FOID Card Appeal 15 months and counting

I applied for a FOID Card for the first time ever in October 2017 and was approved and received it by November 2017. When I filled out the application online I answered No to the mental health treatment in the past 5 years question. I had received mental health treatment but it was 7 years prior. So to my knowledge I filled out the form accurately. Then I went to change my last name on my FOID Card in May 2018 since my divorce was final and I wanted my name to match my license and SS Card. I went back to my maiden name. Well this must have triggered something in their system because shortly after I received a letter that my FOID Card had been revoked due to me not disclosing the mental health treatment from like 2010 on my application and that if I want to appeal it I would need a medical doctor to sign off that I havent been under treatment since. I hadnt so I went to the doctor immediately and had him sign the proper form and I filed the appeal. This was 15 months ago. Since then Ive called and left numerous messages to the appeals department when their mail box isnt full, which isnt too often. Ive also gone as far as to write a follow up letter. Ive also called the main line to check the status of my appeal and they can see that theyve received my appeal form and mental health certification form and the letter I wrote and its all been entered and its under review but they cant give me any more information than that. Im beginning to think that I wont ever get it back. Any suggestions as to what I should do to speed up this process? I would like to join in dove and shotgun season for white tail deer this year. It really sucks sitting on the sidelines and watching others get deer that I cant get with my bow. Thanks in advance!

Almost like the gang banger here in Illinois who changed his name to GET a FOID card and had such for several years.

Then one year his real name was found out, don’t remember how, and he was revoked as he was a felon form another state.

It’s all convoluted at best, but a wild left field guess would be that having been under a mental order with your other name, it triggered the denial.

Some appeals have taken years as posted on this site.

Depending on how bad you want/need a FOID card, get a lawyer to assist.

It’s a long road through the doctors and facilities to get cleared.

Good Luck

And Welcome to the forums......

I applied for a FOID Card for the first time ever in October 2017 and was approved and received it by November 2017. When I filled out the application online I answered No to the mental health treatment in the past 5 years question. I had received mental health treatment but it was 7 years prior. So to my knowledge I filled out the form accurately. Then I went to change my last name on my FOID Card in May 2018 since my divorce was final and I wanted my name to match my license and SS Card. I went back to my maiden name. Well this must have triggered something in their system because shortly after I received a letter that my FOID Card had been revoked due to me not disclosing the mental health treatment from like 2010 on my application and that if I want to appeal it I would need a medical doctor to sign off that I havent been under treatment since. I hadnt so I went to the doctor immediately and had him sign the proper form and I filed the appeal. This was 15 months ago. Since then Ive called and left numerous messages to the appeals department when their mail box isnt full, which isnt too often. Ive also gone as far as to write a follow up letter. Ive also called the main line to check the status of my appeal and they can see that theyve received my appeal form and mental health certification form and the letter I wrote and its all been entered and its under review but they cant give me any more information than that. Im beginning to think that I wont ever get it back. Any suggestions as to what I should do to speed up this process? I would like to join in dove and shotgun season for white tail deer this year. It really sucks sitting on the sidelines and watching others get deer that I cant get with my bow. Thanks in advance!

Did you return your FOID card to the ISP or local law enforcement? I see a lot of delays in appeals because the ISP says the FOID was never returned. Other than that most appeals are taking anywhere from 1-2 years.

Something weird happened today. I got a letter from the State Police that I need to turn in my FOID Card at my local police station and fill out a form that all guns in my possession have been transferred to someone with a valid FOID Card. This is the first I’ve heard that I need to do this. And I’ve talked to multiple people up there. You’d think in 15 months someone would have mentioned this to me. I feel like a felon taking my card and turning it in. But I’ll do it tomorrow if it speeds up this process. It’s a weird coincidence that I got this letter today after posting this last night. Thanks for the responses and I will keep you all posted.

Something weird happened today. I got a letter from the State Police that I need to turn in my FOID Card at my local police station and fill out a form that all guns in my possession have been transferred to someone with a valid FOID Card. This is the first I’ve heard that I need to do this. And I’ve talked to multiple people up there. You’d think in 15 months someone would have mentioned this to me. I feel like a felon taking my card and turning it in. But I’ll do it tomorrow if it speeds up this process. It’s a weird coincidence that I got this letter today after posting this last night. Thanks for the responses and I will keep you all posted.

I've heard from several people who have FOID appeals pending being informed the only reason their appeal has not been finalized is because the FOID was not returned to law enforcement. Don't know how long they've been doing that. Could be just recently like InterestedByStander commented.