Are vertical Foregrips Legal at this Time?

Buzzard

Here's where it gets confusing. If you have an AR-Pistol with an overall length of 26" or under, then you can't add a foregrip. However, if your pistol is greater than 26", you can add a foregrip because it's then considered a "firearm".

< 26" no foregrip

> 26" foregrip is legal

Here's where it gets confusing. If you have an AR-Pistol with an overall length of 26" or under, then you can't add a foregrip. However, if your pistol is greater than 26", you can add a foregrip because it's then considered a "firearm".

< 26" no foregrip

> 26" foregrip is legal

I thought an angled fore grip (AFG) was permitted on pistols?

< 26" no foregrip

> 26" foregrip is legal

I thought an angled fore grip (AFG) was permitted on pistols?
Correct. I should have been more specific. OP asked about VFGs. VFGs are legal on rifles and or pistols > 26" which is then considered a firearm.

< 26" no foregrip

> 26" foregrip is legal

Interesting. Is that state or federal law? It gets so confusing with AR pistols sometimes.

< 26" no foregrip

> 26" foregrip is legal

Interesting. Is that state or federal law? It gets so confusing with AR pistols sometimes.

It is really confusing. I'm pretty sure that's federal per the NFA/ATF, but don't quote me on that. I know the ATF has some letters out there regarding these issues, and you can head over to r/nfa for more detailed explanations.

When measuring an AR pistol regarding the 26" length, it doesn't include muzzle attachment...

You would think, and that's how I understood it. Then I read this ruling

https://www.isba.org/cases/illinois/appellate/2015/08/04/peoplevshreffler where a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash hider unpinned was ruled legal. In Illinois.

Also has some good info how courts rule on overall length measurements.

When measuring an AR pistol regarding the 26" length, it doesn't include muzzle attachment...

You would think, and that's how I understood it. Then I read this ruling

https://www.isba.org/cases/illinois/appellate/2015/08/04/peoplevshreffler where a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash hider unpinned was ruled legal. In Illinois.

Also has some good info how courts rule on overall length measurements.

If I'm understanding this correctly, they only reversed the charges because of the wording of the Illinois laws on barrel length and overall length.

That would mean that even though the defendant weaseled out of the charges from IL, those firearms are still illegal for him to possess without a tax stamp according to the ATF and the federal gov.

Does this mean that putting a vertical foregrip from an AR on the picatinny rail of my 9mm pistol is a felony? yes
That's ridiculous. No intent or harm required; someone could do that very thing just out of curiosity and suddenly he/she's a felon. Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

You are expecting the government to make sense. Don't do that to yourself.

Not sure how often it's prosecuted, but if you run into the wrong combo of situation and State's Attorney/US Attorney who decides to make an example, it is 100% illegal. Don't take that chance.

Archived