Safes

JR1987

I made this topic before back when I only had one firearm that was easy to secure. I now have 3, 2 very expensive, all three ones I want to keep safely stored away.

I have decided it's time to buy a proper safe instead of having things all willy nilly all over the place.

I want to stay under 1500 dollars.

I don't plan on loading it up with more than 15 long guns at most. Right now my ammo boxes would require more space. I could easily get by with a 5-10 long gun safe.

I want fire protection of at least 30 minutes preferably 45 as anymore seems to drive price up into 1500+ territory.

In terms of weight I am not sure. I want at least my weight +50 lbs; so about 220. I think 400 would be best. Colors do not matter to me much. Mechanism for locking does. I want a manual dial; as after several uses I can see the number pad fading; revealing my code.

I want the option to bolt it down but I am curious. Can I remove the bolts and move the safe? I understand I will most likely need to leave the anchors behind, but can I unbolt the safe and move it?

I'd like US made just because I prefer to give my money to American companies and workers.

I've looked at Liberty: specifically the Colonial. It seems to fit most of my needs but it's bigger than what I need. Does anyone know of another one similar in specifications or another brand? I've had a hard time finding reputable companies. Liberty so far has come highly recommended.

I've also heard Fort Knox but can't find prices.

Help, recommendations, and tips would be greatly appreciated.

My linkJR, Check Rural King Big R stores. They have a different owner than Rural King. They carry many Liberty safes, at least the one in our area does. I bought a floor model they ust put out and saved about $200. I would suggest going bigger than you think you may need if you have the room, or you will be buying a bigger one in the future. I have attached a link to the Big R stores so you can find locations.

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=safe&sortby=priceDesc

Menards generally has some good prices. I bought mine here.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|3373&N=4042061&ViewAll=998&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

You'd be hard pressed to beat some of these prices.

As stated above, get bigger than you need. You will grow into it.

bighorn

This safe is one of the best buys for the money, and is sometimes on sale. I've seen a re-branded "winchester" that was going for even less, but I know it to be the EXACT same safe, only grey.

They are imported by Rhino safe, and are very well built considering the price. You get 10GA steel, and external hinges. Something that the other safe companies dont offer in this price range. Its made in China, but so are many of the other low dollar offerings... If you call Rhino and give them your costco order, you can ask for the SG dial lock, if you dont like the electronic. As far as electronic locks go, the LG, with its swing bolt design, is about as good of a consumer grade as you can get. Plan on proactively replacing an electronic lock after 10 years, because they do fail (and most times give no notice).

If you want the best, Amsec has a much nicer "gun safe" offering that will cost you well over 1k.

Safe companies use broom sticks as "guns" when they give their ratings (if it says 25 guns, plan on 12). Definitely plan on the long term - how many guns will you buy over the next 25 years? A safe is not something you'll want to buy often, so buy as big as you can now.

Good luck

I made this topic before back when I only had one firearm that was easy to secure. I now have 3, 2 very expensive, all three ones I want to keep safely stored away.

I have decided it's time to buy a proper safe instead of having things all willy nilly all over the place.

I don't plan on loading it up with more than 15 long guns at most. Right now my ammo boxes would require more space. I could easily get by with a 5-10 long gun safe.

I want fire protection of at least 30 minutes preferably 45 as anymore seems to drive price up into 1500+ territory.

In terms of weight I am not sure. I want at least my weight +50 lbs; so about 220. I think 400 would be best. Colors do not matter to me much. Mechanism for locking does. I want a manual dial; as after several uses I can see the number pad fading; revealing my code.

I want the option to bolt it down but I am curious. Can I remove the bolts and move the safe? I understand I will most likely need to leave the anchors behind, but can I unbolt the safe and move it?

I'd like US made just because I prefer to give my money to American companies and workers.

I've looked at Liberty: specifically the Colonial. It seems to fit most of my needs but it's bigger than what I need. Does anyone know of another one similar in specifications or another brand? I've had a hard time finding reputable companies. Liberty so far has come highly recommended.

To answer some of your questions (and to give you my own take on the matter):

You will be able to get a very nice, fire-resistant safe for $1500. I would advise like the others ... get one bigger than you think you need, and if you have $1500 to spend on a safe, spend all the money and get a quality one. I have a Liberty safe and very much like it. Fort Knox safes are excellent but quite expensive. For $15 you could probably get a 30-40 gun safe that weighs 500-700 lbs. Safes are a pain in the butt to move, but big heavy safes are worth the money. Yes, most safes have bolt-down holes cut into the bottom. Most folks drill appropriate holes in concrete, and then use anchor bolts to secure their safes. Yes, you can unbolt it and move it anytime you wish. I am with you ... I prefer dial-type locks.

I have heard folks warn against storing ammunition in safes. Personally, I store some ammo in mine ... but you should research that before you decide to store ammunition inside your safe.

