Wheaton Town Hall Educational Meeting

boog

I received a phone call last night from our friend Rosanna Pulido. There will will be a meeting on Tuesday the 5th of May from 7PM till 9PM at the Wheaton Town Hall where we will be able to give our side of the gun issues. This will be a forum, not like the meeting a week ago where we were not allowed to speak. We are trying to get as many young people there as possible so that they can be educated on the proper use and SAFETY of firearms. I don't have the full details of what will be discussed as of now, but in the coming days, we will have some kind of an outline. Please keep this evening open, let's fill this place up with Law Abiding gun owners. Try to bring young people also, so that they can see that we aren't the bad people, we just believe that everyone has the right to protect themselves and their families. I will post more when I have more details.

boog

Thats great Boog! ....... Remember approximately 30 people were turned away (both pro and anti) at the door due to the rooms capacity last week.

Will we have a meeting schedule posted (Start time - finish) ? For some reason I seem to have felt the meeting last week was ended before its planned length . :thumbsup: Perhaps video feed into the stairways? It would be a shame to turn away people hoping to attend.

Maybe when at the meeting, the loudmouth that has been spouting off at previous meetings will show up and you can have a civil discussion with him and let him know he isn't helping our cause at all.

i had a discussion with garand69 about that last night at the legion hall. we are going to try and have a talk with him, as he is not helping our cause at all when he gets's p***** and yells then walks out. we will see what happens. it is always best not to lose your temper.

boog

i had a discussion with garand69 about that last night at the legion hall. we are going to try and have a talk with him, as he is not helping our cause at all when he gets's p***** and yells then walks out. we will see what happens. it is always best not to lose your temper.

boog

Do you know this gentleman and plan to speak with him in advance or do you plan to speak with him if he shows up?

Molly B.

I received a phone call last night from our friend Rosanna Pulido. There will will be a meeting on Tuesday the 5th of May from 7PM till 9PM at the Wheaton Town Hall ...

boog

I have been invited to speak at the meeting on the state of CC in IL. I will also speak about efforts to pass Pro-2A Resolutions at Township Annual Meetings in counties that have not or will not consider the Pro-2A Resolution.

I worked on Pro-2A township resolutions recently in Lake County. Unfortunately, we did not begin this effort early enough to obtain an agenda item for the annual town meetings in any of the 18 townships. We were unable to get the resolution on the agenda in all but one township because of a 2008 change in the Illinois Township Code by the GA. The paragraph that allowed adoption of new agenda items by a 3/5 majority of the electors present at an annual township meeting was dropped.

In Wauconda Township, despite the statutory change above, one of our team members presented a motion to add consideration of a Pro-2A advisory referendum to the annual town meeting agenda. The motion was seconded and passed by the electors present. The member then offered a motion to consider a resolution to place a Pro-2A advisory referendum on the ballot at the next regular election in Wauconda Township pursuant to Illinois Township Code. The motion was seconded and passed by a vote of 15-2. It is now up to supporters to educate their Wauconda Township neighbors on the Pro-2A resolution and make sure they vote yes on the resolution at the 2010 Primary Election.

There remains much work to do on this effort. We intend to lobby township boards in counties that have not adopted the Pro-2A Resolution to find which ones have majority support for the Pro-2A Resolution. We anticipate that some township boards will be willing to consider and adopt the Pro-2A Resolution.

In other cases, supporters may elect to petition for a Special Township Meeting under the Illinois Township Code. Supporters would have to file a petition with the township clerk for a special township meeting signed by at least 15 township electors (registered voters). The petition would have to include the Pro-2A Resolution advisory referendum as the agenda item for the special meeting. At the special meeting, supporters would move to consider the resolution, discuss it, and vote to place the resolution question on the ballot at the next regular election in the township.

boog

Do you know this gentleman and plan to speak with him in advance or do you plan to speak with him if he shows up?

