Has Anyone Ever Had A Student Fail The ILCC Class?

Talonap

My wife failed to qual with her Kahr 9mm. She was jerking the trigger. The RSO watched and knew what she was doing wrong. She was not and is not familiar enough with it. That's partly my fault but she doesn't shoot enough. They dug out a 22 and absolutely nailed it. She has not carried out in public since she got her card, she knows she not ready.

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming. So far, it seems the problems people have had have all been with the shooting portion. Anyone have trouble with the written test?

written test?

The first day of my training was NRA Basic Pistol, which involves a written test.

yes, but it's for the instructor's information only (to see if material was covered properly). There is no pass/fail.

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming. So far, it seems the problems people have had have all been with the shooting portion. Anyone have trouble with the written test?

written test?

The first day of my training was NRA Basic Pistol, which involves a written test.

yes, but it's for the instructor's information only (to see if material was covered properly). There is no pass/fail.

Correct. It is a learning tool to reinforce important points (hence, many points are on the test twice, in both T/F and multiple choice formats). The only fail would be an inability to follow the safety rules.

I had a student fail the shooting portion while firing a small Keltec pistol with a score of only 17 hits visible on the target.

I informed him of the score and the requirements. He asked if he had to take the class over again. I informed him that he could shoot again with his firearm, or I could supply him with a larger pistol with a more full size grip and larger sights.

He shot again with a full size handgun and scored a 27.

I also used this as a teaching moment that shows how small some sights are on smaller handguns and what a difference the sights and grip size can make.

That is why my recommended carry guns are not the smallest, but a little larger with full size sights for easier target acquisition.

Some of the smaller carry guns have minimal sights if they have sights at all and are useless at all but contact distances.IMHO

Practice with your carry gun and ammunition at varying distances and even from unusual angles, like laying on your side or on your back as if you have been knocked down, and with one hand as if you have been attacked and one arm is injured or holding someone or something away from the attacker.

But, by all means PRACTICE.

We had a REALLY great Korean War Veteran that took advantage of being exempt from Day 1. On Day 2 we went through the law, drawing from the holster, and the range qualification. During the range qualification he failed to safely operate his firearm. There was no way I could sign off on his certification. He was absolutely a danger to himself and the public. He knew how to shoot well enough to both pass and to defend himself, but without safe handling, I couldn't sign off. I talked to him about it, and he understood. He agreed to come back and take Day 1 (no extra charge...just his time). After going through the safety portion, he was able to prove that he understood the 4 rules, and could safely handle his firearm. THEN we were able to pass him.

Other than that, we had one pregnant woman we wouldn't allow on the range without sign off from a physician (and she'll come back to qualify sometime soon), and we had another woman who didn't tell us she'd never been on a range before...or shot a gun. She not only did great in dry-fire, but was also great during the live fire portion (2 inch group at 5 yards....great for a beginner, and good enough for defensive shooting). However, when the guy next to her started shooting a .357, she became rattled...didn't want to complete the shooting portion, and left. We spoke to her afterwards, but she didn't want to try again.

Overall, we've been fortunate to have very competent and sensible students. Even the gentleman that we failed, thanked us for not just rubber stamping his certificate, and appreciated the opportunity to learn safe handling skills as well as the 4 rules we all live by.

- chip

Interesting thread. I'm concerned about instructors helping people pass the shooting qualification especially with a different firearm than the student owns. On the other hand, I think that people are entitled to 2A rights without any class prerequisite at all. Conflicted. Maybe I'm just see how the sausage is being made :)

Sometimes students show up with a gun that they just can't handle so getting something more suited to them in their hands helps them out. Of course no one can force them off to the local gun shop after class to trade in that ilsuited gun for one that suits them better but most people seem to get it.

Sometimes it is just easier to get something with less recoil in their hands so you can work with them on the shooting fundementals to get them back on track and they just need to practice the fundementals with their firearm a little more.

I had a student fail the shooting portion while firing a small Keltec pistol with a score of only 17 hits visible on the target.

I informed him of the score and the requirements. He asked if he had to take the class over again. I informed him that he could shoot again with his firearm, or I could supply him with a larger pistol with a more full size grip and larger sights.

He shot again with a full size handgun and scored a 27.

I also used this as a teaching moment that shows how small some sights are on smaller handguns and what a difference the sights and grip size can make.

That is why my recommended carry guns are not the smallest, but a little larger with full size sights for easier target acquisition.

Some of the smaller carry guns have minimal sights if they have sights at all and are useless at all but contact distances.IMHO

Practice with your carry gun and ammunition at varying distances and even from unusual angles, like laying on your side or on your back as if you have been knocked down, and with one hand as if you have been attacked and one arm is injured or holding someone or something away from the attacker.

But, by all means PRACTICE.

This is exactly why I bought my smaller carry piece. Sig P290 with full size night sights. That short barrel needs good sights to be accurate. This is also why I passed up any of the other fixed sight pistols. Black finish, black sights, couldn't do it.

Sometimes students show up with a gun that they just can't handle so getting something more suited to them in their hands helps them out. Of course no one can force them off to the local gun shop after class to trade in that ilsuited gun for one that suits them better but most people seem to get it.

Sometimes it is just easier to get something with less recoil in their hands so you can work with them on the shooting fundementals to get them back on track and they just need to practice the fundementals with their firearm a little more.

Understood. The instructors provided students a great service allowing them to demonstrate use of a better suited weapon. Yes, hopefully the students appreciate it and purchase the preferred weapon. After all, these people are entitled to 2A rights without any class prerequisite at all. Thanks

When we have a student that has a problem with a firearm, if it is an equipment problem, or the firearm is just not suited to them, or they have not purchased one yet is when we loan them one to try out. I have let several students try different types of handguns, from small to larger grips sizes and revolver as well as semi-auto.

I have had 14 instances of unsafe handguns when we give them a safety check before allowing them on the line. Every where from safeties that fail to operate, to parts that are missing or fell off the handgun and revolvers with defective trigger mechanisms or failing to lock up the action in use. Several handguns that we found problems with were brand new name brand firearms, that the students sent back to the factory for warranty repairs.

By allowing them to try different handguns at no cost to them, we are letting them see what firearm is best suited to them, and hopefully they take the experience and buy a firearm they are more comfortable and proficient with.

4 for safety violations, 2 for attitude, 1 for creeping me the @$&_ out with hypothetical questions that had me a shade off from recommending a three day evaluation.

Rocco

How did you deal with the creepy guy. did you tell him you failed because you are a creep?

Wasn't he the little short guy elected Mayor of Chicago a few years back?

I told him that after two subtle warnings and one direct correction, that I had no choice but to remove him from the group. He said I was only kidding. I told his questions and comments had become borderline psychotic and were disrupting the class, and that frankly, I did not care if he was kidding or not at this point....he was walking back into the room to collect his belongings and he was gone. This was not a place for games. He became agitated and demanded a refund. I reiterated that he was instructed at the start of the workshop that questions that "creep me the #### out" would not be tolerated.......and I ENCOURAGE LEGAL HYPOTHETICALS ON THE LEGAL USE OF FORCE!

I insist they ask questions.

This person was broken.

He was not being funny.

He was not just inconsiderate, rude, unsafe, or disruptive.

There was something wrong.

He left.

Every fibre of my being was screaming that that jackass was looking to kill someone.

I have been training for a long time.....and I have seen a lot that has angered me, disgusted me, exasperated me....

This was different.

I love what I do, but that day was a challenge.

Rocco

Archived