Laserlyte Trainer opinions?

Not me

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3JMQI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone use Laserlyte trainers? I ordered the unit above for $119. Wife and I have two toddlers so range time together is not easy and she doesn't want to go alone. The only time we get to shoot together right now is when we visit my parents in Central IL, so hoping to get her some reps at home. The cans look kind of silly but I like the idea of having multiple targets to set up for changing aiming points. I think the cans can be set up upside down so instead of tipping over the actuator just clicks when the laser hits the target not requiring setting them back up after each "shot". Just curious if anyone else uses these to work on muscle memory etc, in conjunction with live fire when we can obviously.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3JMQI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone use Laserlyte trainers? I ordered the unit above for $119. Wife and I have two toddlers so range time together is not easy and she doesn't want to go alone. The only time we get to shoot together right now is when we visit my parents in Central IL, so hoping to get her some reps at home. The cans look kind of silly but I like the idea of having multiple targets to set up for changing aiming points. I think the cans can be set up upside down so instead of tipping over the actuator just clicks when the laser hits the target not requiring setting them back up after each "shot". Just curious if anyone else uses these to work on muscle memory etc, in conjunction with live fire when we can obviously.

I've got the Sure Strike laser trainer and I use it at home for dry fire practice. I see its available for about $84 on ebay for the next 30 days. I have some targets set up in the downstairs of my house. I practice drawing and firing with the Surestrike. I can see the laser dot simulating where a round would have hit the target. The Surestrike is guaranteed for 5000 fires. They have electronic targets. Is that what you have for your Laserlyte ? It is nice being able to use the gun you carry and put the lazer cartridge in the chamber and see where your rounds would go if you had live ammo in the gun.

I was using mine the other night and I couldn't figure out why the slide wouldn't go all the way forward. I found out after taking the Surestrike out that the case was unthreaded a very little bit. I turned it maybe half a turn or so, put it back in the chamber and it worked fine. BTW racking the slide doesn't eject the Surestrike, you push a pencil down the barrel to get it out. I did have some trouble one time because I put it in backwards, that is something to be aware of. I think I've had mine over a year now.

I've got the Sure Strike laser trainer and I use it at home for dry fire practice. I see its available for about $84 on ebay for the next 30 days. I have some targets set up in the downstairs of my house. I practice drawing and firing with the Surestrike. I can see the laser dot simulating where a round would have hit the target. The Surestrike is guaranteed for 5000 fires. They have electronic targets. Is that what you have for your Laserlyte ? It is nice being able to use the gun you carry and put the lazer cartridge in the chamber and see where your rounds would go if you had live ammo in the gun.

I was using mine the other night and I couldn't figure out why the slide wouldn't go all the way forward. I found out after taking the Surestrike out that the case was unthreaded a very little bit. I turned it maybe half a turn or so, put it back in the chamber and it worked fine. BTW racking the slide doesn't eject the Surestrike, you push a pencil down the barrel to get it out. I did have some trouble one time because I put it in backwards, that is something to be aware of. I think I've had mine over a year now.

The one I ordered linked above can be inserted into the muzzle of any .380-.50 pistol, but also comes with a compact blue gun ( Shield size) that it can go in so you wouldn't need to rack the slide enough to reset the striker each time. I know the one I ordered is an older model and the batteries need to be removed from the laser or it will go dead in a few days since it is activated by sound (striker/hammer etc) . Mostly wondering about longevity. Some of the reviews of laserlyte customer service were not great but I can burn through $120 pretty quickly even shooting reloads if the wife and I are both shooting with range fees.

The Surestrike is activated by the firing pin striking it. I've never taken the batteries out and the originals are in mine.

Well my order somehow got screwed up and Amazon sent me a laser sight for a high point pistol. Soooo, that's been sent back and this morning I ordered a different version. This one is also made by Laserlyte but it simulates steel targets and was on sale for $149 at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LASERLYTE-STEEL-TYME-KIT/2431431.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dlaserlyte%26CQ_st%3Db

I'm not too broke up about it, I think this will work better. I slo might get a firing pin strike laser for my .45 since this kit the laser is built into the blue gun.

There is also a laser target called the laser pet that looks interesting.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXODP4Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

February is a long cold month :D.

I've had the Laserlyte target and plinking cans for 2 years now, I have the .380, 9mm and .45 cartridges and really enjoy practicing with them. They make a great training tools for my young grandchildren who are allowed to practice with them under supervision.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/telman2/1911/IMG_0751.jpg

I've had the Laserlyte target and plinking cans for 2 years now, I have the .380, 9mm and .45 cartridges and really enjoy practicing with them. They make a great training tools for my young grandchildren who are allowed to practice with them under supervision.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/telman2/1911/IMG_0751.jpg

That's awesome! Glad to see you have gotten some extended use. I have seen some poor reviews but it's hard to sort out user error. I think they will be a good training aid. I bet the grandkids love it, good way to work on gun safety too.