Molly B.

i do not know him at all, i just think it would be a good idea if someone approaches him and politely asks him if he could please control himself. and yes i will voluteer to do this, i am half this mans size and he could probably break me in half, but i also know that it is possible to reason with some people like that if approached the right way, i have done this several times in the past with my job, i am a land surveyor and deal with a lot of attorneys, in some instances they have called my office screaming at anyone who answers the phone, but within a few seconds i have calmed them down. i have been told by several people that i have a calming voice, maybe it's a gift. i don't know. i will say that he doesn't need to be surrounded by a big group of people. that appears threating and that is not good. one on one i believe is the proper approach. i must also say that he was sitting right in front of me at the last meeting in wheaton. after the meeting was abruptly ended, his wife said something about the pledge of allegience, my wife was sitting behind her and told her that she was right. that is when his wife and mine both stood up and started reciting it, then everyone joined in. so if he does show up i would like to have everyones permission to have a short talk with him.

boog

I'm a Wheaton resident so whatever I can do to help out, please let me know.

I also have the e-mail address of the student advisor from Wheaton North and Ms. Jordan. Let me know and I can invite them and their students to attend and/or forward their addresses on to someone here.

I would suggest that we invite ICHV/LCAV/LWV and host a true forum/debate, where each side gets a set amount of time to present followed by a Q&A session.

E-mail - scout26 at sbcglobal dot net

Or call me, my cell phone number is on the aurorasc.org website under president.

The most important thing is that we present ourselves as the calm, rational individuals. I'm also willing to help explain to Mr Rant-n-Rave that he is not helping our cause.

There are ways to show video in the council chambers.

There are two that we should show.

I would start off with our very own: http://www.illinoiscarry.com/betteroffdead-ILcc.swf

John Stossel Gun Control Myths: (4:32 runtime)

There are videos of VT Student for Campus Concealed Carry:

i have just spoken to roseanne and here is the e-mail that she sent

Rosanna Pulido

www.rosannapulido2009.com

--- On Wed, 4/29/09, Rosanna <aimfire2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Second Amendment Forum Wheaton City Hall ...May 5th 2009

To: tmcevill@cusd200.org

Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 6:12 PM

Mr. Tim McFrilly,

Hello, I wanted to take the time to write and invite you and your students to a High School lead forum we are holding on Tuesday May 5Th at 7PM-9PM.

It will take place at Wheaton City Hall. Here is the announcement we sent out:

Du Page County residents and Illinois citizens present....

"Education is our best defense"

A Second Amendment, right to bear arms forum

Tuesday May 5Th 2009 7PM-9PM

At Wheaton City Hall Council Chambers

Our future Student leaders/High School students who are Second Amendment supporters invite Wheaton and neighboring communities to a forum on Tuesday May 5Th 2009 7PM-9PM.

Various students will talk about their future as it relates to the Right to bear arms, as well as why they are actively involved in training and education as it relates to the 2ND Amendment.

Their featured Speaker of the evening is Dr. Paula Bratich, Second Amendment Sisters Co- Coordinator Illinois Chapter. She will address concerns of women who deserve the opportunity to defend themselves.

Don Castella will update us on Conceal and Carry efforts in respective counties.

We invite people who would like to ask questions and discuss their supporting or opposing views. We will offer time at the end of the forum for open discussion.

This forum is free. If you need more information please call 773-250-3399 and leave a message.

Sincerely,

Rosanna Pulido

So what has been done to get the word out to people?

I'm planning on showing up and dragging a few more locals along with, but has this been crossposted anywhere else?

This is the only place I've seen it but I think you visit more boards than I do.

Is there any way to get an ISRA alert out on this event? Someone's got to have some contacts.

John

I'm planning on showing up and dragging a few more locals along with, but has this been crossposted anywhere else?

This is the only place I've seen it but I think you visit more boards than I do.

Is there any way to get an ISRA alert out on this event? Someone's got to have some contacts.

John

The problem I see is that the details have been very minimal and without more info I don't see the ISRA being able to send out an alert to support it without more info. They may have a different view but that is just my thoughts.

John

The problem I see is that the details have been very minimal and without more info I don't see the ISRA being able to send out an alert to support it without more info. They may have a different view but that is just my thoughts.

i just sent mike weisman a copy of it.

Ok, I've sent out copies of the announcement to a couple of forums and mailing lists.

Here is what I sent:

From the announcement:

Du Page County residents and Illinois citizens present....

"Education is our best defense"

A Second Amendment, right to bear arms forum

Tuesday May 5Th 2009 7PM-9PM

At Wheaton City Hall Council Chambers

WHERE: Wheaton (Illinois) City Hall, Council Chambers, 303 West Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL

Our future Student leaders/High School students who are Second Amendment supporters invite Wheaton and neighboring communities to a forum on Tuesday May 5Th 2009 7PM-9PM.

Various students will talk about their future as it relates to the Right to bear arms, as well as why they are actively involved in training and education as it relates to the 2ND Amendment.

Their featured Speaker of the evening is Dr. Paula Bratich, Second Amendment Sisters Co- Coordinator Illinois Chapter. She will address concerns of women who deserve the opportunity to defend themselves.

Don Castella will update us on Conceal and Carry efforts in respective counties.

We invite people who would like to ask questions and discuss their supporting or opposing views. We will offer time at the end of the forum for open discussion.

––-

This is the flip-side to the anti-gun "debate" held by the League of Women voters at the last meeting. As some of you know, there was a gag order put in place and the debate was limited to 3 questions. Please come out and help support this debate as we do expect the other side to try to crowd this meeting and try to put us on the defensive.

WHEN: Tuesday May 5Th 2009 7PM-9PM

WHERE: Wheaton (Illinois) City Hall, Council Chambers, 303 West Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL

In todays Daily Herald there was a letter to the editor regarding the "forum" the anti-gun league of women voters had.....

I posted the info for this one on their "comments" section.....

In todays Daily Herald there was a letter to the editor regarding the "forum" the anti-gun league of women voters had.....

I posted the info for this one on their "comments" section.....

Link to the letter:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=289869&src=

Wow, that's pretty cool. Maybe that namecalling guy from the comments shows up and hopefully we get a good debate going. :lips sealed:

Remember, everyone is entitled to their "opinion". It behooves us to point out that certain held beliefs are in fact their "opinion" and not fact. :thumbsup: Especially when it comes down to name calling.

Daily Herald has picked it up!

http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=290993

Gun-rights advocates won't be silenced at upcoming Wheaton forum

By Robert Sanchez | Daily Herald Staff

Just because they weren't allowed to speak during a recent gun control forum in Wheaton doesn't mean a group of gun-rights supporters will keep silent.

In fact, many gun owners' rights advocates voiced displeasure over what they called a "one-sided" April 21 forum hosted by several League of Women Voters chapters and the Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

On Tuesday night, it's their turn to take the podium at Wheaton city hall.

Rosanna Pulido, who recently ran as the Republican candidate in Illinois' 5th Congressional District, has organized a forum about the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. She said the event is a response to dozens of gun-rights supporters being prohibited from speaking during last month's gun control meeting.

"To make up their minds, people must hear both sides of the story," Pulido said.

Last month's forum was organized to educate Wheaton North High School students about "sensible gun laws." But the event became contentious after more than 170 people, many of them gun-rights supporters, showed up.

Michelle Jordan, who moderated the meeting, says the last-minute decision to ban public comment was made because several audience members were being disruptive and making catcalls. Someone heckled the main speaker, a Chicago man who survived the Virginia Tech massacre two years ago.

Gun-rights supporters in the crowd later accused Jordan of inviting the discord by being "rude and dismissive" to them. "I have never before in my life been called rude or dismissive," said Jordan, state counsel for the Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Pulido says Tuesday's forum will give everyone the opportunity to express their views. She said she plans to devote at least 40 minutes to public comment and questions.

Mike Weisman, first vice president of the Illinois State Rifle Association, said he hopes the forum is well received.

"It was the right of the people who organized that (April 21 meeting) to do whatever they want to - to have it be a non-forum," Weisman said. "So if pro-gun people want to get out and have an interactive forum, more power to them."

Pulido said many of the dozen or so speakers expected to talk are local high school students who are "actively involved in shooting sports and defending the Second Amendment."

The featured speaker will be Paula Bratich, co-coordinator of the Second Amendment Sisters' Illinois chapter. Another speaker, Don Castella, is expected to provide an update about efforts to pass conceal-and-carry legislation in the state.

While event organizers say gun control advocates are invited to participate, Jordan said the Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence isn't planning to send a representative.

Tuesday's forum is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. in the council chambers of Wheaton city hall, 303 W. Wesley St.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Wonder why the Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence isn't going to make a presence........

Anyone??

Anyone????

Bueller????

Someone heckled the main speaker, a Chicago man who survived the Virginia Tech massacre two years ago.
Damnit, this really chaffs me. That one line ruins the whole article for us.

I'm gonna try to be there after work. I'll bring my video camera if I can get there. If the event is packed I'll film what goes on outside the meeting and see if I can get some interviews with the people who couldn't get in.

Archived