ABC News: NRA Targets Bump Fire Stocks

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 howie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Reports I've seen and heard said the nut had full auto and semi-auto arms fitted with bump stocks.  Do we know for sure he even used any of the rifles equipped with bump stocks?  Or was it just the full auto rifles he used?  Comparing bump stocks to other firearms accessories is apples and oranges, IMHO.  We've seen the proposed assault weapons ban so many times we've got it pretty much memorized.  Pistol grips, flash hiders, detachable mags, barrel shrouds, bayonet lugs....none of which have anything at all with the rate of fire of the rifles they are attached to.  We can't say that about bump stocks.  They DO change the effective rate of fire, and if, in fact, the turd out west used a bump fire stock, we're gonna have a really hard time defending that particular item.

I don't like compromising on any of this stuff, and for full disclosure I'm a patron NRA member.  Given the circumstances of what we think happened out west I think it's gonna be very damaging to our cause to try to defend those stocks. 

NRA Patron Member
ISRA Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/PPITH Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

www.boondocktactical.com

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#62 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

No harm comes from following the 'spirit' of a law. There seem to always be 'that' group of folks who just HAVE to push the boundaries and stretch them to the breaking point of reason. IMHO one such bunch created the slide-fire/bump-fire devices to thumb their collective noses at the BATF and full auto firearm regs. Once a maniac acquired them however, the joke ceased being funny and the relatively useless devices WILL pay the price along with any groups or individuals who attempt to support them.

#63 snooter

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

I dont own any of those pos bump stocks...but some of you are a gestapo wet dream...how many jews would you have turned in cause you felt the spirit of the nurenberg laws was not being followed cause old lady johnson was hiding jews in her cellar...

#64 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

There's a big difference in not having a problem with something's prohibition and turning in those who would disobey. Nice judgement, though ;)

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#65 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

No harm comes from following the 'spirit' of a law. There seem to always be 'that' group of folks who just HAVE to push the boundaries and stretch them to the breaking point of reason. IMHO one such bunch created the slide-fire/bump-fire devices to thumb their collective noses at the BATF and full auto firearm regs. Once a maniac acquired them however, the joke ceased being funny and the relatively useless devices WILL pay the price along with any groups or individuals who attempt to support them.

I think if the spirit of the law was to prohibit possession of any firearm that fires quickly like full auto, Congress would have included Gatling guns in the original prohibition.

To my knowledge they were not included.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#66 GT1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Optics?
Here are the optics as I see them, the NRA, GOP led congress, and an administration the ran partially on a pro-2A platform is likely to approve and sign the first gun control legislation that made it to the oval office in decades. My NRA membership is up, not another dime from me.  They can optic that right up their you know what.  :thinking:

gun totin' liberal
All fundamental liberties are interrelated. When you weaken one, you weaken them all, even if it is not immediately apparent to the short-sighted and fearful.

#67 howie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

I dont own any of those pos bump stocks...but some of you are a gestapo wet dream...how many jews would you have turned in cause you felt the spirit of the nurenberg laws was not being followed cause old lady johnson was hiding jews in her cellar...

None.  You've got to be kidding.

NRA Patron Member
ISRA Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/PPITH Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

www.boondocktactical.com

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#68 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

The spirit of the citizen denied full auto law was the camels nose under the tent. It's intent was to start the disarming of America.
There is nothing wrong with free people having full autos or any item. If the people can not be trusted, then those same people drawing a government pay check can not be trusted. Our founding fathers tried to keep the government from being an elite special privilege masters because they personally experienced this under a king. Our founding fathers knew the wisdom of owning canon.

Edited by Smallbore, 06 October 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#69 FF1984

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

The spirit of the citizen denied full auto law was the camels nose under the tent. It's intent was to start the disarming of America.
There is nothing wrong with free people having full autos or any item. If the people can not be trusted, then those same people drawing a government pay check can not be trusted. Our founding fathers tried to keep the government from being an elite special privilege masters because they personally experienced this under a king. Our founding fathers knew the wisdom of owning canon.

Our leaders, in theory, are drawn from the regular populace.  If the "masters" are afforded rights and, by proxy "special" protections that the rest of us are not, the great experiment our founders set out to conduct has failed.  Who is to blame?  

