Straight walled cartridges for deer hunting

Ranger

The opposition to straight walled cartridge rifle hunting season is hunters. Same groups that opposed crossbows.

I would say the majority of those against it were bowhunters.

Yes I would say that too I knew a guy that said your not a hunter unless you use string and stick His string and stick was a compound bow and carbon arrows

with a trigger release

The opposition to straight walled cartridge rifle hunting season is hunters. Same groups that opposed crossbows.

I would say the majority of those against it were bowhunters.

Yes I would say that too I knew a guy that said your not a hunter unless you use string and stick His string and stick was a compound bow and carbon arrows

with a trigger release

I have a relative highly into believing if you aren't a bowhunter you shouldn't be in the woods at all for any reason, you're scaring my deer away.

with a trigger release

The 1st time I shot a compound bow with a release, I felt like I was cheating! After many a year eating tag soup, I'll take any legal advantage I can. I now even own a crossbow, given the price of new bows vs. crossbows and also the accuracy factor (not really any practical range extension). Given the performance of modern "muzzle loaders", there isn't much performance difference between them and the straight walled cartridge rounds we're seeing now. Muzzle loader season should be "firearm" season and include rifles. Perhaps the purists like the limited firepower of muzzle loaders and don't want rapid fire. Could they settle for a no semi-auto limitation that a lot of states have?

I think in many parts of Illinois, hearing a rifle round during deer season is enough to get an uptight neighbor to jack up their pants and start dropping dimes to the conservation po po.

Legal or not.

Yep, I agree.

For me it was really refreshing to step out of the inlaws house this turkey holiday in Arkansas and hear the rifle reports coming from every direction, the father in law said a lot of land around him is rented out by the local deer club(s).

You should be in Michigan on opening day, 30 minutes before sunrise. I find myself trying to get tiny and snuggle up tight to the tree and remind myself there's too many trees between me and them, a bullet will never make it through! Completely different reality there. The early morning news is filled with hunting specific weather info and announcements on the location of each towns buck pole and the after party info too. It's like a 2nd 4th of July each November 15th.

I think in many parts of Illinois, hearing a rifle round during deer season is enough to get an uptight neighbor to jack up their pants and start dropping dimes to the conservation po po.

Legal or not.

Yep, I agree.

For me it was really refreshing to step out of the inlaws house this turkey holiday in Arkansas and hear the rifle reports coming from every direction, the father in law said a lot of land around him is rented out by the local deer club(s).

You should be in Michigan on opening day, 30 minutes before sunrise. I find myself trying to get tiny and snuggle up tight to the tree and remind myself there's too many trees between me and them, a bullet will never make it through! Completely different reality there. The early morning news is filled with hunting specific weather info and announcements on the location of each towns buck pole and the after party info too. It's like a 2nd 4th of July each November 15th.

It's like that in upper Wisconsin as well, I was doing a job up there and on opening week of deer season they close all the schools, pretty much every ma/pa business closes as well, and all they talk about is deer. At the time we were doing a home remodel up there and every other contractor working the gig took the entire week off, it was surreal.

• 7 months later...

Archived