IL Student Safety and Protection Resolution

Molly B.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., March 6, 2018 at 04:59 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., March 6, 2018 at 04:59 AM - No reason given

Just signed up for this through the Illinois State Rifle Association:

Homeland Security Active Shooter Course

4/8/2018 - 8:00am- 5:00pm- Range Classroom

This class is to learn what to do if you are out and encounter an active shooter event.

Class is limited to 60 students.

Instructor: Jeff Gregorec

Open to the public $50.00 members $100.00 Non Members

Contact ISRA Office: 815-635-3198 M-W-F or ann@isra.org

Is there any more detail on this class? Is it just lecture or will there be shooting? The IRSA website says it requires a FOID, so I assume there is shooting but no real idea.

I would like some more details as well. FEMA (Dept of Homeland Security) certifies Active Shooter course participants. Is this a FEMA certified course or something the instructor made up? What are the instructor`s qualifications and is this the same guy?

From Stars and Stripes Aug 2007:

"A Marine accused of selling military uniforms and equipment to a military surplus retailer was acquitted Thursday on all but three charges.

Military judge Maj. Charles Hale found Staff Sgt. Jeffery Gregorec not guilty of charges relating to an alleged black-market scheme, the heart of the government’s case against him.

Gregorec was found guilty of willful dereliction of duty and conduct unbecoming. In addition, Gregorec pleaded guilty to one charge of disobeying a lawful order.

In court, Hale found that Gregorec, 38, of the III Marine Expeditionary Force’s Special Operations Training Group, brought a group of Japanese nationals onto Camp Hansen and let them fire M-4 rifles on Range 16. The judge also found that the staff sergeant showed a photograph of male genitalia to a female worker at the surplus store."

I had the same questions but I was not gonna bring that up but since that's out there...

Anyone got any answers?

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., March 6, 2018 at 04:59 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., March 6, 2018 at 04:59 AM - No reason given

Now I have concerns. I signed up for the class. Does anyone plan on calling or should I

Since you offered, would you mind calling and posting back up here?

I sent an email to the address on the PDF form with the following questions:

• Are there any training prerequisites for the course?
  • Is there a course syllabus that I can preview?
  • What are the material requirements for the course?

Between the previously asked questions, and if you could get answers to mine I think they would go a long way to deciding if this course provides the value we would like it to provide.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I went to our school board meeting tonight. The board members were given the resolution ahead of time. I gave a short 15 minute presentation. I hit on some of the talking points that are attached to the original post.

I did not get into the whole gun control debate. My main focus was reinforcing the issue that the resolution returned control of the students safety back to the school districts.

Overall it went very well. Surprisingly there were no questions. I did speak to a few of the board members after the meeting was adjourned. Everything was positive and the impression that I was given is that this resolution will pass at their next meeting.

Considering my personal relationship with some of the board members I believe it will pass unanimously. I will let you guys know what happens next month.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update: I talked with the school board president last week. He is postponing the vote on this resolution until the May meeting.

Since this proposal hit the local newspaper some of our teachers have gotten their panties in a wad. There's a meeting scheduled with the teachers and staff to explain what the resolution is.

I have also seen articles in our paper which has led me to believe that there are a couple of neighboring school districts also discussing this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Mercer County School Board passes the resolution! PLEASE take the poll!!

http://wqad.com/2018/05/17/mercer-county-school-board-passes-resolution-to-support-armed-teachers/

ALEDO, ILLINOIS-- On Wednesday night during a school board meeting, Mercer county board members passed a resolution to support legislation that would allow school staff to concealed carry. The resolution passed with a vote 4 -1.

President of the School Board Julie Wagner says the concern for student safety grows with the trend of school shootings. "The main point of the resolution is to allow a local school district to decide for themselves," said Wagner.

If resolved the Illinois Association of School Boards will support and advocate for legislation which provides local school boards the option of developing Student Safety and Protection plans.Those plans may include school administrators who have completed a school district-approved training course, concealed carrying training, pass multiple background checks, and require concealed carry license.

Wagner says the resolution would help tackle problems rural school districts face.

"The more rural your school district is the further away your building could possibly be from law enforcement," said Wagner.

Mercer County is made up of 5 school buildings in 3 towns. When it comes to square miles, the county is the 5th largest in the district based on area. Wagner said the district has only one School Resource Officer on site at the high school. One elementary school is in a town with one officer, would take 20 minutes for a response time from the sheriff's office.

Wagner stresses the resolution is about local control and districts should control what is best for their schools.

The next step is for the Illinois Association of School Boards to decide whether or not to adopt the resolution.

I think active shooter response training is a good idea, but it has to be well thought out.

For example, where I work, we have active shooter response drills which consist of everyone piling into storage closets and hiding. We also have the "no guns" sign on our front doors, so everyone is disarmed.

That's a good example of how to do it WRONG.

An effective shooter response drill will need to be more effective and not corral everyone into a room like lambs to a slaughter. Unfortunately, ineffective plans are what most HR departments come up with. They really need a professional to come on site and do an assessment.

Clinger, for some time I have been asking people if they remember the line about something is as "easy as shooting fish in a barrel", then reminding them how GFZs are the "barrel" and their kids are the "fish". Then I ask them if they still believe their kids are "safe" in the "barrel".

Some have turned pale. :devil:

• 4 weeks later...

Any police chief or sheriff can deputize teachers with CCLs today. They can start carrying tomorrow.

Can't just deputize, they'd have to take the LE certification classes before being able to carry as LE officers. That was passed years ago to stop the practice of selling deputy cards.

I always wondered what would happen if challenged. A peace officer is exempt by statute. You can be a peace officer by appointment or election. If you donât have the âmandatedâ training, you are still exempt by statute.

We can thank the Cook county patronage posse for confusing additional laws on this subject. Remember the scandal in the seventies? I believe it was sheriff Elrod that gave away badges for political contributions and patronage.

Finally, I just got home from our school board meeting. The student Safety and Protection resolution passed unanimously.

The biggest hold up was the conversation about arming teachers. It was repeatedly explained that this resolution did not allow teachers to be armed instantly.

If you present this resolution to your school district expect people to focus on guns and arming teachers. Glad it's done.

KING

Finally, I just got home from our school board meeting. The student Safety and Protection resolution passed unanimously.

The biggest hold up was the conversation about arming teachers. It was repeatedly explained that this resolution did not allow teachers to be armed instantly.

If you present this resolution to your school district expect people to focus on guns and arming teachers. Glad it's done.

KING

This is FANTASTIC! Please follow up with them as the deadline to submit is June 20th, one week away. They will probably need to email their resolution because snail mail is going to take too long. There is a submission form they will need to fill out and send in with a signed copy of the resolution.

I can email that to you, if you need it.

KING

This is FANTASTIC! Please follow up with them as the deadline to submit is June 20th, one week away. They will probably need to email their resolution because snail mail is going to take too long. There is a submission form they will need to fill out and send in with a signed copy of the resolution.

I can email that to you, if you need it.

I will call the school board president tomorrow and find out if he is aware of the deadline. I will ask him about the submission form also as one of our board members is an IASB delegate.

• 1 month later...

I am very excited to report the Illinois Association of School Boards Resolutions Committee voted Friday night to recommend “Do Adopt” the resolution. It will go to their full Delegate Assembly in November with a positive recommendation.

I would like to thank IllinoisCarry members who presented the resolution to their school boards. This a great step forward in the effort to protect our schools. I know all the schools that I and Mr. B presented the resolution to are very excited about this.

Archived