Are Amish Required to Have a Picture on FOID Card?

junglebob

I came across and article about an Amish man, Andrew Hetzler, who went to federal court because he wasn't able to buy a rifle because he has no photo ID. It said in the article that Illinois Amish have been required to have a photo ID since 2011. Is this so? If it is why doesn't the state require they be fingerprinted. I don't know they they would object to that. Fingerprints are the most sure means of ID.

...(a-20) Each applicant for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall furnish to the Department of State Police his or her photograph. An applicant who is 21 years of age or older seeking a religious exemption to the photograph requirement must furnish with the application an approved copy of United States Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Form 4029. In lieu of a photograph, an applicant regardless of age seeking a religious exemption to the photograph requirement shall submit fingerprints on a form and manner prescribed by the Department with his or her application....

Why would you want him to be fingerprinted?

WE dont have to use fingerprints to have a foid or a valid state ID!

I didn't know that the ISP accepted finger prints in place of photos to process Amish people's FOID cards.

Since Amish have a religious opposition to the use of photos on the FOID card finger prints seemed like a good way to identify who the FOID card is linked with.

I understand the former ISP head eliminated the option of no photo on the FOID card for the Amish the day he left office, is this so? How can the head of ISP just change the exemption to supplying photos written into the law?

If the FOID is not a "legal" form of identification recognized by the state, then why a photo or fingerprints?

Should there be an additional requirement for finger prints to obtain a driver's license?

(Probably not - since that would link too many politicians to bribes and hush money)

Again - background checks are being done on the wrong people.

Archived