Chicago Firearm Meetup

VVelox

You are borrowing this idea from the BDSM community? It says that in your other thread on another board.

http://www.thehighro...ad.php?t=693215

"I think the time has come to borrow an idea from the BDSM community, specifically the idea of a munch. In the BDSM community a munch is a low key/pressure get together at a bar/restaurant to socialize and discuss things. This allows the novices and curious a chance to ask questions and the experienced a chance to socialize."

What is this, some kind of alternative lifestyle event? I'm all about getting together to discuss firearms and the like but What the hey!!! are you coming from, especially being new here and having so few posts to try to be organizing an event like this? Setting a date on Valentine's day at the Billy Goat Tavern? What is your real agenda, to discuss forearms or pick up people for your alternative lifestyle? I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like this one bit.

For those of you who may have overlooked this or don't know what BDSM is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bdsm

Maybe I'm way off here but I really want some real clarification from the OP.

Paranoid much?

You are borrowing this idea from the BDSM community? It says that in your other thread on another board.

http://www.thehighro...ad.php?t=693215

"I think the time has come to borrow an idea from the BDSM community, specifically the idea of a munch. In the BDSM community a munch is a low key/pressure get together at a bar/restaurant to socialize and discuss things. This allows the novices and curious a chance to ask questions and the experienced a chance to socialize."

What is this, some kind of alternative lifestyle event? I'm all about getting together to discuss firearms and the like but What the hey!!! are you coming from, especially being new here and having so few posts to try to be organizing an event like this? Setting a date on Valentine's day at the Billy Goat Tavern? What is your real agenda, to discuss forearms or pick up people for your alternative lifestyle? I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like this one bit.

For those of you who may have overlooked this or don't know what BDSM is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bdsm

Maybe I'm way off here but I really want some real clarification from the OP.

Paranoid much?

Farmer, if you or your wife organized this meeting I would be 100% gung ho about going........ I'm pretty sure you wouldn't host it at the Billy Goat tavern either.

.......not when some NEWB posting, BDSM creeper aka "the guy in the black rimmed hat" organizes it in the most anti area of all places decides to do it on Valentine's day.

Who knows what they will be wearing that day anyway?

I would be more inclined to attend somewhere not in the loop and at a spot with a good to acceptable beer selection. The Goat is fun and famous... And the burgers are OK and I've been going there since 1974... But the selection of beer is abysmal.

Dive bars I've enjoyed:

Rabbit's @ Foster and Elston

Christine's @ Kedzie and Grace

Both have outstanding and nicely priced burgers. Good Craft and Macro beer selection at Rabbit's. $3 Guinness at Christine's. Both have open seating. In sure there are others.

The problem with both of those is they are a bit problematic to get to than a nice location off of one of the major CTA rail routes.

This is also not about beer, but building community and working on bringing those who are on the edge and curious into the community. This is why we need a easy to access location.

Paranoid much?

Farmer, if you or your wife organized this meeting I would be 100% gung ho about going........ I'm pretty sure you wouldn't host it at the Billy Goat tavern either.

.......not when some NEWB posting, BDSM creeper aka "the guy in the black rimmed hat" organizes it in the most anti area of all places decides to do it on Valentine's day.

And you've obviously not read the rest of this thread. If you have you would of noticed it was moved to the 21st. I would of changed it in the original post but it does not allow me to edit that one.

As to the original scheduling conflict, it is not a date I track as it is a big one for my wife and I.

As to the area it is being held being unfriendly to us, yes, Chicago is that way and it is something that we have to live with and be willing to work with. And it is by doing stuff like this we can begin making a slow and eventual change. I am also going for Chicago as it happens to be where I live so it makes for a natural choice for me to do something like this here. I strongly suggest others work on creating similar sort of events in their own areas.

As to the intersectionality between firearms and BDSM in this area, it has a to do with both not being well liked and it being problematic creating open useful discussion groups for new comers to a subject or the curious to come and ask questions in person. Online forums are useful, but others prefer face to face. It also helps put a more human face on the subject as well. Face to face also provides a notable check on the internet-tough-guy problem.

As to how I know what I will be wearing, I don't. I just know I plan to wear that hat. It is not like I specified what pants, shirt, boxers, boots, etc I would also be wearing. How do I know I will be wearing that hat? It is simple as it is the one I nearly always wear.

