Firearms on College Campuses

Grigdaniel

For most universities and colleges in this great state, with a CCL it is totally legal to have a loaded firearm in my car while I'm in direct control of the vehicle correct?

It can also be loaded and properly locked in the car, when you are not in the car, in no-gun zones like schools. Your vehicle is considered a safe harbor. You may carry while within, even in a no gun area, like a school parking lot, government building lot, etc, which would normally be a no gun zone. You may carry, to leave the car in these zones, to put the gun. or retrieve it from your trunk.

For most universities and colleges in this great state, with a CCL it is totally legal to have a loaded firearm in my car while I'm in direct control of the vehicle correct?

It can also be loaded and properly locked in the car, when you are not in the car, in no-gun zones like schools. Your vehicle is considered a safe harbor. You may carry while within, even in a no gun area, like a school parking lot, government building lot, etc, which would normally be a no gun zone. You may carry, to leave the car in these zones, to put the gun. or retrieve it from your trunk.

I thought colleges had the right to force you to park your car in a designated area if you had a firearm in it?

I thought colleges had the right to force you to park your car in a designated area if you had a firearm in it?

Would anyone in their right mind park their car in that lot? "Here it is, pop my window, steal my gun!" Yeah, sure. "Force" me? Not.

I can find plenty of other parking places than a designated "gun about to be stolen" parking lot!

They have that option per 430 ILCS 66/65(a-5)(3). But I haven't ever seen documentation that any have done so.

Would anyone in their right mind park their car in that lot? "Here it is, pop my window, steal my gun!" Yeah, sure. "Force" me? Not.

I can find plenty of other parking places than a designated "gun about to be stolen" parking lot!

Logic is not a strong point of anti-gun people...or...you could argue they clearly know of the unintended consequences of their legislation and are doing it on purpose.

They have that option per 430 ILCS 66/65(a-5)(3). But I haven't ever seen documentation that any have done so.

I believe NIU has parking areas where firearms are specifically prohibited even in your vehicle. I don't know how that can be enforced, given its basically the reverse of the law.

I believe NIU has parking areas where firearms are specifically prohibited even in your vehicle. I don't know how that can be enforced, given its basically the reverse of the law.

As long as they have other lots where firearms aren't prohibited, they're fine... that's what that section of the law means.

They have special parking for cars with firearms? Do they also have signage for this? Have material that they disseminate saying "park here if you have a gun"? If so, that's REALLY REALLY stupid. Like, incredibly, earth shattering idiocy. Hope no car is burglarized and has a firearm stolen or the school ought to be held liable for giving criminals a road map to the gun(s). "Hey, criminals. Guns are in this lot...." State-created danger.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

They have special parking for cars with firearms? Do they also have signage for this? Have material that they disseminate saying "park here if you have a gun"? If so, that's REALLY REALLY stupid. Like, incredibly, earth shattering idiocy. Hope no car is burglarized and has a firearm stolen or the school ought to be held liable for giving criminals a road map to the gun(s). "Hey, criminals. Guns are in this lot...." State-created danger. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have not interviewed NIU or anything, what I did is find a PDF online outlining how they will have certain posted "restricted" parking lots where firearms are NOT allowed in vehicles.

Take a read for yourself

PDF warning

http://www.niu.edu/board/policies/Concealed_Carry_University_Policy_082913.pdf

No idea if it is being enforced, if its been scrapped, it was posted here at one point years and years ago

Yeah that draft is useless for determining what is and what isn't a restricted lot. They draft the rules, then more bureaucrats draft the rules for the rules, and so on.

"Certain parking areas on Campus may be designated as areas where weapons and firearms are not permitted."

That should say "...where lawfully possessed weapons and firearms are not permitted."

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived