Trump says no to bump stocks

spec5

Trump administration to ban bump stocks, 'all devices' that turn 'legal' weapons into machine guns

By Brooke Singman | FoxNews.com

Published March 23, 2018

President Donald Trump announced Friday that the administration would ban bump stocks and all devices that turn otherwise legal weapons into illegal machine guns, keeping a promise made amid a bipartisan gun control debate.

No reason for Rauner to sign bump stock bill then.

I wonder what the right side of the aisle will concede away after the next shooting? Forward grips, flash suppressors, maybe a mag or ammo limit, then semi-autos.

I am sure the number of shootings will be way down with bump stocks getting banned, so maybe we won't have to worry about it.;

How is he going to do that? Unless it goes through the legislature and is signed by him, anything he writes is not law.

Via the DOJ...write an administrative ruling that amends regulations making a bump stock illegal. i.e. define a bump stock as a machine gun - now its illegal.

Isn't that the ATF that has the power to redefine whatever they like ? That's been one of the biggest beefs with them for years is they basically have law making powers when nobody elected them to do so. Obama used them in the same way to ban the import steel core Russian surplus by saying it was now armor piercing. They also attempted to ban M855 under the same guise but the uproar made them back off. For now.

How is he going to do that? Unless it goes through the legislature and is signed by him, anything he writes is not law.

Via the DOJ...write an administrative ruling that amends regulations making a bump stock illegal. i.e. define a bump stock as a machine gun - now its illegal.

Isn't that the ATF that has the power to redefine whatever they like ? That's been one of the biggest beefs with them for years is they basically have law making powers when nobody elected them to do so. Obama used them in the same way to ban the import steel core Russian surplus by saying it was now armor piercing. They also attempted to ban M855 under the same guise but the uproar made them back off. For now.
IIRC he cant use the ATF as they are previously on record stating that bump stocks are not weapons therefore they dont fall under their regulation. So he turns to the DOJ. This will be litigated and likely overturned. Its moving to the public comment stage - now is the time to turn up the heat.

Archived