The website for the Sure Strike is laser-ammo.com. They offer a kit that has adapters for 40 and 45 caliber and also .223 in addition to the 9mm Luger. I read a review on Amazon about the Sure Strike, one customer had problems and the Amazon seller wouldn't help. There was a problem with the battery that came with it and when he contacted the manufacturer they sent him 3 replacements. He suggested buying from the manufacturer. I haven't had any problems with mine and I got it through Amazon. I see there is a Youtube comparing Laserlyte a.nd Surestrike

The website for the Sure Strike is laser-ammo.com. They offer a kit that has adapters for 40 and 45 caliber and also .223 in addition to the 9mm Luger. I read a review on Amazon about the Sure Strike, one customer had problems and the Amazon seller wouldn't help. There was a problem with the battery that came with it and when he contacted the manufacturer they sent him 3 replacements. He suggested buying from the manufacturer. I haven't had any problems with mine and I got it through Amazon. I see there is a Youtube comparing Laserlyte a.nd Surestrike

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LASERLYTE-STEEL-TYME-KIT/2431431.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dlaserlyte%26CQ_st%3Db

The one linked above was on my porch when I got home. Highly recommend. The trigger reset is pretty far forward but the laser POI is adjustable and is perfectly sighted in for 6 o'clock hold. I must have shot 500 or so times with already. Now my wife is on it. I like the idea of the cartridges and using the actual pistol you carry, but partially racking the slide each time seems like it would get old. I actually might buy another one of these while they are on sale for my office :D. The compact trainer isn't too far off from a S&W Shield. Grip is a little smaller but I have several hogue overlay rubber grips that should make about the same diameter. I can certainly see how these can help with trigger control and sight picture, not to mention safely working on draw and fire exercises. Good stuff.

I've had a Laserlyte pistol for a while now and have gotten a lot of use out of it, but lately I don't use it as much.

Pros: it gets people to practice because it's fun.

Cons: you start relying more on watching the laser instead of watching the sights.

For people who aren't going to do dry fire practice, it'll help, but if you already do dry fire practice, then the laser pistol can be used to have fun with. I've seen far more improvement in my shooting through strict dry fire than I did with the laser pistol.

But as I said, it could spice up your practice routine, especially if you get those knock over cans. Those are actually pretty fun to mess around with.

ETA: just make sure that you focus on the sights instead of the laser itself.

I've had a Laserlyte pistol for a while now and have gotten a lot of use out of it, but lately I don't use it as much.

Pros: it gets people to practice because it's fun.

Cons: you start relying more on watching the laser instead of watching the sights.

For people who aren't going to do dry fire practice, it'll help, but if you already do dry fire practice, then the laser pistol can be used to have fun with. I've seen far more improvement in my shooting through strict dry fire than I did with the laser pistol.

But as I said, it could spice up your practice routine, especially if you get those knock over cans. Those are actually pretty fun to mess around with.

ETA: just make sure that you focus on the sights instead of the laser itself.

Yea I agree dry fire with regular pistol is going to be better due to actual trigger break etc. I initially ordered one so that my wife could /would be able to get more practice at home. It is fun. I will have to make sure I don't watch for the laser "impact". This kit came with two laser targets that make a sound like shooting steel. They have the cans on clearance on Amazon for $75 for 3 and I'm thinking about ordering those too just because they are cheaper than normal :D.

I like their targets, no doubt, but I prefer SIRT for the actual pistol.

I like their targets, no doubt, but I prefer SIRT for the actual pistol.

I looked at those, a bit more costly. There is some variation in the pistols though. I ended up buying another set since they were on sale, the second one has a much better trigger, it feels about right. I plan to stop by Cabelas on Monday and exchange the first one I bought and try to get another with a decent trigger. First hurts my finger after awhile. I'm having some fun with them though, great thing to do in the few hours I have between work and bed. The kids really like being able to try them out too with some help to squeeze the trigger while aiming. Good tool for teaching them gun safety (5 & 3.5)

So far I seem to like this target the best for laser trainers. It's cheap, it's inconspicuous and the target spot is small enough to be a challenge in the house.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMCTX96/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AI51WVS371LAC

The other targets are fun, but this seems to take actual concentration on trigger break /sight alignment to hit for 10-12 yards. The white dot in the middle is the target. It's about 1/2" circle, the rest of it just flashes some red LEDs.

So far I seem to like this target the best for laser trainers. It's cheap, it's inconspicuous and the target spot is small enough to be a challenge in the house.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMCTX96/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AI51WVS371LAC

The other targets are fun, but this seems to take actual concentration on trigger break /sight alignment to hit for 10-12 yards. The white dot in the middle is the target. It's about 1/2" circle, the rest of it just flashes some red LEDs.

That looks interesting. My birthday is this month, maybe I'll ask for one. What kind of battery does it use, I wonder?

So far I seem to like this target the best for laser trainers. It's cheap, it's inconspicuous and the target spot is small enough to be a challenge in the house.https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMCTX96/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AI51WVS371LAC

That looks interesting. My birthday is this month, maybe I'll ask for one. What kind of battery does it use, I wonder?

Uses 3 AAA batteries. From the reviews I read people just leave them on for months and months with no battery drain from just sitting there on. They have magnents on the back so it could be stuck to any metal object and spots to hang from a nail. I just put mine on a floating shelf in the dining room by my wife's decor :P. . It just looks like a smoke detector or something. The laserlyte targets are fun too, but even at 15 yards they are not very challenging for really trying to be precise. Good for draw and fire though, where this one would not be. Worth the $30 to me, shipped pretty quick too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived