Suppressor Bill update?

TrashBandito

I see that it currently sits in rules committee limbo, any other updates on this?

I know nothing official but would say this is where it is staying. Given the political climate and plethora of feel good anti gun bills this year (and the multiple black Wednesdays,) there is nothing that will move this along. Madigan and J Cullerton did not let any of the simplest pro bills through I can think of.

Momentum Todd had generated 2 years ago is pretty much gone IMO. The bill dies at the end of this session in Jan.

If it has any chance of revival in the new 2019-2021 ILGA session, people need to vote and reelect Rauner and pro 2A state Reps and Senators

The Rules committee could push it to the Judiciary committee just to kill it officially.

After the election, it would probably be better to spend any remaining political energy this session on the promised trailer bill to the firearms restraining order law and on preventing an override to the inevitable gun dealer licensing veto.

so, no hope then?

Well, there is always hope...but it's not a very good strategy.

Committees earlier wouldn't pass allowing judges carrying in court house or permit non state service people stationed in IL to get a CCL so I think this makes for "a hard row to hoe"

I don't see any way it's happening this session before the ILGA ends in Jan. We've got to worry about the other anti bills hanging around and the lame duck candidates no longer worried about constituent feedback and reelection.

Maybe a Rauner reelection and good decisions for Reps and Senators will give us a shot in the next General Assembly. Logic and lobbying had progress made a couple of years back but I think all of that education and goodwill has been lost.

Something at the Federal level removing them from NSA would be nice but would need to override state restrictions to help us.

so, no hope then?

Well, there is always hope...but its not a very good strategy.

I dont see any way its happening this session before the ILGA ends in Jan. We've got to worry about the other anti bills hanging around and the lame duck candidates, no longer worried about constituent feedback and reelection.

Maybe a Rauner reelection and good decisions for Reps and Senators will give us a shot in the next General Assembly. Logic and lobbying had progress made a couple of years back but I think all of that has been lost.

Something at the Federal level removing them from NSA would be nice but would need to override state restrictions to help us.

What about at the federal level? We might get some federal regs loosened up if we can get the share act passed. Granted, that doesn't help us in IL, but it's something.

SHARE Act looks like it is stalled

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr3668

I know many may not be interested in suppressors but the misinformation presented on them is huge. And yet 42 other states allow them.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-04-at-10.47.31-PM.pn

https://americansuppressorassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Screen-Shot-2017-09-04-at-10.47.31-PM.png

My threaded barrels look silly without them.

I get a laugh out of all the threaded barrel pistols in the LGS. They say they sell a lot of them. A lot of people bought into the hype to the degree that they don't even know that handgun use would still be prohibited even if the proposed bill passed.

We can dream but until king M is gone there won't be anything good happen in firearms rights unless the courts demand it.

As much as I would love to see us get suppressors in Illinois, I think we let the moment pass us by last year. The antis have done a very good job of including them in their smear campaigns since last November and have successfully put us in a majorly defensive posture at least since the start of the year.

At this point, I think our efforts are best spent regrouping and finding ways to re-energize the base for the coming fight in Illinois over the SEVERE restrictions we all know will be proposed next year. We'd all like to believe that we can turn the tides in this election, but it's looking more and more like we'd be fools to plan for anything better than JB rubber-stamping everything that comes from a very anti-2A legislature.

The only question is how we keep the "troops" going when it seems like we're substantially outmatched and just barely surviving each battle while slowly losing a war of attrition.

With that map we look extremely dumb compared to everyone around us in other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL. Since when has looking dumb been considered in other foolish bills that have been filed or downright embarrassing statements/presentations made in debate.

CA, NY, MA, NJ, HI...what a fine bunch we are in with /s and none of them are close. If they are such a problem why dont we have an influx of illegal suppressor related shootings...hunh? hunh? oh, right, because there is a law againt it /s /s /s

• 2 weeks later...

This was never going anywhere, not in IL, not nationally.

If you thought it ever had a chance, you were duped.

Glad the folks in Iowa did not have that thought back in 2016! Will it go anywhere in IL? Not soon IMO. Can it? Will we reelect Rauner and pro 2A Reps and Senators?

I think if there's any hope it's at the federal level. Sure they'll be 'banned' in IL but at least the rest of the country can have reasonable access to safety equipment

This was never going anywhere, not in IL, not nationally.

If you thought it ever had a chance, you were duped.

Glad the folks in Iowa did not have that thought back in 2016! Will it go anywhere in IL? Not soon IMO. Can it? Will we reelect Rauner and pro 2A Reps and Senators?

I think if there's any hope it's at the federal level. Sure they'll be 'banned' in IL but at least the rest of the country can have reasonable access to safety equipment
I could be wrong, but what I read 2 years ago with the ILGA makeup, proper education, good lobbying, taking them to the range and seeing (hearing) truth instead of hyperbole made me think there was a chance. Of course there was still Madigan to get through!

Can we get back to that position? Maybe, although not if we elect JBP and the Nybos of the world keep caving in.

Sometimes I feel like we're just lucky to have guns in IL let alone trying to argue for suppressors. I sure would have bought a bunch of pistols with threaded barrels trying to count on this passing.

IL, outside of NE part of the state, doesnt seem so bad when one considers CA, NJ, NY, etc.;however, it gets so tiring constantly fighting to keep what we have and being unable to get Reps and Senators (and Madigan/J Cullerton) to consider true common sense legislation instead of just knocking anything down that is Pro 2A and practically auto advancing anything anti 2A.

Why do all of these horrible things expected not occur in legalized states but they will ruin IL? (<-- rhetorical)

I'm looking at a new .22 and I dont think they have a model without a threaded barrel.

Like just about everything else regarding to guns, politicians learn about suppressors through what they see in movies and on TV shows. The Hollywood version has .45s sounding like pellet guns with a "silencer" when bad guys quietly murder innocent people, so that is what politicians believe they sound like and what will happen if they legalize them. Facts mean nothing to the uneducated.

Like just about everything else regarding to guns, politicians learn about suppressors through what they see in movies and on TV shows. The Hollywood version has .45s sounding like pellet guns with a "silencer" when bad guys quietly murder innocent people, so that is what politicians believe they sound like and what will happen if they legalize them. Facts mean nothing to the uneducated.

Exactly. We made progress a couple of years ago when Todd et al and the suppressor groups started an education campaign and got the politicians out to the range to hear the truth. Weve lost that and with a newly (hopefully re-)elected governor and a new 2 yr ILGA it is most likely large ground to recover given this past year in the legislature.

Hollywood gunfire is what real-life suppressed guns sound like. Hollywood suppressed guns are what real-life BB guns sound like.

Archived