Good thing public transportation is GFZ in Illinois

vito

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-on-st-louis-train-asked-about-michael-brown-attacked/ar-AAa6RBx. Good thing nothing like this could happen here in Illinois. Our public transportation systems are so crime free that there is no need to allow for concealed carry. This probably won't be considered a hate crime, just some angry children expressing their frustrations.

Blatant hate crime (only white guy on the train approached, questioned about Ferguson & attacked??? Nahhhh ....) There will be no big hunt for the animals, no outrage, no hate crime charges, no Obama remarks, no Justice Department investigation, no Al Sharpton ... this crap is getting very old.

No way I'd go on public transportation anymore without at least FOID carrying.

Besides the obvious, what bothered me was that NO ONE on that train tried to stop it. Most laughed or were completely indifferent. Disgusting.

I recall the Bernard Goetz case in NYC many years ago. When attacked by a group of thugs he drew his gun and shot several of them. Ultimately he was cleared of the shooting, but still went to prison for the "illegal" possession of the hand gun in NYC, and essentially ruined his life. I've often thought about the balance and decision making between being unarmed, and obeying the law regarding no guns zones. Neither alternative is even remotely positive. Fortunately for me, I can avoid ever using public transportation, and for the most part I totally avoid going into GFZ locations. Would IL authorities, say in Chicago, be as aggressive in charging an individual who clearly used his gun in self defense, but in a prohibited area? We'll have to wait and see.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-on-st-louis-train-asked-about-michael-brown-attacked/ar-AAa6RBx. Good thing nothing like this could happen here in Illinois. Our public transportation systems are so crime free that there is no need to allow for concealed carry. This probably won't be considered a hate crime, just some angry children expressing their frustrations.

How soon we forget ..................

http://wgntv.com/2014/09/09/7-charged-in-gruesome-machete-attack-on-cta-brown-line/

http://wgntv.com/2014/09/09/7-charged-in-gruesome-machete-attack-on-cta-brown-line/

Looks like someone's sarcasm detector is on the fritz this morning. :)

Looks like someone's sarcasm detector is on the fritz this morning. :)

Detector's alright. Just a little disgusted. Everything's back in sync now.

Blatant hate crime (only white guy on the train approached, questioned about Ferguson & attacked??? Nahhhh ....) There will be no big hunt for the animals, no outrage, no hate crime charges, no Obama remarks, no Justice Department investigation, no Al Sharpton ... this crap is getting very old.

No way I'd go on public transportation anymore without at least FOID carrying.

I'm not sure if anything changed when concealed carry came along, but I remember the instructor for the chicago registration class saying it was alright to transport on the bus/train in chicago.

Well he didn't help himself either. You can't allow to be beaten like that. I don't know. I can never see myself just sitting there and not defend myself. Nothing will happen if the police catch them anyway as he's probably too afraid to press charges. Luckily he seems ok. His ego took the brunt of it. Damn public transit.

You would do exactly what he did: do your damned best to protect your head and face, and not get up so the whole damned car load can jump on you. I was taking the C(rap)TA back from my (forced integration,, 90% black in a white hood) high school in '78. I was one of three whites on a crowded bus. It started with the white girl in the front of the bus being suddenly attacked by 3 or 4 girls out of nowhere, one grabbing her by the hair while the others started punching and kicking her. The guy in the back of the bus was easily the biggest person on it, at about 6' 2" and around 250 pounds -- he did the same thing as the guy in the video when several started wailing on him out of nowhere. I was in the middle, directly across from the side door. The bus was doing 20-25, half a block from the next stop, and I started pulling that buzzer like my life depended upon it. I made my way to the side door quickly, and the driver ignored everything going on, including my desperate plea for him to stop at the damned designated bus stop ... he just kept going. An honor student was kind enough to cold **** me in the back of the head and punch me out the side door of a moving bus.

Nothing was ever done about the situation, no investigation, no suspects apprehended, nothing (as far as I recall) done to the driver, who seemed to be ok with what was going on. The moral of the story? Only an idiot who watches too many kung fu movies will do anything but try to protect their head and face in this kind of situation.

