Photo

Wilson v. Cook County (Semi-Auto Gun Ban)

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

#211 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

Why would the bolt need removing?

Something about being illegal to posess in Cook County. Perhaps there is an exception if it is a non-functional firearm.
Howard Roark
Yay guns!!! boooo anti-gunners!

#212 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

It was in the possession of the manufacturer, Mr. Mark Westrom. It was legal.

Yes, I sort of assumed it was done legally, just wasn't sure whether legality was achieved by rendering it in-operable or by some other exception in the Cook County ordinance.
Howard Roark

#213 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

Has anyone heard any more about this case since Sept?

#214 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

Response brief was due Nov. 18th.

Courtís Order granting the Motion for appearances pro hac vice of Brady center counsel

several amici filings
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

my posts are moderated due to some butthurt on the part of IC people not liking my comments at times

#215 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Todd! Good to know it's not just sitting around stagnating. :Drunk emoticon: I was waiting for the Bradys to get their noses into it.

Edited by Talonap, 22 November 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#216 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

I know that the Brady Center and Brady Campaign are two somewhat different organizations ... but I must say that I've heard relatively little out of the Brady Center over the past few months. I suspect it's possible that more of their resources are going into fighting these myriad gun control court cases.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#217 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Response brief was due Nov. 18th.

Courtís Order granting the Motion for appearances pro hac vice of Brady center counsel

several amici filings

Despite what you'd think, "pro hac" is not short for "Professional Hack".

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#218 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'm hearing that Brady is in, so is LCAV and the inflatables. Chicago has filed for a brief.

Now I am chasing down the ghosts, but one report has Cook County asking for another extension. And the amici wanting an extension beyond that.

Either they are incompotent, lazy, understaffed or trying to drag this out or all of the above.

We heard earlier this year, that the Chicago anti-gun strategy was to drag this out, hope for a second Obama term and then wait to replace 1 or more of the five with a anti-Heller justice.

We will just have to wait and see.
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

my posts are moderated due to some butthurt on the part of IC people not liking my comments at times

#219 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,712 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

I'm hearing that Brady is in, so is LCAV and the inflatables. Chicago has filed for a brief.

Now I am chasing down the ghosts, but one report has Cook County asking for another extension. And the amici wanting an extension beyond that.

Either they are incompotent, lazy, understaffed or trying to drag this out or all of the above.

We heard earlier this year, that the Chicago anti-gun strategy was to drag this out, hope for a second Obama term and then wait to replace 1 or more of the five with a anti-Heller justice.

We will just have to wait and see.

And work our butts off to make sure that Obama doesn't get a chance to replace any of the five!!
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#220 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Sheesh. What a strategy. The courts would/should skin them alive if that strategy can be demonstrated.

That would be a violation of Wilson's 1A rights (right to petition government for a redress of grievances).
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#221 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Sheesh. What a strategy. The courts would/should skin them alive if that strategy can be demonstrated.

That would be a violation of Wilson's 1A rights (right to petition government for a redress of grievances).

Just need a leaked email or memo...

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#222 scough

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

Just need a leaked email or memo...

Where's Wikileaks when you need 'em?

#223 chicago guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

On a different, but related note -- The Joyce Foundation is the major funder of all these groups. During Beatrice Joyce's life the Foundation was never involved in anti second amendment activities. With a Self-perpetuating board there is no check on how they can decide to spend the money. I wonder if a court could find that these activities are not what she intended. It is rare, I think, for a court to "reform a trust" but it has been done. At least the publicity might slow them down a bit. Do we have any legal scholars who could persue this line of reasoning?

Just a thought.

#224 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,712 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

As I've watched this whole issue for the last 4-5 years, it's become very clear to me that Chicago politicians don't give two ***ts about the constitution. State or Federal. They truly don't think that any laws; moral, civil, criminal, local, state or Federal apply to them at all. They are "special" and their little world is so unique that it can't be bound or bothered by any laws except those that they write.

I'm at a loss for words to describe my feelings about this.

I guess I'm not really at a loss, it's just that if I use the ones that I'm thinking right now, I'd probably be banned.

AB

Edited by abolt243, 22 November 2011 - 02:22 PM.
"not at a loss"

Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#225 colt-45

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

leak it to the press, what there strategy is and see what happens.

#226 Sigma

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

wait til obama wins then wait til a justice retires then hope the Senate approves the nomination then proceed with the case?

What a bunch of idiots.
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#227 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

here is the County's brief.

Our side has filed a motion extending time our time to respond to 12/16.

Attached Files

#228 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hope our side goes with the, "Dangerous or Unusual", or, "Not in Common Use", weapons they mention in this brief. Should be able to show that neither of these arguments are true. Wonder how many AR types people own?

Edited by Talonap, 24 November 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#229 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Todd. Reading those arguments as a whole ... it seems (to me at least) that this one is Wilson's to lose. The County's pivotal arguments are either easily refuted (semiautos aren't "dangerous" and certainly not unusual), or easily cast into much doubt (regarding how well they further a substantial governmental interest).

In terms of determining efficacy of the county's gun ban, I truly hope that some of the fact-finding in this case will point to how effectively the county's ban has been enforced since 1993. I suspect that would be very telling, in terms of illuminating how necessary said law truly is to the county's interests.

That said, am I correct in that a loss at the IL Supreme Court would allow Wilson to appeal directly to SCOTUS?
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#230 Druid

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

That said, am I correct in that a loss at the IL Supreme Court would allow Wilson to appeal directly to SCOTUS?

That's correct.

#231 Druid

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

FYI: Oral arguments schedule for the morning of Wed. Jan 18, in Springfield, probably around 9:30AM. I'll be there.

#232 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

FYI: Oral arguments schedule for the morning of Wed. Jan 18, in Springfield, probably around 9:30AM. I'll be there.

We'll be with you in spirit!

--George Orwell

#233 Sigma

• Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

what do you all think the outcome will be
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#234 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

I'm about 66% confident Wilson will prevail.

--George Orwell

#235 Druid

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

This case has been going on for so very long, I have a hard time imagining its conclusion anytime soon.

#236 TFC

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

The judge is in a bind. The Chicago machine wants one thing, the Constitution demands another. :tinfoilhat:
Do what the law demands, then become a political pariah. Do what the machine wants; find yourself stuck at the same level for the rest of his/her career.... (no chance at supreme court.)
~If you speak of a gun as a toy, then you see medical waste as playground filler. Yes, it means you're a screwed up individual.~
~"An invasion of mainland America is unwise. Behind every blade of grass a rifle would await us"
-Yamamoto Isoroku
I predicted that Chicago/Cook county will be sold out in order to get "shall issue".
Based on the restrictions on carry in Chicago/Cook County, I was right.

...doing just enough to keep them out of Federal Court...

#237 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,464 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

In Springfield? That surprises me. I just thought with Cook Co. being involved it would have to be in the northern district court.

Edited by Molly B., 21 December 2011 - 03:56 PM.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#238 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

In Springfield? That surprises me. I just thought with Cook Co. being involved it would have to be in the northern district court.

It's the IL Supreme Court.

--George Orwell

#239 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,464 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

Where's the "face palm" smiley?
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#240 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Where's the "face palm" smiley?

funny transition here on the face palm! all good !

David's estimate of 66 pct for us is probably right. I wish it was 100 percent.

See ya'll soon.
Howard Roark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users