Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

omg_its_john_cena

Keep posting those local Chicago area switchblade bans!

Like those "no gun" places, I have no desire to shop, eat or visit a city or shop that bans weapons that are now completely legal in the state!!!

Besides that, I'm always looking for excuses to not visit the Chicago area!

Good idea, please keep posting local switchblade laws and I'll gather them. It looks like there's more of them than we thought! If so, this could help our representatives leverage a knife law preemption bill. I start maintaining a document for our use also.

Send me a PM with the name of the township and law if you don't want to publish personal information beyond me. I just received an email on this one in Addison. Only prohibits selling switchblades:

=================================================================

Sec. 21-3. Sale, etc., of Certain Knives.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale or possess for the purpose of selling any knife, the blade of which shall open or be exposed by any push button, spring or mechanical device. (Ord. 70-32)

"Based on this as we are a home rule community our ordinance supersedes State law."

Sticky time....

Anywhere in the far NE IL selling auto knifes?

Not yet (new thread coming) Edited by OldMarineVet

It anyone knows where you can buy a good old OTF I'd like to know, I don't like the new sissy^[^[^'^'afty model that everyone sells.

I have one from my youth 6" with pearls given to me by my grandparent. You press the button and it doesn't stop until it locks out, it penetrates or pushes your hand,

it's just to darn valuable to carry. Yes is can eject in your pants and give you a serious hurt.

The back end has a removable piece you put over the tip of the blade and you push it into concrete or a hard surface to **** it.

That's a REAL stiletto!

I understand that this new state law doesn't have a preemption clause. While that might be a problem when coming up against a Home Rule municipality that has it's own ban, it won't be an issue when it comes up against a non-Home Rule municipality that has a ban. State law overrides any non-Home Rule municipality's law when there is a conflict.

I don't know how many non-Home Rule municipalities have a ban on the books, but I figured this should be considered.

I understand that this new state law doesn't have a preemption clause. While that might be a problem when coming up against a Home Rule municipality that has it's own ban, it won't be an issue when it comes up against a non-Home Rule municipality that has a ban. State law overrides any non-Home Rule municipality's law when there is a conflict.

I don't know how many non-Home Rule municipalities have a ban on the books, but I figured this should be considered.

That's good to know, Hazborgufen. Interesting the Addison report made a point of that: "Based on this as we are a home rule community our ordinance supersedes State law."

Makes sense. Might others be able to chime in on the above? It would certainly be good news.

Very good point. I saw one community that had UUW written that said it was illegal unless it allowed by law. Saw several others that also had conceal carry bans in their unlawful weapons wording. Guess they just leave it on the books and dont worry about being accurate with state law.

Has anyone here dealt with GPknives ? They have some nice prices and a 618 area code ( Southern Illinois ).

Yes, highly recommend them. Picked up an OTF from them today. Huge selection in the store now of autos in addition to online.

Thank you . Guess I'll have to decide which Kershaw Launch ( 5 or 6 ) I want now.

I was initially planning on picking up a Kershaw launch, until I read the reviews... seems it's not uncommon for them to open and not lock up fully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I wanted to update this in case anyone else was thinking of getting a Kershaw. My Kershaw Launch 6 came in the mail today. I bought from GPKnives and recommend them highly.

I opened the box and opened the blade. There was no wobble side to side nor up and down, really solid knife. I started playing with it by repeatedly firing the blade. After about 30 openings it hadn't failed to lock and I thought , " well nothing wrong with this knife!" . You all have heard about those famous last words , or in this case thoughts ...... , well I fired the blade again and no lockup.

As long as you hold this knife loosely between your thumb and first finger with the other fingers just touching the handle to stabilize the knife , it will lock every time you fire it. If you take a firm hold on this knife so that the handle part of the knife can't move when the blade is fired , it will fail to lock every time. There is only about a 1/16" of the plunger that contacts the blade to hold it open.

This is a very well made knife and very sharp blade if it only had a better lock. I will now be looking for a different brand unfortunately .

Has anyone here dealt with GPknives ? They have some nice prices and a 618 area code ( Southern Illinois ).

Yes, highly recommend them. Picked up an OTF from them today. Huge selection in the store now of autos in addition to online.

Thank you . Guess I'll have to decide which Kershaw Launch ( 5 or 6 ) I want now.

I was initially planning on picking up a Kershaw launch, until I read the reviews... seems it's not uncommon for them to open and not lock up fully.

I wanted to update this in case anyone else was thinking of getting a Kershaw. My Kershaw Launch 6 came in the mail today. I bought from GPKnives and recommend them highly.

I opened the box and opened the blade. There was no wobble side to side nor up and down, really solid knife. I started playing with it by repeatedly firing the blade. After about 30 openings it hadn't failed to lock and I thought , " well nothing wrong with this knife!" . You all have heard about those famous last words , or in this case thoughts ...... , well I fired the blade again and no lockup.

As long as you hold this knife loosely between your thumb and first finger with the other fingers just touching the handle to stabilize the knife , it will lock every time you fire it. If you take a firm hold on this knife so that the handle part of the knife can't move when the blade is fired , it will fail to lock every time. There is only about a 1/16" of the plunger that contacts the blade to hold it open.

This is a very well made knife and very sharp blade if it only had a better lock. I will now be looking for a different brand unfortunately .

FWIW-I picked up a LAUNCH 5 from GAT today- I tried to duplicate the aforementioned malfunction-couldn't get it to do it. Worked fine every time. I lost my Kershaw AO on vacation a few weeks back-this will fill the bill.