Also what is wrong about organizing it at a easy to access bar/restraunt that tends to have lots of available setting at that day of the week and hour? It is not like that location is fixed, but to we need one that will make it non-problematic for the locals to get out to when it comes to attracting people to it. This location is pretty universally reachable by those here in Chicago by only one CTA transfer, which makes it more likely the curious will come. It is not the largest place, but initially I doubt that is important. When me and a few others worked on founding PS:1, we did not begin attracting a large number of people for many months. For about 6 months it was just a small group that took up a table at the back of a coffee shop. I expect this to be the same initially.

There are several of us on another site (for Illinois residents ) that have been discussing a get together SOMEWHERE in this area of the state. Most of us do not visit the city more than once or twice a year. Close to an expressway with good parking is very important.

We could have the first meeting AFTER IGOLD and be better informed. AND we could all wear our nice new hats for easier recognition. Unless you are seriously involved in the gun issue the IGOLD hats will mean 0 to other folks.

Remember we had 80 folks meet in Beecher,100 in Joliet,100 in Lemont and another 100 in Morris. Many folks in the suburbs do not mind driving but do not want to put up with Chicago driving,traffic lights,crazy speed zones and one way streets not to mention accidentally getting off the expresway in a bad neighborhood.

I did not make the meetings to the north of the city so can not comment on that.

If you want a belly meeting somewhere there are many suburbs that fill the bill and are expressway friendly. Yes we WILL drive a distance to attend a good meeting and so should all others if you are really serious.

Pick a place, pick a date. Should we meet at the same place every month?

What say you?

There are several of us on another site (for Illinois residents ) that have been discussing a get together SOMEWHERE in this area of the state. Most of us do not visit the city more than once or twice a year. Close to an expressway with good parking is very important.

We could have the first meeting AFTER IGOLD and be better informed. AND we could all wear our nice new hats for easier recognition. Unless you are seriously involved in the gun issue the IGOLD hats will mean 0 to other folks.

Remember we had 80 folks meet in Beecher,100 in Joliet,100 in Lemont and another 100 in Morris. Many folks in the suburbs do not mind driving but do not want to put up with Chicago driving,traffic lights,crazy speed zones and one way streets not to mention accidentally getting off the expresway in a bad neighborhood.

I did not make the meetings to the north of the city so can not comment on that.

If you want a belly meeting somewhere there are many suburbs that fill the bill and are expressway friendly. Yes we WILL drive a distance to attend a good meeting and so should all others if you are really serious.

Pick a place, pick a date. Should we meet at the same place every month?

What say you?

We are going to have to realize we cannot please everyone. Somewhere in the burbs is nice for people that live there, but you are making it just as hard for people in the city. Some don't have cars remember. Plus this is supposed to be a chicago meetup, not chicagoland. I think you suburbs guys should get one together too though.

Strange all the time I thought this was about ILLINOIS carry and all help was needed. If I had been informed before I would have never attended any of the meetings I have over the last 5 years and offered range time and gun handling courses at no charge. Now I see what the folks down south mean.

We will keep our meetings away from where we are NOT WELCOME. We will schedule ALL of our meetings where we will be welcome.

Strange all the time I thought this was about ILLINOIS carry and all help was needed. If I had been informed before I would have never attended any of the meetings I have over the last 5 years and offered range time and gun handling courses at no charge. Now I see what the folks down south mean.

We will keep our meetings away from where we are NOT WELCOME. We will schedule ALL of our meetings where we will be welcome.

This is not about any one being unwelcomed, but about targeting a specific area. I am trying this for Chicago as I live here and believe this is something that would be useful here so I am working on targeting the city proper, which means choosing a easy to access in regards to the CTA and it all being within fairly easy travel for any one who may come from with in the city.

As to the rest of IL and really the rest of the US, we need are people to begin looking at forming their own small local groups that will serve the same purpose.

This is not meant to be a massive state wide thing, but something meant on forming small pockets to help the curious, maybe convert the occasionally anti, and maybe help build the local community in some new and interesting way. Each pocket their own more or less disconnected group operating locally in their area. While big area wide organizing is good, it also needs small highly local groups that serve as feeders for the subject at hand by bringing new people in.

I've been pondering how best to maybe get a few curious people out to it. The problem with just getting people from this board or another board out is we are already interested in the subject, but as the goal is to get the curious out and ease them into it and provide direction, we need to get some there.

To this ends I've been thinking posting to the Chicago subreddit about this when the date nears. That will likely nab us a few interested people and I know a few at work I can probably talk at least one into coming.

