IL AG Lisa Madigan files for 30 day extension to file cert

Molly B.

Yeah, 6 Months isnt enough I guess! Nice. While our legal system has many things going for it, the fact that the wheels turn slowly (so very slowly) often makes me sick. Why?

because it favors those with power and cash (this type of case, or others). Often the powerful can outspend you, delay you, etc hoping to win by default. That allows for things like this "oh, please, 6 months wasnt enough, the legislature hasn't done anything, give me more time to appeal..."

makes me sick.

I think she wants extra time to see what plays out in the Illinois House and or Senate. Her daddy wants Chicago and Cook County to have their own say over concealed carry, and they were hoping to pass that bill by playing their little games with our legislators. Their games are not going as planned and their time is running out. She filed the extension just to keep SCOTUS in her game plan shall May Issue fail. If May Issue for Chicago/Cook County is not passed to their liking then she will be forced to file the appeal to SCOTUS to be proven wrong by another Court and to continue wasting Illinois tax payers money. Remember folks, this woman also thinks she would be good as our governor.

Will the Posner panel be the ones to approve/deny this request? Already more than gracious and gave them 180 days, what is the point of another 30. Go figure, more wasted tax dollars

IANAL, but this is a request for an extension to the deadline to file for cert, which I believe expires on May 27, NOT a request for an extension to the 180 day grace period for the injunction placed by the 7th, which expires June 9.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lisa is not trying to argue "May Issue" over the CA7 ruling. If she does file for cert, she will have to argue the TOTAL BAN over carrying. May Issue for Chicago would be a completely different lawsuit. I don't see Lisa winning cert against the SCOTUS.

I wasn't saying that she was arguing May Issue. I was saying that she wants May Issue for Chicago and Cook County. If they got that bill passed, then I think the SCOTUS appeal would fade into the dark.

En Banc was denied Friday Feb. 22nd., 2013. I believe May 23rd., 2013 is her last day to file for Cert. (90 days after denial of En Banc)

She wants SCOTUS to give her 30 more days!!??

These people are goofy.

And with SCOTUS denying to hear NY "may" issue why would they bother with this??

En Banc was denied Friday Feb. 22nd., 2013. I believe May 23rd., 2013 is her last day to file for Cert. (90 days after denial of En Banc)

She wants SCOTUS to give her 30 more days!!??

These people are goofy.

And with SCOTUS denying to hear NY "may" issue why would they bother with this??

CAUSE IT'S A BETTER CASE. IMO

Filing for an extension and then deciding not to file is really jerking SCOTUS around - and I don't think Lisa Madigan would do that.

IMO, the most important thing about this is that Lisa Madigan is indeed going to file for cert.

I think the reason she want an extension is so that it doesn't actually go to SCTUS right away. If she had filed a few weeks ago, SCOTUS would have made a decision on this - like they did in Kachalski. She doesn't want that to happen. A denial of cert right away is going to push the legislators who are on the fence and IMO a denial of cert might help push them to just voting and getting the question of concealed carry over with.

Is this the appeal that could possibly overturn may issue in other states? You know, the one everyone ws saying Bloomberg would **** if Lisa appealed.

Wondering the same. If it were to go to SCOTUS, chances are, the case wouldn't be brought up for a couple years? Ultimately after a 2014 Governor of Illinois election.

Is this the appeal that could possibly overturn may issue in other states? You know, the one everyone ws saying Bloomberg would **** if Lisa appealed.

Wondering the same. If it were to go to SCOTUS, chances are, the case wouldn't be brought up for a couple years? Ultimately after a 2014 Governor of Illinois election.

I'm guessing it would be heard next Spring with a decision by Summer 2014.

Archived