Ezell v Chicago - New info

RacerDave6

i found this so very entertaining. Is the city's lawyer still wet behind the ears? She sounded like a fetus. She lacked confidence, possibly because she knows they don't have a leg to stand on.

I loved hearing the question, "when people break in and steal guns from gun stores and ranges do they generally use them for additional crime just outside the door?"

I don't know how much you can read into this, but the judges really questioned Chicago's attorney at every step. Other than (feebly) trying to answer the judges' questions, she really couldn't make much of an argument. She ran out of time, and had to be given extra time for a rebuttal.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Alan Gura was cool as a cucumber, answered questions easily, and got through his prepared arguments with time to spare. The judges really didn't challenge him on his arguments very much at all. He seemed well prepared for any line of questioning the panel threw at him. He seemed much smoother today than he did in Moore v. Madigan three and a half years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the panel hadn't already made their decision.

-- Frank

That audio transcript was sheer entertainment. I have to believe that Chicago will not win this.

The big question I have is what will the end result be if the judges rule in our favor?- Clearly shooting ranges in Chicago, but in what time frame? While within the courts power, I can't believe this will abolish all zoning ordinances as they relate to shooting ranges in Chicago. From a practical standpoint I would venture to guess that Chicago will be forced to lift the current zoning restrictions and redraft some less restrictive guidelines under a very stringent deadline (akin to 6 months IL had for CCW measures), or suffer some form of severe consequence.

Please weigh in as too what you would foresee judges instruct Chicago to do if they rule in our favor, and what kinds of consequence the city could potentially have for not meeting the directives.

Just listened. Wow. The city needs to ask for a reduction in its legal fees due to the ineptitude of the lawyer representing them. She sounded about 10, a kid nervous about reciting a poem at a school assembly.

Gura rocks.

The older female judge sounded like the stereotypical granny that should have her knitting with her.

The whole thing was highly entertaining to listen to! ;)

After a second run-through, I was encouraged to hear that the judges all appeared to have a clear understanding of what level of scrutiny was required and of how to apply it. In contrast, for example, with the trial judge and appellate panel for Friedman, who adopted their own idiosyncratic "no-scrutiny" approach.

If ranges are built in Chiraq how will persons wanting to get their license to own a gun be able to qualify?

Without a gun store attached how can they RENT a gun to qualify?

Will there need to be another long drawn out expensive court case taking another 4-6 years before any firearms stores are permitted to open their doors?

If ranges are built in Chiraq how will persons wanting to get their license to own a gun be able to qualify?

Will there need to be another long drawn out expensive court case taking another 4-6 years before any firearms stores are permitted to open their doors?

License to own? Assuming you meant carry because you don't have to "qualify" for FOID.

The trainer could always bring sirt guns for practice in a classroom and then qualify them on loaners he brings with him.

License to own? Assuming you meant carry because you don't have to "qualify" for FOID.

The trainer could always bring sirt guns for practice in a classroom and then qualify them on loaners he brings with him.

IIRC that "license " was the reason Otis went all the way to SCOTUS before he could OWN a handgun.

This was hilarious. I stayed up past my bedtime last night to play the whole thing and I'm sleepy today, but it was worth it!

The city attorney sounds like she doesn't want to be there at all. I'm sure she knows the whole thing is a charade, but she has Rahm shoving her from behind. Their argument was basically to keep repeating the same things the judges had torn apart again and again, without any evidence. The best part was when Gura brought up that the city's own witness said that the law was a piece of junk and should be rewritten. LOL

• Molly B. unpinned this topic

Archived