Democracy vs Republic

Buckfarrack

Yes we have forgotten the difference.

I don't think that they even teach civics or government classes anymore.

They did when I was a kid. And you haven't lived until you hear a bunch of 9-year-olds arguing

about systems of government. It was pretty good. Especially since everyone had a good grasp of

Democracies vs. Republics.

Wow. To say that the far right advocates no gov. while the far left advocates a dictatorship is blatantly false. Fascism is about as far right as one can get. This video is pretty far removed from reality. It's pretty apparent the person behind this video has no clue about political science/studies. This clown says that a republic is closer to anarchy than democracy. WRONG. And that a democray is close to an oligarchy. WRONG.

This video is so far divorced from reality that it's not even funny. Humor at least has a basis in reality. This video is simply an uninformed person's opinion of the political spectrum. A simple (non-partisan) high-school level polisci (civics) class would go a long way to understanding systems of governance. Seriously, even a 6th grader with 5 minutes to spend researching the topic could tell this video is B.S. A tad bit of critical/analytical thinking goes a long way. Just because something's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Wow. To say that the far right advocates no gov. while the far left advocates a dictatorship is blatantly false. Fascism is about as far right as one can get. This video is pretty far removed from reality. It's pretty apparent the person behind this video has no clue about political science/studies. This clown says that a republic is closer to anarchy than democracy. WRONG. And that a democray is close to an oligarchy. WRONG. This video is so far divorced from reality that it's not even funny. Humor at least has a basis in reality. This video is simply an uninformed person's opinion of the political spectrum. A simple (non-partisan) high-school level polisci (civics) class would go a long way to understanding systems of governance. Seriously, even a 6th grader with 5 minutes to spend researching the topic could tell this video is B.S. A tad bit of critical/analytical thinking goes a long way. Just because something's on the internet doesn't make it true.

A democracy is nothing more than a political system where 51% of the people can take away the rights of the other 49. Yes we elect our politicians via a democratic election and legislation is passed via the democratic process ie majority rules but those political leaders have a set of rules they are to govern within. The left does not do that. Todays democrat party = big government total control and they have no regard for constitutional rights which are the laws the narrator was refering to. If you really do support the rights of the people (all of them) then fine but I find that hard to believe based on your 885 posts since march of last year. Furthermore if you do support our rights but vote left you are of no use anyway and are doing an injustice to yourself and to our cause and frankly I'm getting pretty damn tired of it.

Wow. To say that the far right advocates no gov. while the far left advocates a dictatorship is blatantly false. Fascism is about as far right as one can get. This video is pretty far removed from reality. It's pretty apparent the person behind this video has no clue about political science/studies. This clown says that a republic is closer to anarchy than democracy. WRONG. And that a democray is close to an oligarchy. WRONG.

This video is so far divorced from reality that it's not even funny. Humor at least has a basis in reality. This video is simply an uninformed person's opinion of the political spectrum. A simple (non-partisan) high-school level polisci (civics) class would go a long way to understanding systems of governance. Seriously, even a 6th grader with 5 minutes to spend researching the topic could tell this video is B.S. A tad bit of critical/analytical thinking goes a long way. Just because something's on the internet doesn't make it true.

If you ignore for a moment the right and left and just think on a scale of Total government on one end and No government on the other end it makes more sense.

Democracy is put farther on the totalitarian side because it ignores minorities in its purest form. Two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.

Wow. To say that the far right advocates no gov. while the far left advocates a dictatorship is blatantly false. Fascism is about as far right as one can get. This video is pretty far removed from reality. It's pretty apparent the person behind this video has no clue about political science/studies. This clown says that a republic is closer to anarchy than democracy. WRONG. And that a democray is close to an oligarchy. WRONG. This video is so far divorced from reality that it's not even funny. Humor at least has a basis in reality. This video is simply an uninformed person's opinion of the political spectrum. A simple (non-partisan) high-school level polisci (civics) class would go a long way to understanding systems of governance. Seriously, even a 6th grader with 5 minutes to spend researching the topic could tell this video is B.S. A tad bit of critical/analytical thinking goes a long way. Just because something's on the internet doesn't make it true.

A democracy is nothing more than a political system where 51% of the people can take away the rights of the other 49. Yes we elect our politicians via a democratic election and legislation is passed via the democratic process ie majority rules but those political leaders have a set of rules they are to govern within. The left does not do that. Todays democrat party = big government total control and they have no regard for constitutional rights which are the laws the narrator was refering to. If you really do support the rights of the people (all of them) then fine but I find that hard to believe based on your 885 posts since march of last year. Furthermore if you do support our rights but vote left you are of no use anyway and are doing an injustice to yourself and to our cause and frankly I'm getting pretty damn tired of it.

MAN! THANK YOU Drylock!!! ME TOO! I don't see this kids posts anymore unless he has been quoted. I really hope he moves on.I've received quite a few PM's and I don't think he is very welcome here.He's right and the whole world is wrong....885 times.

Drylock; That's near the defintion of a democracy except it doesn't take 51%. It only takes 50%+1 to rule. A constituttional democracy takes some things off the table unless a super-majority vote over-rides it. As we all know, we live in a republic. But this is a constitutional republic, one where minorities are protected, basically as you stated but in different terms. I'm going to have to disagree with you insofar as the Democratic party doesn't abide by the Const., that's simply your opinion and is not beared out in fact. I could say the same thing about the GOP, but I would be just as wrong as you.

I most certainly do support firearms rights, to include CC. CC is a biggie for me, but it is about the only issue the GOP has that I support. I cannot vote Rep. in good conscious because I would then be rejecting all my other political beliefs. I'm not a single-issue voter, I'm a bit more complex than that. If it weren't for liberals like myself who are working to change the Democratic party from the inside, the CC issue would go nowhere in Illinois. Both my state rep. & senator are for CC. My rep. is a Republican, but more important is that my state senator, who is a Democrat, is for CC. I intend to keep voting left & if you're "tired of it" pehaps you should put me on "ignore" if my posts disturb you that much. I don't wish to upset you. But first, can you please tell me how I am hurting the cause (getting CC in Illinois) simply because my other political views diverge from the GOP orthodoxy?

Hossua; This video has no relation to reality. If you try to make it conform you will only twist your brain doing so. It's quite obvious that the person who made it has no clue about political science. (I laugh about the term "political science" everytime I hear it, but it's as close a term as we have for the subject.)

Fed Farmer; It's the fact that we are a constitutonal republic which slows us from becoming totalitarian. In a true democracy, or republic, we could be totalitarian one day, then near anarchy the next. The FF's knew this, thast's why we have a republic & a constitution.

Buck; 2 PM's is not a "quite a few." None of which were hateful as your reply was. Thanks for calling me a kid, it helps my mother feel younger.

What the hey!!!? Jim Durkin is too conservative for me (gun stance excepted). I'm not a social moderate although I'm somewhat fiscally conservative (I believe spending ought not exceed revenue) and I have no problem with gays getting married. Durkin's not a liberal, but I am. I'm to the left of Durkin, please don't compare me to him.

But this is off-topic.

Archived