SB0072 CRIM CD-UNLAW USE WEAPONS

45superman

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that it is not a violation of the statutes concerning unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon to carry or possess any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser, or other firearm in one's dwelling. Effective immediately.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp...ID=76&GA=96

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that it is not a violation of the statutes concerning unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon to carry or possess any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser, or other firearm in one's dwelling. Effective immediately.

Does that mean I wouldnt be a criminal if my foid expired & my renewed card wasnt here yet???

Does that mean I wouldnt be a criminal if my foid expired & my renewed card wasnt here yet???

The way I read it, it's just like HB 182--every where that the criminal code says "abode," it will now say "abode or dwelling." My guess is that it's something that only matters to lawyer types. 1957Human explained the probably reasoning behind it somewhere.

Now IANAL but doesn't the FOID Act require you to have one merely to have possession of any firearm or ammunition?

So while this bill could stop you from being prosecuted for UUW, you would still be subject to arrest for violating the FOID Act, wouldn't you? :thumbsup:

I think the main focus of the bill is ~ "In ones dwelling". You'de still need the foid to transport, purchase, etc... This bill looks like it would cover you if there was a lapse with your renewal. You wouldnt magically become a criminal for having firearms/ammo in your own home. However, your stuff would be 'landlocked' until your new card came.

Archived