Well he didn't help himself either. You can't allow to be beaten like that. I don't know. I can never see myself just sitting there and not defend myself. Nothing will happen if the police catch them anyway as he's probably too afraid to press charges. Luckily he seems ok. His ego took the brunt of it. Damn public transit.

You would do exactly what he did: do your damned best to protect your head and face, and not get up so the whole damned car load can jump on you. I was taking the C(rap)TA back from my (forced integration,, 90% black in a white hood) high school in '78. I was one of three whites on a crowded bus. It started with the white girl in the front of the bus being suddenly attacked by 3 or 4 girls out of nowhere, one grabbing her by the hair while the others started punching and kicking her. The guy in the back of the bus was easily the biggest person on it, at about 6' 2" and around 250 pounds -- he did the same thing as the guy in the video when several started wailing on him out of nowhere. I was in the middle, directly across from the side door. The bus was doing 20-25, half a block from the next stop, and I started pulling that buzzer like my life depended upon it. I made my way to the side door quickly, and the driver ignored everything going on, including my desperate plea for him to stop at the damned designated bus stop ... he just kept going. An honor student was kind enough to cold **** me in the back of the head and punch me out the side door of a moving bus.

Nothing was ever done about the situation, no investigation, no suspects apprehended, nothing (as far as I recall) done to the driver, who seemed to be ok with what was going on. The moral of the story? Only an idiot who watches too many kung fu movies will do anything but try to protect their head and face in this kind of situation.

See, this is why I teach close-quarters knife fighting, because in a scrum, if you have a good, sharp, short-bladed knife, you can cause MASSIVE damage to attackers. There are even knives that are specifically designed for this sort of thing, like ShivWorks Clinch Pick:

http://assets.tripleaughtdesign.com/media/cache/c9/32/c9325c9d8f3064bd5d262574314a3b9b.jpg?_ga=1.176368933.1261156785.1427676970

Or the Boker SubCom Titan, which doubles as a moneyclip. I carry one on me at all times and keep a few spares around in case I ever lose one.:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p314/HyperKabuto/2010/17c04965.jpg

Combine something like that with actual combat grappling and hand-to-hand skills, and the story of "just protecting your head" changes markedly.

Before anyone starts blathering about "that wouldn't work" or "kung-fu fantasy," bear in mind that I used to do security at 1-percenter biker bars back in my early '20s and I've both seen and been in multiple attacker scenarios where one individual who knew how to effectively use a knife for biomechanical cutting and close-in fighting (which would include me), and without exception the guy with the knife gives at least as good as he gets—and often much better. The key, however, is absolute commitment to the action, since your life is in strong potential jeopardy (see, man with the eggshell skull) and any assault can cause fatal damage due to an unlucky blow.

As Col. Jeff Cooper of Gunsite Academy wrote, with great incisiveness, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six." That applies absolutely to defending one's self against groups.

Yeah, I saw the clip earlier today. GFZ's like the bus/trains are "easy prey" zones and the thugs know it. But I'm "preaching to the choir"

Hopefully not for much longer as bill HB0367 seems to be moving through the house

Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Eliminates provision that prohibits a concealed carry licensee from knowingly carrying a firearm on or into any bus, train, or form of transportation paid for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=367&GAID=13&GA=99&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=84700&SessionID=88

Yeah, I saw the clip earlier today. GFZ's like the bus/trains are "easy prey" zones and the thugs know it. But I'm "preaching to the choir"

Hopefully not for much longer as bill HB0367 seems to be moving through the house.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=367&GAID=13&GA=99&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=84700&SessionID=88

Sorry to disappoint, but moving into the Rules Committee after never even being discussed in Judiciary isn't progress. It moved in the wrong direction.

This is like an altercation on a school bus for Belleville West H.S. sometime during the 2013-14 school year. One black teen started slugging a white teen for no apparent reason and the victim didn't defend himself, even though he was slightly bigger. It turns out the school "policy" is to suspend BOTH if the victim tries to defend themselves! :ermm: :no:

We are training our kids to be WIMPS!! :cry: :pinch:

Hopefully not for much longer as bill HB0367 seems to be moving through the house.

