Highland park suit

Tvandermyde

Again, if the 7th says they recognize the unconstitutional denial of rights and lets it continue over 12 months I don't know that this court is gonna give an injunction.

Might as well ask though.

It's a 50/50 shot, there's federal case law saying AWB is constitutional and there's state law that leaves it open for an issue of fact. In Moore there wasn't any recent case law finding 2A applied beyond the home, in fact there was a lot of bad State law to overcome in Moore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Motion for a preliminary injunction filed today, Merry Christmas, Highland Park! Motion, the memorandum in support, and exhibits.

The Motion itself:

Plaintiffs.Motion.for.Preliminary.Injunction.DE9.0.pdf

Memorandum in Support of Plaintiffs' Motion for Prelimary Inunction plus Exhibits 2-6 (Exhibit 1 is the ordinance and Ex. 7 is Kleck's affidavit, which is available elsehwhere)

Plaintiffs.Memo.in.Support.of.Motion.for.Prelim.Injunction.DE10.0.pdf

Memo.in.Support.of.Preliminary.Injunction.Pltfs.Verified.Complaint.Exhibit.2.DE10.2.pdf

Memo.in.Support.of.Preliminary.Injunction.Decl.David.Lombardo.Exhibit.3.DE10.3.pdf

Exhibit 4 (Curcuruto Affidavit/Declaration) - Too big - See Here

Memo.in.Support.of.Preliminary.Injunction.Decl.Dr.Gary.Roberts.Exhibit.5.DE10.5.pdf

Memo.in.Support.of.Preliminary.Injunction.Decl.James.Supica.Exhibit.6.DE10.6.pdf

Some interesting excerpts from the memorandum in support of the motion blah blah

"In Wilson v. County of Cook, 2012 IL 112026, 968 N.E.2d 641 (Il. 2012), the Illinois Supreme Court applied the Heller and McDonald decisions and reversed a trial court’s dismissal of a Second Amendment challenge to an 'assault weapons' ordinance nearly identical to the Highland Park ban. The court remanded the case to the trial court for further proceedings, including an 'empirical inquiry' into whether the ordinance prohibited ownership of firearms that are typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes and fall outside the scope of the dangers sought to be protected under the ordinance.

(While addressing the two-pronged approach used to determine the constitutionality of a gun control statute, the brief points out that rational basis is NOT the standard)

"The Court in Heller and McDonald did not articulate what standard of review should be applied to government actions infringing on Second Amendment rights, but it rejected rational basis review."

I LOVE THIS!

"When the merits of Plaintiffs’ claims are reached in this case, the Ordinance should be found categorically unconstitutional because it prohibits activity firmly within the Second Amendment right. The evidence will establish that the Ordinance bans possession of a large category of firearms and magazines that are owned and used by millions of law-abiding citizens in the United States for lawful purposes, including self-defense in the home. But regardless of whether the Ordinance is found categorically unconstitutional or analyzed under the strict scrutiny or intermediate scrutiny test, Defendant should be preliminarily enjoined from enforcing the Ordinance because Plaintiffs can demonstrate (a) a reasonable likelihood of success on the merits of their claim; ( :cool: there is no adequate remedy at law; and © irreparable injury. Planned Parenthood of Indiana, Inc. v. Comm’r of Indiana State Dep’t of Public Health, 699 F.3d 962, 972 (7th Cir. 2012). And no harm will be imposed on Defendant should it be preliminarily enjoined from enforcing the ordinance. Id.; see also ACLU v. Alvarez, 679 F.3d 583, 590-91 (7th Cir. 2012) (the public interest is not harmed by preliminarily enjoining the enforcement of a statute that is probably unconstitutional). In contrast, Plaintiffs’ constitutional rights will remain violated if the injunction is not granted."

Forcing their hand when it comes to both abortions and eavesdropping hahaha

Skinny, did HP make this a federal case (literally) or are they just simply changing the venue to have a federal judge hear a state case? I remember the professor in one of my business law classes lecturing about this maneuver; particularly used if you're trying to improve your odds on getting a jury pool that's more in your favor, or at least not as biased against you (and why it's difficult to be a federal judge since there's a lot of different laws you may have to research).

