Motion Granted

SAXD9

Ok you guys win. after looking at numbers and feeling like we had the votes, which we did, my optimism is gone. I will be a pessimist from here on out.

Not sure if that should've been in purple or not ?????

How 'bout this: Instead of fighting these <profanity filters> while they're in session, and trying to reach agreements which we know will never be fulfilled, why don't you convince your bosses to spend some REAL money the next time we have a Statewide election? I know the ILA spent some bucks the last time around, but they have yet to ever spend enough to actually make a difference, in any State. You know, I know, and everyone else that reads this board knows, that as long as there is a Chicago majority in charge, gunowners are always going to be on the losing side of this battle in the IL legislature. The ONLY way to change that, is with dollar bills.

It's pretty evident to me, that those in charge of the IL legislature have absolutely no fear of the NRA. That fact must be changed before we can change anything else.

Tell me why it can't happen? And then remember, Bloomberg just bought a special election up there a couple months ago.....

My question still is, why hasn't Madigan sent the bill to Quinn? Is he also trying to delay it?

He certainly isn't helping little Lisa.

According to this article on Quinn ready to call a special session, Madigan is out of state and does not have a cellular phone so is therefore unreachable. You just can't make this stuff up

http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x863241024/Quinn-and-Cullerton-meet-over-pensions

I WISH I could say I was surprised but I really can't. My gut has told me all along that we would never get concealed carry in my life time and I see that my gut is right. Court should have never gave them any time at all, just throw it out from the get go.

I believe I said pretty much that very same thing in one of my first posts. I was immediately reprimanded by one of the older guys on here for being negative. It's looking more and more like I was right.

I could only venture to guess this motion was granted because the 7th CA understands, perhaps all too well that this issue will not simply "go away" with the passage...however reluctantly it was, or a concealed carry bill. When this comes up again, and it will, any argument that the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals interfered with the political process will fall on deaf ears...and hopefully those ears will be attached to SCOTUS judges, at least 5 of which do not take it very lightly when lower courts are mocked by overzealous Attorney Generals. Just my opinion.

While we are on the topic of pessimism and optimism (and realism for that matter), let's be realistic: As depressing as this is, it's only a 30-day extension, which are the type of extensions handed out pretty routinely in fed court. And, as Sailor pointed out, the federal judiciary tries to assume good faith on the part of state governmental actors and let the state political process play itself out (especially here, where the 7th invalidated a state law).

The optimistic reading of this situation is that the 7th was courteous to give the state another extension (of 30 days), but it also instructed Madigan that this would be her last extension. As painful as this is for us, an extra 30 days will go by quickly. And if all of the previous speculation about Madigan not filing for cert is correct, then we will have an enacted RTC law at some point, whether Quinn signs it, or the ILGA has to override a Quinn veto.

Let's not lose hope just yet! This is probably more stressful for us right now because things are now totally out of our control (Todd can't really influence this part of the game, and no phone calls, witness slips, or emails are going to help), and we are also watching this happen on a day by day basis (heck, hour by hour), which is like watching water boil.

I can understand how our founding fathers decided to go to war with the Empire, as opposed to endless diplomacy with no real results.

Even though this forum bases it's entire existence on an illegal act (killing the King's men & declaring war on the crown), any talk of illegal activity here is forbidden.

I'm not advocating that, but until we create a 51st state, or the District of Chicago, we will ALWAYS have our rights denied.

Don't ever forget , this is Illinois. Illinois is a rhelm where they do not follow the laws, they only rule the people of the rhelm and some members of the Federal government. Since Obama got, won, cheated to get the election the United States has had Chicago Style Politics. How do you all like Chicago Style politics?

The court did say that there would be no further extensions (for what it's worth).

But what happens when she petitions for cert in 20 days?

Kagan will grant it...or not based on how she thinks the votes will go, then we roll the dice. After what Roberts did with Obamacare™ we cannot trust them to do what is right.

My question still is, why hasn't Madigan sent the bill to Quinn? Is he also trying to delay it?

He certainly isn't helping little Lisa.

According to this article on Quinn ready to call a special session, Madigan is out of state and does not have a cellular phone so is therefore unreachable. You just can't make this stuff up

http://www.sj-r.com/...t-over-pensions

Absurd. However, I do sort of respect that Madigan doesn't have a cell phone (if it's true).