Sorry to disappoint, but moving into the Rules Committee after never even being discussed in Judiciary isn't progress. It moved in the wrong direction.

It was assigned to the Judiciary-Criminal Committee on 2/13/2015 and Firearms safety committee on 2/26, then back to Rules Committee

1/28/2015 House Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Ed Sullivan 1/28/2015 House First Reading 1/28/2015 House Referred to Rules Committee 2/13/2015 House Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee 2/17/2015 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. John D. Anthony 2/26/2015 House To Firearms and Firearm Safety Subcommittee 3/4/2015 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Daniel V. Beiser 3/18/2015 House Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Patrick J. Verschoore 3/27/2015 House Rule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee

See, this is why I teach close-quarters knife fighting, because in a scrum, if you have a good, sharp, short-bladed knife, you can cause MASSIVE damage to attackers. There are even knives that are specifically designed for this sort of thing, like ShivWorks Clinch Pick:

http://assets.tripleaughtdesign.com/media/cache/c9/32/c9325c9d8f3064bd5d262574314a3b9b.jpg?_ga=1.176368933.1261156785.1427676970

Or the Boker SubCom Titan, which doubles as a moneyclip. I carry one on me at all times and keep a few spares around in case I ever lose one.:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p314/HyperKabuto/2010/17c04965.jpg

Combine something like that with actual combat grappling and hand-to-hand skills, and the story of "just protecting your head" changes markedly.

Before anyone starts blathering about "that wouldn't work" or "kung-fu fantasy," bear in mind that I used to do security at 1-percenter biker bars back in my early '20s and I've both seen and been in multiple attacker scenarios where one individual who knew how to effectively use a knife for biomechanical cutting and close-in fighting (which would include me), and without exception the guy with the knife gives at least as good as he gets—and often much better. The key, however, is absolute commitment to the action, since your life is in strong potential jeopardy (see, man with the eggshell skull) and any assault can cause fatal damage due to an unlucky blow.

As Col. Jeff Cooper of Gunsite Academy wrote, with great incisiveness, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six." That applies absolutely to defending one's self against groups.

Absolutely valid situation for a DGU, but you're not allowed to carry where it's needed most. I'd only use a knife in that situation if I was convinced it wasn't stopping until I was dead, and ya figure at least take a few out with you. Either way, if you're alive when it's over, you're getting charged for "killing unarmed urban commuters."

Besides the obvious, what bothered me was that NO ONE on that train tried to stop it. Most laughed or were completely indifferent. Disgusting.

I would have a hard time helping a stranger who just sat there and didnt help himself. Im a big guy but no tough guy, I dont think I could handle 3 thugs by myself. Why jump in and take a beating myself for somebody who just sat there.........

You would do exactly what he did: do your damned best to protect your head and face, and not get up so the whole damned car load can jump on you.

Good to know that's what YOU would do. I've unfortunately have been in a similar situation twice in my life. Neither time did I have anything on me to protect myself except for my hands and legs. I'm not a tough guy by any definition of the word but growing up in Chicago ( Humboldt park, Logan square etc ), you either learn to stand up and protect yourself or you're this guy. I am not this guy and never will be. How many good punches to the head can you take even with your arms up? Kicks to the stomach and kidneys? Defend yourself! I am nobody's punching bag. Carry a knife and know how to use it. Carry a tactical pen and start jabbing. Anything but sit there and wait for them to stop. Some guys wont stop until you're out.

OC/pepper spray is another possibility, although many types would basically fill the bus and affect everyone, including the defender and the driver.

Once the fight was on, not much would matter except either experience or training that included the experience of fighting back after taking a few early punches. That us a lot harder than it looks, especially the first time you try it.

Even better would have been to square up and make it clear that there's about to be a fight when someone tries to force teaming ("Hey, man, can I use your cell phone?") and proceeds from there to psychic himself up/separating you from the rest of the bus ("What do you think about Ferguson and Mike Brown, only white person on the bus? Don't be nervous, there are no right answers, I only ask to emphasize to myself and others around us that what I'm about to do is kind of ok if you think about it.")

A gun would be a very good tool to have depending on how that goes, but it wouldn't take the place of training or experience.

Archived