I'm pleased that Bucklo is no longer presiding over this case. Holderman is a much more experienced judge (hes not overturned by CA7 once a year) while Bucklo is the female equivalent of Judge Shadur sans the work ethic and intelligence. Just the arrogance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

From exhibit 4:

In 2012 alone, nearly 1 million of these [AR-type and AK-type] rifles were manufactured and imported for sale. By way of comparison, in 2012, the number of modern sporting rifles manufactured in or imported to the U.S. was more than double the number of the most commonly sold vehicle in the United States, the Ford F-150. (434,585 sold).

:laugh:

From exhibit 4:

In 2012 alone, nearly 1 million of these [AR-type and AK-type] rifles were manufactured and imported for sale. By way of comparison, in 2012, the number of modern sporting rifles manufactured in or imported to the U.S. was more than double the number of the most commonly sold vehicle in the United States, the Ford F-150. (434,585 sold).

While entertaining, it's a red herring. It would be relevant if you compared total guns sold to total cars sold and then compared the percentage of AR to Ford F-150s sold. But... This is how lawyers get paid...

From exhibit 4:

While entertaining, it's a red herring. It would be relevant if you compared total guns sold to total cars sold and then compared the percentage of AR to Ford F-150s sold. But... This is how lawyers get paid...

I think its a fair comparison because it gives a clear point of comparison. If you imagine how often you see an F-150 on the street in a given day you have a sense of how common a vehicle it is. Knowing that twice as many ARs were sold in 2012 as F-150s lets you imagine that, on your morning commute, for every F-150 you see there are two people driving around with an AR at home.

Skinny, did HP make this a federal case (literally) or are they just simply changing the venue to have a federal judge hear a state case? I remember the professor in one of my business law classes lecturing about this maneuver; particularly used if you're trying to improve your odds on getting a jury pool that's more in your favor, or at least not as biased against you (and why it's difficult to be a federal judge since there's a lot of different laws you may have to research).

This is literally a federal case now, removal to federal court makes it a federal case even though it always has been one since, although it may challenge an ordinance, it challenges it on grounds that it violates the federal constitution thus making it a "federal case." Removal is basically forum shopping, they knew what they were in for in the Second District, so they removed it to the Northern District of Illinois since drawing a friendly judge is more likely in federal court than in the state venue. It's difficult being a federal judge because of the caseload, which necessitates research, which consumes time, so they farm it out to their clerks and the Magistrate Judges handle discovery, pre-trial matters, etc. State judges don't have this luxury so they have to actually read all of the briefs filed, etc. I've never heard about using removal being used to get a favorable pool of jurors. I know it's used to get cases out of state courts like in Madison and St. Clair Counties where the corruption is just nuts, same with Cook.

This is literally a federal case now, removal to federal court makes it a federal case even though it always has been one since, although it may challenge an ordinance, it challenges it on grounds that it violates the federal constitution thus making it a "federal case." Removal is basically forum shopping, they knew what they were in for in the Second District, so they removed it to the Northern District of Illinois since drawing a friendly judge is more likely in federal court than in the state venue. It's difficult being a federal judge because of the caseload, which necessitates research, which consumes time, so they farm it out to their clerks and the Magistrate Judges handle discovery, pre-trial matters, etc. State judges don't have this luxury so they have to actually read all of the briefs filed, etc. I've never heard about using removal being used to get a favorable pool of jurors. I know it's used to get cases out of state courts like in Madison and St. Clair Counties where the corruption is just nuts, same with Cook.

It was a lecture when talking about the court system early in the semester, I'll have to find my notes, but basically there is a maneuver you can have a federal judge request to oversee a state case. IIRC it's hard to get, but one of the common reasons to attempt it is to expand the jury pool (i.e. Filing in the Cook County court guarantees a Cook County jury pool where the Federal northern district may have people outside of it) if you fear that specific jury pool might not benefit you as well as an expanded one.