Again ... get a safe that is bigger than you think you need. They fill up quicker than you'd think!

post-517-133431439516.jpg

post-517-133431440847.jpg

I have a safe I purchased form Tractor Supply. I think it is a Cannon safe. Anyway it has 30 minute fire protection weights a lot and is bolted to my concrete floor. I can remove it if needed by taking the nuts off the bolts and lifting it off the bolts. The only thing it has that you seem to dislike is the electronic keypad but it think you can get one with the dial.

Here's a link to what they have now. It's got a few more features than the one I bought

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-gun-safe-ts6040-60-in-h-36-gun-capacity-3910204

Honestly, I will never own more than 10-15 rifles. I've been down that road with my other hobby: guitar.

I had 8 or 9 at one point; and it was pointless. I never played all of them or even half; they just sat in cases or on display. I ended up selling them and I am down to 3 very nice guitars; and I play them all. I am much happier with the 3 I have now.

I've decided that at 10 or 15 rifles I will be done (with rifles). I only really want 3 or 4 pistols; because I only like 3 or 4. I like shooting; collecting only gives me temporary satisfaction. After a few years I just wonder "what the heck?". I'd rather get good with a few rifles than have a small armory. No offense to those of you who collect a lot; I wish it interested me.

I am trying to get a closet type safe. Something I can easily stash behind a stair case or in a closet in the corner.

I really like Liberty safes, and I'd prefer a US made one. I also agree on the quality, Fife. If you buy cheap, you'll buy again in some cases. I am not opposed to more room than I need; honestly I have 5 30 cal ammo boxes full of ammo and I will probably have more. The more space the more ammo I can store.

I think I am sold on Liberty. It's gonna cost me, but I have put a lot of money and time into these 3 rifles. I've built half of my AR and refinished both the M1 and the Mosin.

I see on Liberty's site they have a lot of electronic locks being advertised. Can you get either dial or electronic on their safes?

Liberty and Kort knox are the most often favored safes. If you move often, there is Zanotti modular safes to think about buying.http://zanottiarmor.com/features.htm but Zanotti is only firesafe for 20 mins. Some people have installed drywall in them to boost the protection times.

By all mean also think about moisture protection. Some use silica gel or a Golden rod. I've got a golden rod from 1996 that's still working.

Like everyone else is saying buy bigger than you think you need.

I run a S&G dial combination lock, Only issues I've ever heard on Dial locks is to avoid spinning them too hard and "Pins" get bent and throw off the combination by a few numbers. due to that kind of abuse.

I'll add that those sentry safes that are sold at menards or office supply stores are only good for keeping the grandchildren out of the goodies. Any teen with a crow bar and a sledge hammer can get into those.

Honestly, I will never own more than 10-15 rifles. I've been down that road with my other hobby: guitar.

I had 8 or 9 at one point; and it was pointless. I never played all of them or even half; they just sat in cases or on display. I ended up selling them and I am down to 3 very nice guitars; and I play them all. I am much happier with the 3 I have now.

I've decided that at 10 or 15 rifles I will be done (with rifles). I only really want 3 or 4 pistols; because I only like 3 or 4. I like shooting; collecting only gives me temporary satisfaction. After a few years I just wonder "what the heck?". I'd rather get good with a few rifles than have a small armory. No offense to those of you who collect a lot; I wish it interested me.

I am trying to get a closet type safe. Something I can easily stash behind a stair case or in a closet in the corner.

I really like Liberty safes, and I'd prefer a US made one. I also agree on the quality, Fife. If you buy cheap, you'll buy again in some cases. I am not opposed to more room than I need; honestly I have 5 30 cal ammo boxes full of ammo and I will probably have more. The more space the more ammo I can store.

I think I am sold on Liberty. It's gonna cost me, but I have put a lot of money and time into these 3 rifles. I've built half of my AR and refinished both the M1 and the Mosin.

I see on Liberty's site they have a lot of electronic locks being advertised. Can you get either dial or electronic on their safes?

You can get ether type of lock. Some have retro fitted their safes from Electronic back to Dial buy purchasing one later.

Yes. You can get whichever you you prefer. Actually, I think their dial one is more common, although both are readily available.

I like Liberty.

The smaller liberty safes, in the size that the OP is inuring about, are not made in the USA.

I considered liberty too, but their offering compromised on the hinge type, and metal gauge, while still charging a premium.

They were also more susceptible to pry and axe attacks.

Granted, if someone wants your sh!t, they're going to find a way to get it, but IMO the liberty (in the class that I was purchasing) was not worth more money.

YMMV though - get what makes you happy. Its your money.

The smaller liberty safes, in the size that the OP is inuring about, are not made in the USA.

I considered liberty too, but their offering compromised on the hinge type, and metal gauge, while still charging a premium.

They were also more susceptible to pry and axe attacks.

Granted, if someone wants your sh!t, they're going to find a way to get it, but IMO the liberty (in the class that I was purchasing) was not worth more money.

YMMV though - get what makes you happy. Its your money.

Do you have a counter recommendation? I am always open to suggestions.

Archived