#70 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

It ought to be against the law to kill people.  If we made that ilegal we wouldn't need any other restrictions on how it happens.  Right?

#71 357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

It's really disgusting to blame a piece of plastic for the deaths. It's a slippery slope and the NRA should argue that the bump fire stock makes the weapon inaccurate and more people would have died without it and they are used by millions of people for recreation and should not be blamed and banned for the actions of one criminal.
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#72 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

I removed a couple posts from view for the reason TRJ stated (good call).

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#73 357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

He was a millionaire and was eligible and could afford automatic weapons. He would have killed a lot more people and legislation and ATF rule change would not have stopped him. It doesn't make sense that he used bump fire stocks and a lot of people who have experience with bump fire stocks are saying it sounded like an automatic weapon.
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#74 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Early on, one of the reports said there was at least one fully automatic rifle found in the room. That was before the bump stocks were revealed, though, so that might've been what it was referring to.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#75 yurimodin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

He was a millionaire and was eligible and could afford automatic weapons. He would have killed a lot more people and legislation and ATF rule change would not have stopped him. It doesn't make sense that he used bump fire stocks and a lot of people who have experience with bump fire stocks are saying it sounded like an automatic weapon.

tbh with the $$$ that guy had I am surprised their were not any black market machine guns.............

#76 mostholycerebus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

I hate bump fire stocks, I hate a lot of things, that doesn't mean the Givernement should be banning anything relate to our rights. If anything this should be the poster child for how gun control measures will never stop criminals, and we should repeal the GCA.

Anyone willing to fold for this incrementalism is ignorant, a fool, or a traitor.

#77 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

Considering that you can bump fire with a stick or a finger . . . .

#78 HeavyDuty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

Considering that you can bump fire with a stick or a finger . . . .

That’s fine - your finger or a stick aren’t a commercial product designed to tweak the noses of the regulators.

#79 Prairie Pucker

• 1,651 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

We're giving up the hill before the enemy even gets out of the truck. If there's a case to be made for restrictions, let them make it. Don't give away ground based on feelings.

Another way to look at it is, the NRA is letting the air out of the truck's tires on its way up the hill. 

Edited by Prairie Pucker, 12 October 2017 - 10:07 AM.

- PP

"One State---One Law"

NRA Endowment Life; ISRA

#80 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,908 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

We're giving up the hill before the enemy even gets out of the truck. If there's a case to be made for restrictions, let them make it. Don't give away ground based on feelings.

Another way to look at it is, the NRA is letting the air out of the truck's tires on its way up the hill. 

I thought that is what you do when you want to increase your traction on a slippery hill, so that more of the tire can rest on the ground and transfer more of the engine's power to a greater area, thus helping you get up the hill more effectively, if a bit slower. It looks like it would be unhelpful to an uninformed outsider, but in reality it is a subtle benefit to overcoming the obstacle.

Or . . . is that what you mean by that analogy?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#81 quackersmacker

• 1,381 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

NRA opposes Feinstein bumpstock bill:

http://freebeacon.co...stock-ban-bill/

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#82 OldMarineVet

• 2,080 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

And Feinstein opposes NRA calling out ATF to review bump stock for regulation...

---------------------------

"Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.), who has introduced bills with similar wording in previous years, said calls from the NRA and others for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to reexamine the legality of bump fire stocks were not enough."

"The ATF lacks authority under the law to ban bump fire stocks," Feinstein said. "Period. The agency made this crystal clear in a 2013 letter to Congress, writing that ‘stocks of this type are not subject to the provisions of federal firearms statutes.' Legislation is the only answer and Congress shouldn't attempt to pass the buck."

Edited by OldMarineVet, 12 October 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#83 Prairie Pucker

• 1,651 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

I thought that is what you do when you want to increase your traction on a slippery hill, so that more of the tire can rest on the ground and transfer more of the engine's power to a greater area, thus helping you get up the hill more effectively, if a bit slower. It looks like it would be unhelpful to an uninformed outsider, but in reality it is a subtle benefit to overcoming the obstacle.

Or . . . is that what you mean by that analogy?

Not hardly.

- PP

"One State---One Law"

NRA Endowment Life; ISRA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users