Photo

I got my IL permit in 2014, but want to get Utah and Florida now. What do I need to do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 armadroid

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

Do I need to retake a class? I cannot find my instructor certificate, but I believe it was expired anyways. At least for Florida I wasn't sure if the IL permit was good enough for the proof of firearm competence. I wasn't sure if I could re-use the digital fingerprints also.

thanks!

Edited by armadroid, 28 August 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#2 OrlandInstructor

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Utah requires you to apply within 1 year of taking a Utah Concealed Carry class.

#3 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

If you can find, or get another copy of your training certificate, that's all you need for Florida. Florida accepts a variety of training options to include hunter safety classes if you end up having to retake something.

Utah requires you to take the Utah-specific training class, with the time limit above so you'd have to take that to apply for Utah.

Getting both seems unnecessary, unless you happen to need one of the specific states they would give you.

If you have an Illinois license and also Florida, adding Utah only gets you Washington.
If you have an Illinois license and also Utah, adding Florida gets you Florida and New Mexico.

With the increase in Utah's fees, I think it would be less expensive to get Washington if you travel there instead of Utah. The only problem is that you have to apply in person, but if you travel there on a regular basis it looks to be simple enough. They have no training requirement.

You will have to redo fingerprints for any of those. Florida requires them to be taken by an LE officer. If you go to Washington, they will take them when you apply.

Edited by Gamma, 28 August 2017 - 04:34 PM.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#4 ScopeEye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Utah CCW is $46 residents, $51 non residents

Renewal via internet is $15.75

Illinois Carry Member

NRA Life Member

ISRA

#5 Scipio24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

Sadly, I just applied for Utah today and they raised the fees to $57.00 for Utah residents and $67.00 for non-residents.

https://bci.utah.gov...firearm-permit/

I believe the increases were effective on August 1, 2017.

#6 gangrel

• 2,824 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Sadly, I just applied for Utah today and they raised the fees to $57.00 for Utah residents and $67.00 for non-residents.

https://bci.utah.gov...firearm-permit/

I believe the increases were effective on August 1, 2017.

They haven't increased their prices.  They have included a new surcharge to cover their costs for the Federal background check.  As far as I know, this only applies to the first-time application.  The renewal is still $15.75, the best deal in non-resident CCW.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#7 gangrel

• 2,824 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

OP - where are you located?  If the NW suburbs are convenient for you, send me a PM if you would like to do your training for Utah CCW.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users