The court did say that there would be no further extensions (for what it's worth).

But what happens when she petitions for cert in 20 days?

Kagan will grant it...or not based on how she thinks the votes will go, then we roll the dice. After what Roberts did with Obamacare™ we cannot trust them to do what is right.

It takes 4 votes to grant cert, although I think Kagan may be able to stay the mandate, although only temporarily I think (skinny knows this stuff really well).

So I'm not Deepak Chopra or anything, but why not take a negative (stupid state of IL gets 30 more days to defecate on my constitutional right), and turn it into a positive. So the state of IL gets 30 more days to waffle on Illinois concealed carry (which delays your ability to protect yourself and possibly save yourself), why not move in the opposite direction. Take the next 30 days to try to eat healthier and get some exercise each day. If the state of IL is going to prevent you from carrying concealed and being able to protect yourself, to even the odds back up, you are going to eat a little better and walk more to reduce your chance of a heart attack or diabetes from killing you (which is really the more likely way you are going to go, the Chicago murder rate notwithstanding).

Yeah, it's stupid and I probably come off sounding like Dr. Phil or Ozz or someone, but why not give it a shot? For every day the stupid state of IL is going to defecate on your constitutional right to carry, you are in response going to smoke less cigarettes, drink less booze, or get out and actually move about more. Who's with me?

ETA: I'm only suggesting this b/c some of the people here sound like they are going to jump off a cliff (pun intended) because of this recent hiccup.

Goodness, well I guess I said it was 50/50 although I really wanted the court to deny if only to put a shot across the Defendants bow. I guess I knew that the court was likely to do this just because they generally would. If there is any consolation at all, it is that for what is worth, the Plaintiffs got a few things on the record that speak tons of this whole process and its on the record that a very acceptable bill is out there approved by both houses. who knows, it may be of value later if the ISP gets weird about implementation.

In any case that last line of the judgement granting the stay has a pretty serious tone.

I still do not think that Lisa Madigan will file for cert. and now she has more to worry about as she doesn't just have to deal with Mr. Potato Head but the younger Daley who probably will have big local and national money backing him.

Sorry for all you guys that have worked so hard. It's coming though its coming!

So I'm not Deepak Chopra or anything, but why not take a negative (stupid state of IL gets 30 more days to defecate on my constitutional right), and turn it into a positive. So the state of IL gets 30 more days to waffle on Illinois concealed carry (which delays your ability to protect yourself and possibly save yourself), why not move in the opposite direction. Take the next 30 days to try to eat healthier and get some exercise each day. If the state of IL is going to prevent you from carrying concealed and being able to protect yourself, to even the odds back up, you are going to eat a little better and walk more to reduce your chance of a heart attack or diabetes from killing you (which is really the more likely way you are going to go, the Chicago murder rate notwithstanding).

Yeah, it's stupid and I probably come off sounding like Dr. Phil or Ozz or someone, but why not give it a shot? For every day the stupid state of IL is going to defecate on your constitutional right to carry, you are in response going to smoke less cigarettes, drink less booze, or get out and actually move about more. Who's with me?

ETA: I'm only suggesting this b/c some of the people here sound like they are going to jump off a cliff (pun intended) because of this recent hiccup.

Sorry, but I got off on the wrong foot already and have decided on a Dewar's to take the edge off.

I do like your idea, except for me personally. I already gave up booze (about 7 years ago actually now) for my motorcycle. I gave up smoking (this year) for an e-cig (so I could still have nicotine but not be inhaling actual smoke/carcinogens). And I already eat decent, and work out / remain active as it is anyways... I think the only remedial action for me would be to go shooting more frequently (it is a good stress reliever to go to the range), or to finally move out of this forsaken state.

I'm convinced, the HORRIBLE state of IL is NEVER going to see concealed carry. God only knows what the **** they're gonna pull in the next 30 days, and then the next X days. This state is ****** !!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you and every day I try to convince my wife to move across the river to Missouri, but NO, the grandkids are here. I can't convince her that another 10 minute drive is nothing compared to what we suffer Living in this state,

Archived