New Veteran’s ID Card

kwc

Got email overnight that the site is back up. Applied for my card early this morning.

seems it's "invitation only" at this point

Yep, yesterday, left my email twice with no reply from them.

rather than build a system with capacity to handle the load make the peasants wait - i wonder if renewal of our permission slips will be be like that

I have been getting a "My information can't be accessed and to call 1-855-574-7286" they directed me to contact the Ill ANG base at Peoria or the Naval Reserve at Peoria to obtain the Veterans ID Card. Both say they don't provide the card. I then E-Mailed a Mr Shimski at the VA. He said he would look into the situation and get back to me. Nothing has happened since December. I provided all documents required when I registered with ID.ME. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed from here.

Thank you

DHan

I have made two unsuccessful attempts with the application process. Last week on my second attempt, I was able to register my ID, complete all of the online paper work, and when I got to the very end, I got a message stating that I was not in their system and they can not issue a card. I asked the person on the help-line how to proceed and he had no clue. I asked him how they were able to send me a copy of my DD-214 if I was not in the system. Still no clue. So I went to the local VA office in Springfield, and although they were sympathetic and aware of the problems with the ID Card, they were unable to help. So I went to the Sangamon County Veterans Assistance Office in the courthouse. The person there, took a copy of my DD-214, my DL, my CC license, and a photo. They advised that they will issue a VA ID Card and I should have it 5-10 days. The VA Office then recorded my DD-214 with the County Recorder. This process was very easy and free. Two weeks ago I spoke with a member of US Rep Darin La Hood's office about the problems with the on-line ID Card process. He was well aware of the issue as he himself had tried unsuccessfully to obtain a card through the on-line process. Apparently, the VA is blaming the failure of their system on Congress. It is not surprising that the VA would not own up to any of their own failures. That is how they do business in an unaccountable bureaucracy.

I went to the Peoria County Veterans Assistance office about the Veterans ID Card. They refused to help. They didn't seem to have knowledge of the card. I was told all veterans are not entitled to the card, and I just should get my DD214 recorded at the Court House and get my Drivers License stamped. I am beginning to wonder if all the hassle trying to get the card is worth it!

I went to the Peoria County Veterans Assistance office about the Veterans ID Card. They refused to help. They didn't seem to have knowledge of the card. I was told all veterans are not entitled to the card, and I just should get my DD214 recorded at the Court House and get my Drivers License stamped. I am beginning to wonder if all the hassle trying to get the card is worth it!

I decided it wasn't after several failed attempts. Might try again when they get the bugs out. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would need it for. I keep a photo of my DD214 on my cell phone and this has been useful on several occasions.

• 3 months later...

According to this Military.com article, the new Veterans ID cards are rolling out now.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/03/veteran-id-card-will-finally-ship-week-official.html

checks in the mail

if you like you doctor you can keep your doctor

nobody wants to take your guns

I decided it wasn't after several failed attempts. Might try again when they get the bugs out. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would need it for. I keep a photo of my DD214 on my cell phone and this has been useful on several occasions.

I have arrived at the same conclusion. If I need to prove my status you can see my war wounds. The VA is good for getting meds and that is about it if you are that lucky. I have other words about the VA, but I do not need another PM from The Resident Old Guy.

When I was discharged, My DD214 paperwork came with a laminated wallet size miniature.

Have used it to get on Navy base visiting during level 4 threat and multiple other things.

This new ID card does not replace VA health card.

The VA is good for meds and Spinal Cord unit in St Louis JB. I shy away from Hines

Archived