Moore/Shepard Ruling Announced

Molly B.

Should we be calling our reps and demanding they pass HB148 yet?

Something tells me that 148 was a lost "opportunity" for the opposition. We'll see though.

YES Call your State Representatives and your Senators. Not just the ones in your district, but all of the, Tell them that you agree with the 7th Circuit Courts ruling and to bring HB 148 back to the floor for a vote. The bill is not dead. It is just sitting in limbo. I spent two days emailing each and everyone of the Illinois Representatives and Senators even the Governor. Explaining to them that I am a law-abiding gun owner and I feel that I should be able to protect myself outside my home just like Judge Posner believes. Urge them to contact Lisa Madigan and tell her to stop wasting tax payers money appealing these decisions and to do her duty to uphold the constitution of if the U.S. like she said when she was sworn into office. Spread the word and let all of your friends and family members know to contact all of the state reps and senators. Now is the time to flood their offices with mail, emails, faxes and every means of contact explaining to them that they should help the citizens of Illinois practice their second amendment rights. Make sure you tell them you are against any legislation that would make it almost impossible for the average citizen to receive a conceal carry license, like exorbitant fees, extensive training, and all the red tape. I URGE EVERYONE THAT NOW OS THE TIME THE FIGHT BEGINS

Yes, it should be phrased as the right to carry not just concealed carry.

That is EXACTLY right!

Indiana verbiage - "License to Carry a Handgun"

Yep, I agree. Since we have the upper hand for once, I'd like to see both concealed and open carry. Don't know if I'd ever want to open carry, but it would be nice to have that option from the get go, instead of fighting for it at some point in the future.

I ain't really gung ho for open carry as I am for there being no penalty with accidental printing.

Just seems fishy is all

I saw it. It's the same maneuver they have used at every juncture in the case at every opportunity. Their last request for more time was basically denied. This is on the second page of the petition:

3. Moreover, given the stay of the mandate currently in place, the requested

extension of time would not delay the effective date of the panel’s judgment. If a

rehearing petition were filed and denied, the mandate still would issue 180 days after the

December 11, 2012 filing date of the Court’s opinion, regardless of whether the Court

allows this request.

I would love to get your take on this Molly but my opinion is that Lisa is waiting to see if the Conn. Tragedy will somehow sway members of the 7th into ruling in her favor. Its a hail mary play no doubt but its probably her best chance for a positive ruling at this point.

They'd have to express a "legal" ground for any deviation from the previous ruling. Law is Law.

Lady Justice is blindfolded and emotional sympathy does not warrant a reversal -

Here's an example: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

If anyone deserved "emotional consideration, it was this woman!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Posted - 11 Dec. 2012 10:40 a.m.

http://www.ca7.uscou...&submit=showdkt

Illinois ban on Right to Carry ruled unconstitutional!

We have a ruling from the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals - The Supreme Court’s interpretation of

the Second Amendment therefore compels us to reverse

the decisions in the two cases before us and remand

them to their respective district courts for the entry

of declarations of unconstitutionality and

permanent injunctions.

Nevertheless we order our mandate

stayed for 180 days to allow the Illinois

legislature to craft a new gun law that will

impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public

safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in

this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public.

REVERSED AND REMANDED, WITH DIRECTIONS;

BUT MANDATE STAYED FOR 180 DAYS.

We win, the ban on carrying is unconstitutional!

Can someone post the PDF of the ruling? This link is dead now.

Does this SUPRISE anyone ???

http://www.sj-r.com/...n-on-gun-appeal

Doesn't surprise me, this is the tactic of these dirty *******... While it WOULD surprise me if SCOTUS actually granted an extension OR to actually hear it (when they appeal). I would only guess at this point that's their "game plan". File for extension, then appeal at the last possible minute, just like they did w/ 7CA. Too bad June 9 is still coming -- last time I checked -- filing for an extension or even filing for an appeal will not put my calendar, or the 7CA ruling, on pause... These a*holes really are gonna go down dragging, kicking, screaming, whining, grinding their teeth and nails into the ground, etc... like a little 6 year old, how sad !!!

I guess those darn other 49 states would get with the program already @.@

Keep screwing around Madigan and co. 39 days, 39 days... ... ...

• 9 months later...
Tick tock, Now February 17, 2014 my app filed Jan 05, 0200am has had no response yet, "pending". Just a time line on this almost completed thread. Here's hoping the first licenses will be issued prior to IGOLD March 5th. That ironically is the day ISP says first may be issued. My last name starts with "A" my app was in pretty early, and I've got my fingers crossed.

• 2 years later...

https://www.facebook.com/SecondAmendmentFoundation/photos/a.450295096216.231802.86071521216/10154283787221217/?type=3&theater

We got a nice surprise today. From our 2012 victory in Moore v. Madigan. The ruling declared the right to self-defense is “broader than the right to have a gun in one’s home.”

Edited by Bimmer

https://www.facebook.com/SecondAmendmentFoundation/photos/a.450295096216.231802.86071521216/10154283787221217/?type=3&theater

We got a nice surprise today. From our 2012 victory in Moore v. Madigan. The ruling declared the right to self-defense is “broader than the right to have a gun in one’s home.”

Glad they got paid, but it doesn't seem like anything changes for us as of today.