This is not about any one being unwelcomed, but about targeting a specific area. I am trying this for Chicago as I live here and believe this is something that would be useful here so I am working on targeting the city proper, which means choosing a easy to access in regards to the CTA and it all being within fairly easy travel for any one who may come from with in the city.

As to the rest of IL and really the rest of the US, we need are people to begin looking at forming their own small local groups that will serve the same purpose.

This is not meant to be a massive state wide thing, but something meant on forming small pockets to help the curious, maybe convert the occasionally anti, and maybe help build the local community in some new and interesting way. Each pocket their own more or less disconnected group operating locally in their area. While big area wide organizing is good, it also needs small highly local groups that serve as feeders for the subject at hand by bringing new people in.

It sounds like many, if not most of the members of this forum live in the sticks that may be afraid of things like public transpertation and street lights :P Hopefully a day/time can get sorted out!

I can't tell if yer joking or not.. what's so bad about bdsm? :P And I like billy goat... they have yummy burgers

I think it's a cool idea, to have a gun meetup from illinoiscarry.com in chicago, it's sort of a slap in the face to the machine, isn't it? And a kind of victory dance, at this point.

What is your problem bill? You are completely out of line here. There have been a couple meetups in the burbs in my short time here. NONE in the city. You make it seem like us Chicago guys aren't allowed to get together for a little meet and greet. What gives you the authority to say that? When Valinda or David or Tim or one of the others say they don't want any Chicago meetups, then fine.

The fact is you have come in here and hijacked VVelox's Chicago meet up and are trying to make it a suburb meetup. I've got a better idea. Why don't YOU start your own thread and organize a suburb meetup. I will try and make that one too. In the meantime I heartily applaud VVelox for taking the initiative. That is how we get things done. Not by raining on other people's parades.

Sine VVelox has taken the initiative, and there is certainly no consensus to change the plan, I say we go with his plan. People will make it if they can. No way around that really. We can adjust if there is consensus later.

I think what we are putting together here is more of a simple meet and greet. It probably doesn't need to be described in terms of BDSM culture lol. Frankly as long as we pay the tab, I don't think anyone will give a crap what some dudes sitting around drinking beer are talking about. Most people are pretty oblivious to what goes on around them anyway. And I like trying to get those who aren't yet into guns into it, but maybe the first meeting should just be us so we can get to know each other. Of course the meet would be a great time to discuss getting more people involved.

And this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway. Everyone who comes should be 100% compliant with the law. There is, of course, no legal carry here currently, so no one should be carrying. You know who watches this forum, so we don't want to give them any "ammunition" to fight us with should they decide to harass us (I doubt they will though).

I'm in providing my work schedule doesn't change.

Also, while I'm not opposed to having M&Gs in the burbs, I think it is very important for the overall cause to have some in Chicago. I grew up in the city, and as a child had absolutely no exposure to firearms, except that only bad people and police have them. Luckily, I grew up and was taught to form my own opinions.

The problem with both of those is they are a bit problematic to get to than a nice location off of one of the major CTA rail routes.

This is also not about beer, but building community and working on bringing those who are on the edge and curious into the community. This is why we need a easy to access location.

As a possible future meeting site, I would also suggest Goose Island near North & Clybourn. It's near the Red Line, and there's a parking lot and parking in the area in general, and highway access is near. Also, Logan Square has good highway access, parking, bars/restaurants (e.g. Revolution), and the Blue Line stop at California. Billy Goat's is good for loop workers, but 6pm for people who work further out may be difficult. I used to organize regular meetings for a group when I chaired it and we rotated locations to spread out the pain factor...

I'm in providing my work schedule doesn't change.

Also, while I'm not opposed to having M&Gs in the burbs, I think it is very important for the overall cause to have some in Chicago. I grew up in the city, and as a child had absolutely no exposure to firearms, except that only bad people and police have them. Luckily, I grew up and was taught to form my own opinions.

I 100% agree

As a possible future meeting site, I would also suggest Goose Island near North & Clybourn. It's near the Red Line, and there's a parking lot and parking in the area in general, and highway access is near. Also, Logan Square has good highway access, parking, bars/restaurants (e.g. Revolution), and the Blue Line stop at California. Billy Goat's is good for loop workers, but 6pm for people who work further out may be difficult. I used to organize regular meetings for a group when I chaired it and we rotated locations to spread out the pain factor...

Rotating it is a good idea.

I will no longer even consider attending or sharing infio. You can thank

Jason4567 for his nice P Ms.

I don't understand why you are upset about this Chicago meetup. If you care to discuss it, please feel free to PM me.

Archived