Email to my Rep

sleepercaprice1

Below is the email I sent today to my representative, Jim Durkin. If he responds, I will post his reply.

Dear Representative Durkin,

I’m writing to find out if you plan to support the current Family and Personal Protection Act, HB 5745. I’m aware that you were a “NO” to similar legislation, HB 0148 last year. I wrote to you and expressed my feelings about your concerns with mentally unbalanced individuals obtaining and carrying firearms due to this legislation.

As we all know, criminals already are carrying firearms on a daily basis on Illinois streets. Fear of being charged with a firearm violation doesn’t seem to deter those who are prepared to engage in much more serious crimes. To deny law abiding citizens the means to effectively protect themselves and their families is truly an injustice. To deny me my right to protect myself because someone else might misuse a weapon is no different than denying me a drivers license because someone else might be a drunk driver.

I urge you to do some soul-searching and decide if you can deny your constituents this basic human right with good conscience.

Thank you,

Below is the email I sent today to my representative, Jim Durkin. If he responds, I will post his reply.

I’m writing to find out if you plan to support the current Family and Personal Protection Act, HB 5745. I’m aware that you were a “NO” to similar legislation, HB 0148 last year. I wrote to you and expressed my feelings about your concerns with mentally unbalanced individuals obtaining and carrying firearms due to this legislation.

As we all know, criminals already are carrying firearms on a daily basis on Illinois streets. Fear of being charged with a firearm violation doesn’t seem to deter those who are prepared to engage in much more serious crimes. To deny law abiding citizens the means to effectively protect themselves and their families is truly an injustice. To deny me my right to protect myself because someone else might misuse a weapon is no different than denying me a drivers license because someone else might be a drunk driver.

I urge you to do some soul-searching and decide if you can deny your constituents this basic human right with good conscience.

Thank you,

VERY WELL WRITTEN! I don't know if that will change Durkin's mind, but some of the fence-sitters might be swayed by that kind of logic.

Great Job!

Nice. I wish more gun owners were active and engaged like you are Sleeper.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I was half as articulate as you, GF. I'm surprised that more gun owners can't grasp the concept that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

I agree! If just half the gun owners in Illinois would pull their head out and join the ISRA or write a few letters....

Thank you,

Great Letter. Mind if I copy it for others to post as well?

Thanks

Howdy,

Sleeper-just sent 2 emails to Representative Riley( Voted No on HB148), 1 from me & the Mrs. Valinda said to include the wives to make the statement more positive.

I'll be on days next Tuesday, Stop in the WCR for coffee, next week, if you're in Chicago.

jkrzos

Nice. I wish more gun owners were active and engaged like you are Sleeper.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I was half as articulate as you, GF. I'm surprised that more gun owners can't grasp the concept that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Articulate? I was thinking of sending the link below to Ms. Madigan ...

I think Kentucky is having an effect. LOL

I'm also waiting to hear back from Durkin (again). Hopefully the fact that he is picking up more of Will County will cause him to reconsider his stance on concealed carry. His secretary up here in the suburbs, Mary, has always been really pleasant to talk to, but it's tough to gauge from her if he is reconsidering his position. I try to call every few weeks and hope that it helps.

I thought your letter was great.

I received a reply from Rep. Durkin today as follows:

Bill- I will give this bill further consideration and I have agreed to meet with the ISRA to talk this through.

Jim Durkin

It sounds like maybe the pressure is getting home to him, but really, I read his response as

"Bill- I will give my decision to continue to deny you your rights as guaranteed in the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution some further consideration".

I agree that the response was about as non-commital as it could possibly be short of saying he is opposed to concealed carry. I did thank him for being open minded and asked again that he consider the fact that criminals are carrying deadly weapons every day while his law abiding constituents remain defenseless.

Bill- I will give this bill further consideration and I have agreed to meet with the ISRA to talk this through.

Jim Durkin

It sounds like maybe the pressure is getting home to him, but really, I read his response as

"Bill- I will give my decision to continue to deny you your rights as guaranteed in the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution some further consideration".

Nail, meet hammer.

Jim Durkin

Nail, meet hammer.

Never know the ISRA might be it into him :(

Archived