The one thing I'm curious about is, does the extension of the blade have enough force to pierce something like a belly? It comes out with authority, and I can see being in a ground and pound situation where you're on the losing end, and pressing the end of the blade against your assailant's belly and activating the blade. I haven't been able to find much online regarding this particular use.

For the "double action" OTF's (the ones that open and close automatically), no. At least not any of the Microtech or Benchmade models. The reason is that the springs don't act directly on the blade; they give it a push to get it started, and then the blade just coasts into the lock. The blade is only under spring tension for the first 1/4" or so of travel.

You might get a minor cut, but not a serious wound. My Ultratech will penetrate about a quarter inch into a roll of Charmin, that's about it.

"Single action" designs, where the blade is always under spring tension and must be retracted manually, may be different. I haven't handled any of those yet. The Microtech Halo series is single action, as is the one SiliconSorceror described.

It anyone knows where you can buy a good old OTF I'd like to know, I don't like the new sissy^[^[^'^'afty model that everyone sells.

I have one from my youth 6" with pearls given to me by my grandparent. You press the button and it doesn't stop until it locks out, it penetrates or pushes your hand,

it's just to darn valuable to carry. Yes is can eject in your pants and give you a serious hurt.

The back end has a removable piece you put over the tip of the blade and you push it into concrete or a hard surface to **** it.

That's a REAL stiletto!

As I mentioned above, check out the Halo series...

The one thing I'm curious about is, does the extension of the blade have enough force to pierce something like a belly? It comes out with authority, and I can see being in a ground and pound situation where you're on the losing end, and pressing the end of the blade against your assailant's belly and activating the blade. I haven't been able to find much online regarding this particular use.

For the "double action" OTF's (the ones that open and close automatically), no. At least not any of the Microtech or Benchmade models. The reason is that the springs don't act directly on the blade; they give it a push to get it started, and then the blade just coasts into the lock. The blade is only under spring tension for the first 1/4" or so of travel.

You might get a minor cut, but not a serious wound. My Ultratech will penetrate about a quarter inch into a roll of Charmin, that's about it.

"Single action" designs, where the blade is always under spring tension and must be retracted manually, may be different. I haven't handled any of those yet. The Microtech Halo series is single action, as is the one SiliconSorceror described.

That's a REAL stiletto!

As I mentioned above, check out the Halo series...

The Halo is interesting, but they're hard to find, as well as expensive.

My buddy down in Texas has a couple of them...one he carries occasionally, and the other is more of a show and tell piece....it was incredibly expensive.

It's interesting though that the single action models are the ones that have the power to fully extend despite something being in the path of the blade. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

The Microtech I ordered just arrived today and man is it nice!

For an OTF, the lockup on it is very solid, and there's barely any side to side and front to back movement.

The trigger that fires and retracts the blade takes some force to activate both to open and close it. To close it the force required to move the trigger is a bit less than to open it. I wouldn't worry about anything accidentally firing the blade.

Great knife, and I can already see that I'll eventually have a collection lol

Which one did you go with? I want a utx-70 but they don't have them in stock anywhere. And no word from microtech on when they will be back. I'm trying to be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I asked a Microtech employee about two months ago, he said there should be a run of 70s later this year...

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Do you know if you can order a specific one?

I don't know why but I like this one the best.

0e2921b9eb9feb5e8e628dbf17009771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just won the lottery, so here is the knife I am buying as my new EDC; I will carry it in a back sheath:

https://youtu.be/t471jj939iM

Need to win the lottery just to buy the normal size one, there's just nothing in a knife that can justify that cost.

Adams Knifeworks has a Pro-tech Dark Angel (S/A) in stock:

http://www.adamsknifeworks.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2039

Haven't handled one, but checked out a video review and it looked pretty stout. I've heard good things about Pro-tech's quality, and it's about a third of the price of a base model Halo...

My new Launch 2 from GP works great, every time. I could not get it to misfire whether holding it tightly or with just pinching the handle with 2 fingers (one finger on the button/one on the other side). Very happy with it for about $100 after tax (I went to their shop in Troy, IL.

Edited by clamzo

I may have been to quick to downgrade the Kershaw Launch 6 . Maybe it has to be broken in , I don't know , but I just got through firing the blade over 100 times and it locked open every time.

I really like the looks and feel of this knife.

Great news. Glad it worked itself out. Edited by OldMarineVet

I may have been to quick to downgrade the Kershaw Launch 6 . Maybe it has to be broken in , I don't know , but I just got through firing the blade over 100 times and it locked open every time.

I really like the looks and feel of this knife.

Great news. Glad it worked itself out.

Thanks , I am also. I really like this knife and will now probably end up buying a Launch 5 also.

I just wanted to let anyone who might be interested in this Kershaw series know that I jumped to soon in giving a bad review on this knife.

I now own a Pro-Tech Runt and a Kershaw Launch 3. I whole-heartly recommend both! The Runt is probably more practical for daily carry (no, not for protection, but for the the many occasions I just need to use a knife) ... but the Launch 3 wins the "cool" factor! Both lock back with authority. I'm feeling an addiction coming on and already have two more switchblades on order! Probably will join a knife-oriented group to further my addiction. Not sure it would make much sense to have a knife forum here.

I purchased a smith and Wesson M&p automatic knife from www.bladehq.com . Came in the mail Friday and I have to say it's kinda neat. Been carrying it for a couple days now. The quality seems pretty good for a $59.00 blade. We'll see how it hold up but so far I'm happy. Edited by Jam77