Meyers vs Schmitz

jmeyers

We would need to ask, if a non-resident obtained an Illinois CCL and then moved to Illinois, do they still have a valid license or will they need to reapply as a resident?

Since this was bumped, I started re-reading the thread and this caught my attention. I wonder if this situation has occurred and what the result was?

Simple. They would lose their CCL. Anyone that moves TO Illinois could not possibly pass a mental fitness test!!

We would need to ask, if a non-resident obtained an Illinois CCL and then moved to Illinois, do they still have a valid license or will they need to reapply as a resident?

Since this was bumped, I started re-reading the thread and this caught my attention. I wonder if this situation has occurred and what the result was?

Simple. They would lose their CCL. Anyone that moves TO Illinois could not possibly pass a mental fitness test!!

Definitely not!! :pinch: :no: :rofl:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Once again, no surprise here, just as in Culp v Madigan, the state has filed for and was granted a Time Extension (4th one) to March 29 by the Illinois Appellate Courts.

This time the reason was as follows:

Due to the sensitive nature of this proceeding I have been informed that one of the supervisors who must review the draft will be unavailable for the next two weeks because of his involvement in a case before the US Supreme Court. Accordingly I must request an additional extension of time of 35 days to ensure that there is adequate time for our internal review, as well as our client review.

Moreover, I also need to turn my attention to a brief that is due on a final extension on March 6, 208 in the Appellate Courts. In addition to completing the brief in this case, I will need to draft the brief in the case referenced above.

The Defendant-Appellee has requested three previous extensions of time to file his brief. He seeks not to delay this appeal unnecessarily, but instead to ensure that his counsel submits a brief that represents the states interests and is as thorough and helpful tho this Court as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Last I checked, having an unmanageable caseload isn't an excuse for slow rolling anything. It's an ethical violation.

I get the point and realize that the Ag's office (If I recall it is the AG's office, sorry if I am wrong) is probably milking it. However, it is sometimes unfair to hold an assistant AG or assistant state's attorney to an ethical violation concept. I know the rules of professional conduct and even the ABA model rules support your assertion. However, neither an assistant AG or state's attorney can control their caseload. I am not saying that some don't abuse the leeway often granted by a court. However, the choice faced is deal with the workload or quit your job and go to private practice. They don't have the ability to simply turn down a case.

Last I checked, having an unmanageable caseload isn't an excuse for slow rolling anything. It's an ethical violation.

I get the point and realize that the Ag's office (If I recall it is the AG's office, sorry if I am wrong) is probably milking it. However, it is sometimes unfair to hold an assistant AG or assistant state's attorney to an ethical violation concept. I know the rules of professional conduct and even the ABA model rules support your assertion. However, neither an assistant AG or state's attorney can control their caseload. I am not saying that some don't abuse the leeway often granted by a court. However, the choice faced is deal with the workload or quit your job and go to private practice. They don't have the ability to simply turn down a case.

The buck stops with Lisa. I wouldn't advocate ARDC proceedings to suspend or disbar an AAG who's simply been directed to handle a case. I'd advocate for ARDC proceedings against Lisa herself for multiple reasons. This not even being close to the most egregious violation. She's busy going after Trump when she should be going added ISP for screwing with FOOD and CCL issuance. Or...Chicago for ignoring preemption. Or or or. I simply made the point that it isn't an excuse because courts keep accepting it as an excuse. Show cause order, demand the AAG's superior to appear and explain why these AAGs have unmanageable caseloads or face contempt citation.

BEST News ever coming out of Illinois Today

This court being fully advised, IT IS ORDERED that appellee's fifth Motion for Extension of Time to File is DENIED. Brief is due March 29, 2018

Congrats!

I was wondering what would happen if they dis get another extension and then tried to do an end around stating Lisa will be leaving office shortly yada yada yada

The buck stops with Lisa. I wouldn't advocate ARDC proceedings to suspend or disbar an AAG who's simply been directed to handle a case. I'd advocate for ARDC proceedings against Lisa herself for multiple reasons. This not even being close to the most egregious violation. She's busy going after Trump when she should be going added ISP for screwing with FOOD and CCL issuance. Or...Chicago for ignoring preemption. Or or or. I simply made the point that it isn't an excuse because courts keep accepting it as an excuse. Show cause order, demand the AAG's superior to appear and explain why these AAGs have unmanageable caseloads or face contempt citation.

I completely agree.

This court being fully advised, IT IS ORDERED that appellee's fifth Motion for Extension of Time to File is DENIED. Brief is due March 29, 2018

So, if the brief is not produced by the deadline, does that mean the case is forfeited and ruled in favor of the plaintiff?

What are the ramifications of that if it happens?

So, if the brief is not produced by the deadline, does that mean the case is forfeited and ruled in favor of the plaintiff?

They claimed last time that their brief was completed, just that the supervisor hadn't had time to review it.

Judge could issue a show cause order as to why the state defendant(a) should not be held in contempt. Judge could simply say "I gave you AMPLE opportunity to file this brief, you didn't, so we will proceed without the benefit of your brief." Depends on how p***** the judge is.

Archived