I believe that there is, right now, a very strong need for us to figure out the finer points of this resolution. Specifically, how, where, what authority, what "legal" approach the resolution will use. The sheriff, although 110% behind THE PEOPLE and their right to bear arms, did state last night that he can't do the permits unless the "lawyers" say so. By "lawyers" he means the Winnebago County States Attorney Phil Nicolosi.
I believe this presents a problem, or could, if we go forth with this without nailing this part down first. I would like to discuss other options. I would like to discuss strategies for this, and give the board some more things to consider before it's too late. The LAST thing we need is all of this effort to go to waste when the end result is a big goose egg.
One thing to keep in mind: Winnebago County does NOT have home rule.
Options I see:
- Have sheriff issue permits
- Have the county clerk issue permits
- Have the board themselves issue permits
- Health and welfare of the people
- Acknowledge the "state of emergency" we are in due to Illinois infringing upon the natural right of self-defense -- a right upon which the order and wellness in society depends
- Stand upon the Second Amendment and the OATH SWORN BY ALL TRUE PUBLIC OFFICIALS TO UPHOLD AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION. The 2nd is clear in black and white -- it does not need to be "translated" because it is in perfect and simple English, it does not need to be "interpreted" by lawyers or anyone else. The board has the DUTY to finish what they started and stand upon their oaths of office to see this thing through.
The bottom-line problem is that no single elected official wants to take the fall for this thing after it happens. The sheriff doesn't want to be sued or charged with a crime by the state. The county clerk would probably feel the same. So who's going to issue the permits? Perhaps the board should do it themselves -- perhaps the CCW committee should do it. I don't know, I don't have the answer, but I'm looking for it. I've been talking to lawyers to try to figure something out. But any of us are as good as lawyers, with some reading.
PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD TO DISCUSSION LEGAL OPTIONS, STANCES, AND STRATEGIES ONLY. PLEASE KEEP ANY OTHER CHATTER/JOKING/GENERAL STATEMENTS OF SUPPORT/ETC OUT. I REALLY THINK THIS IS SERIOUS IF WE'RE GOING TO SEE THIS THING SURVIVE THE ONSLAUGHT THAT IS SURE TO COME FROM THE STATE.