Brady Bunch makes move on Illinois

Tvandermyde

Guys –

First off session has not ended since we don’t have a budget. I don’t know when they will be called back, but it looks like it’s going to be a long summer. Right now, I think the good news is that the Governor does not plan to call the legislature back and have them cooling their heels in Springfield while, the leaders try to hash out a budget.

Other good news is that the anti-gunners have been unable to move any major items of their agenda this year. We landed two reform bills on the Governor’s desk, HB-182 & HB3714, and reworked a bad task force so it is now balanced.

But the year after year losses by the Brady’s and Co. seems to have made them agitated. This week the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals punted on the Chicago handgun ban lawsuit. We have filed an appeal to the Supreme Court. We believe they will take it, and we believe we will win. But that means that the Brady’s become more desperate. We have evidence of that today.

In the mail I received an invitation to a Brady Campaign fundraiser. The difference is this one is dedicated to an Illinois Political Action Committee – PAC. The Brady’s have formed their own Illinois PAC to confront us. We have been hearing all session about them threatening suburban legislators that if they didn’t vote with them, they would work against them in the next election. We saw evidence of that in the last election where we beat them in some of the head to head suburban races.

But this year they have been threatening to spend $75,000 against a single republican to try and beat them and instill fear in others. Well, with them forming a PAC, it ain’t rumor no more. Attached is the filing of their statement of organization for the PAC and the invitation where the Senate President and Mayor Daley will be headlining a reception for them.

Below is a column their political director wrote. Note the date is one day after they filed their paperwork with the State Board of Elections.

Guys, its game on. We have been working to put together a grassroots network in legislative districts. Now that the legislature is out, I have a lot more time to dedicate to this. We need it now more than ever.

We need everyone in and the more the merrier. If we are to truly go head to head with the anti-gunners, it’s going to take more than luck.

I know the Supreme should rule by this time next year on the Chicago handgun ban. But we have a primary between now and then. Petitions start in August. But the lawsuit only deals with handguns. It doesn’t deal with a semi-auto rifle ban or anyone of a number of issues that we have faced every year. While I am optimistic about what may happen, I prefer to have a say and some control over events here in Illinois instead of hoping, praying and waiting for 5 men in black robes to provide the salvation.

The time for talking about it is over. We need everyone in ASAP. I’ll be calling soon.

Like I said before -- GAME ON.

Todd

p.s. below are portions of the column the Brady guy wrote last month.

"Illinois was selected to be part of this strategy because of the strength of organizations and advocacy in the state. The electoral strategy in Illinois is exactly what we did in California. We know it works. We are raising money in Illinois that is specifically earmarked to hold people accountable. We have a comprehensive strategy that involves raising funds, getting our message out on the phone and through the mail, and working in conjunction with other interested parties."

"What else does this strategy involve? We call it the concentric circle strategy. First, you want to make sure that all of your urban legislators are voting with you – you start with the areas that are most affected. In Illinois, that means asking if all Chicago legislators are on our side. If not, we have to take care of that. The point is, get your areas of strength locked up. Then, move into the ring of suburbs that border Chicago. Then you go to the next “ring.”

"One of the things our movement has done well is educate policymakers on issues. But one of the things it has not done well – but is doing better now -- is think politically. What we have to do is start making legislators fear that we may have to come after them. We know, for example, that if you are voting against us in the Chicago suburbs, defeat must happen. If not the first time, then by the third or fourth."

bradyPACFR.pdf

bradyPAC_SOO.pdf

First off we protect our base. That includes the suburban guys they are going after.

At the same we have been attacking their base. We may not be able to get the white city liberal. But we have been able to make moves on the black caucus. They recognise this and that is why they made a move to oust one of the black caucus reps that supported us. But this year, we have more than two helping out.

Which leads me to a couple other ideas about how to attack their base. If we are capable of doing so we undermine what they think they have.

they are so flustered with they way they have been beaten in Illinois, they don't knwo what to do. I think they see their best hope before a second supreme court decision cripples them, is to take on a couple of suburban repubs and either beat them or bloody their noses.

We can do that and more if things are right. We might even be able to raise a bunch more money than they can, but we shall see come June 30 when they have to file their report.

The Brady’s have formed their own Illinois PAC to confront us. We have been hearing all session about them threatening suburban legislators that if they didn’t vote with them, they would work against them in the next election. We saw evidence of that in the last election where we beat them in some of the head to head suburban races.

But this year they have been threatening to spend $75,000 against a single republican to try and beat them and instill fear in others. Well, with them forming a PAC, it ain’t rumor no more.

Is the NRA going to form an Illinois PAC, too, in order to counter this??

Archived