Wisconsin?

BIGMAC

Hey guys got a question, I'm going camping in Wisconsin 30min past the dells. I'm a foid card holder, can anybody tell me the laws about me bringing out my firearm to Wisconsin ,or who to contact in Wisconsin to find out the laws.thanks in advance.

Your FOID card in Wisconsin doesn't mean squat to anyone there, law enforcement or otherwise, it's only "valid" in Illinois.

Wisconsin IS an open carry state, their AG put out an opinion on this some time ago.

Wisconsin IS an open carry state, but there are some restrictions. I don't have them all in front of me, but off the top of my head is that you can't be within 1,000 feet of a school and you can't carry into government buildings. I THINK that there is a provision against OC in forest preserves or other areas that you might normally go camping, so I would recommend finding out about that. If you are camping on private land then no worries.

Wisconsin IS an open carry state, but there are some restrictions. I don't have them all in front of me, but off the top of my head is that you can't be within 1,000 feet of a school and you can't carry into government buildings. I THINK that there is a provision against OC in forest preserves or other areas that you might normally go camping, so I would recommend finding out about that. If you are camping on private land then no worries.

Also no open carry in a vehicle. If you go to the handgunlaw.us link that Nomad posted click on state statutes and go then click on Safeguards of persons and property, then statute 167.31 this will give you firearms laws. Looking at that it seems like Illinois transport requirements except of course no FOID, but it does say a case designed for a firearm. I saw no mention of ammunition location.

No firearms in state parks, wildlife refuges or fish hatcheries.

What I hate is he used the same state constitution writing as we have. Only our attorney general wont honor our own constitution. Illinois constitution does say we have the right to keep and bear arms.

Which is why I dont even understand why we can be charged for open carrying in Illinois.

Anyways my brother lives in Milwaukee and open carry's all the time. One of the cool things about the 1000' school prohibition is that is says KNOWINGLY.

What I hate is he used the same state constitution writing as we have. Only our attorney general wont honor our own constitution. Illinois constitution does say we have the right to keep and bear arms.

Which is why I dont even understand why we can be charged for open carrying in Illinois.

Anyways my brother lives in Milwaukee and open carry's all the time. One of the cool things about the 1000' school prohibition is that is says KNOWINGLY.

Unfortunately the "unkowingly" part would be an affirmative defense is you got an a$$**** prosecutor. The old, "yea you'll get off but it will cost ya". Hopefully section 1984 to the rescue!

Archived