In that respect, yes. Removal does broaden the pool of potential jurors, including those who reside in Cook County. Being the largest county in terms of population, it's all but certain that there will be jurors from Cook. Assuming it goes to trial....and that it's a jury trial. Bench trials are much more common, as this is a constitutional issue and putting a constitutional question to a jury ("common folk") isn't desirable for either party involved in litigation.

In that respect, yes. Removal does broaden the pool of potential jurors, including those who reside in Cook County. Being the largest county in terms of population, it's all but certain that there will be jurors from Cook. Assuming it goes to trial....and that it's a jury trial. Bench trials are much more common, as this is a constitutional issue and putting a constitutional question to a jury ("common folk") isn't desirable for either party involved in litigation.

there are no jurors involved in this kind of case.

I remembered that after I drank a pot of coffee heh. It'd be insane to allow jurors to determine the constitutionality of a law. This is judge/forum shopping, HP didn't like what they got in state court so the removal allows them to get a second shot at a more favorable judge. It's also perceived that federal judges are "defendant friendly" and state judges are "plaintiff friendly" with regard to civil suits.

there are no jurors involved in this kind of case.

There are no jurors, we're just discussing why they moved it from state to federal court. I brought up a question if it was just a federal judge presiding a state case or it was now a federal case and I was giving an example of why the former would commonly happen.

Elrod is slimy and shady. Anybody who has been face-to-face with him can tell. He has an agenda. I think he's the one pushing the agenda in Highland Park. Just watch the video of the Highland Park City Council Meeting in mid-October where Todd spoke. Elrod is clearly presenting lies to the council and Mayor.

The case was reassigned to Judge Darrah pursuant to 28 USC § 294(B) (See 28 USC § 371 defining "senior"). He's a Clinton nominee. So far, and this case is how many days old (?), they've gone through one state judge and three (all three with senior status). Senior Judges don't actually occupy a seat on the bench, so they can work as long as they feel like it, while a sitting President can appoint another judge to fill the seat "vacated" by the judge who obtains senior status. It's actually been argued that it's unconstitutional....and I completely agree, but I digress.

Wonderful review of him (made by an attorney):

"Terrible hair-trigger temper; does not really listen. Misunderstands or misstates litigants' arguments. Ducks issues he does not want to decide. One of the worst federal judges I have appeared before in 40+ years - even when he ruled for me because he got angry with the other side. He rules against whomever he is angry with on that day. Flat-out ignored direct 7th Circuit precedent and 3 decades of consistent US Supreme Court decisions -- without even a comment. Scary and unpredictable."

Even the positive reviews state that he's...an angry guy and a wild card who, according to the above, flips off the Seventh Circuit and SCOTUS. Sounds like Judges Shadur and Bucklo.

Presentment of Plaintiffs' Motion for Preliminary Injunction is on January 8 at 9:30 a.m. in Courtroom 1203. So, if anyone wants to go, based on what I've read about Judge Darrah it could be quite a show. Even worse than Posner going ape on Thompson.

I know nothing about Judge Darrah, having never had a case in front of him. However, I would take internet reviews with a giant grain of salt. I have run across many attorneys who are sore losers and refuse to acknowledge the poor facts in their case or their own poor performance for the unfavorable result they achieved, and instead, blame the judge. Normally, the only people that take the time to fill out these types of reviews are people with very strong feelings and/or are disgruntled in some fashion.

Of course, having said that, Judge Darrah could very well live up to the negative picture painted by the reviewer you quote.

Presentment of Plaintiffs' Motion for Preliminary Injunction is on January 8 at 9:30 a.m. in Courtroom 1203. So, if anyone wants to go, based on what I've read about Judge Darrah it could be quite a show. Even worse than Posner going ape on Thompson.

Anyone watching the show?

Nope. Any sort of A/V device capable of recording sound and/or video is banned in the courtrooms as per Circuit Rules. They have/had a pilot program allowing cameras during civil proceedings, dunno what happened with that since the Local Rules in ILCD are preempted by Circuit Rules.

the judge moved along lines we asked for and gave Highland Park 30 days for a reply. They wanted 60 and it sounds like the Judge wasn't buying it.

We will then have like 14 to reply and be back in court on 3/4/14. We think they are going to want to do some discovery, and expect them to try that to draw this out.

Archived