2 days after I received my CCL I received a new FOID only good for 4 months?

ILcitizen

will someone help me understand what is going on here? The FOID ISSUE date is 07/23/2020 Expires 12-2-2020. With all the people waiting for a new card, why take the time to issue me a 4 month FOID, only to make me start the process all over again?? I don't recall my original FOID Expiration Date but I think it was the end of 2020 ish. why would they print me a FOID and not update the expiration? because they need me to pay a fee? Here I thought it was a nice gesture to get me a new FOID due to all the hassle and delay I experienced with the CCL ..NOPE.

I posted a few times earlier this summer and the admins were extremely helpful. As it turns out I received a letter with my new CCL claiming they could not verify or match my prints or the code, so basically it as treated like a no prints application. I'm suspicious because its just too convenient for the state to justify more time by just blaming the finger print guy, who does this for a living and wont get customers anymore if he can't keeps his process compliant.

Anyway, can anyone offer guidance before I just blindly apply for a new FOID card? Any pitfalls I should be aware of or should I just fill out the form and wait. Thanks!

They issued a new FOID so that the number matches your CCL. The time for the FOID is not extended,but expires on the original date that the old one did. This is standard operating procedure for the People's Republic of Illinois. You will need to apply for a new FOID and can do so 90 days before the expiration date. Be patient. The state has extended the expiration dates so you will not expire any time soon. I would apply as soon as you are able. I am almost 90 days out on my renewal, and from what I hear it is taking like 140 days now.

Lawman covered it. The older FOIDs get reissued on CCL renewals so that the new number with extra digits match.

As for the Fingerprint TCN, there have been more than a few posts where the fingerprint vendor submitted wrong code, TCN, etc. Applicants contact them, they usually know what happened, resubmit/correct and things move on.

Take a deep breath and it will be fine. First off you got your CCL so that's the great news, yes?

The timing of your CCL was one of those fluke things in the universe.

Had you saw that your FOID was about to expire you could have done both at the same time, boom bang done.

But I'm going to guess that you only paid for a CCL and that's what you got a bright new shiny CCL card. They started matching the CCL and FOID numbers back in mid '15

Sure this was to better keep records and such but it wasn't a big deal at the time. Most everyone who applied for a CL would get a card and always with the original dates of expire on it!

The good news for you is a simple one to do and should go like this.

Jump on the ISP portal and new the FOID. Why some will ask as the extension is available to us Because it is taking months to get cards back and as there is an extension in place it DOES NOT preclude you from renewing the FOID now!

Remember you didn't PAY for a renewed FOID, just for a CCL, and like always, it's Illinois and they will get their pound of flesh when ever and where ever they can!

And no, it doesn't make sense to have them catch this and make it right at the ISP level. It's not in the pay grade to catch and fix things like this. Hard at work as they are they can't make any assumptions for anyone.

Through out this site is many threads talking about getting the new look FOID and the numbers matching, grab a cold beer and browse a bit, it's fun stuff in here too!

Congrats and the new CCL and Welcome to the Forums

For general information:

Current FAQ on the ISP website indicates that if your FOID expired after March 9, 2020, it remains valid whether or not you have applied for renewal. I think that I would still apply before the expiration date on the card.

Next month they could change the policy.

"What is the impact of the state's disaster declaration on my FOID expiration date?
Firearms Owners Identification (FOID) card holders and Concealed Carry License (CCL) holders, who submit their renewal application will remain valid during the duration of the state's disaster proclamation and for a period of 18 months (previously 12 months) following the termination of the disaster, even if their renewal application is/was not submitted prior to expiration.
If your FOID expiration date was after March 9, 2020, your FOID card will remain valid throughout the duration of the state's disaster proclamation and for a period of 18 months (previously 12 months) following the termination of the disaster even if a renewal application is/was not submitted prior to expiration".

Still a damn retarded policy to be wasting the resources to issue a new card that has a life of less than 1 year. In these types of situations where they are giving a frigging renewal for a CCW card for Pete's sake, they should just charge the extra $10 and renew the FOID too. My card expired in less than 3 months!!! Stupid.

As all online vendors they can not just Willy Nilly charge more then what a customer has authorized.

Imagine the outcry of how dare you. Riots, looting, burning, torn down statutes.........

Ok, this all makes perfect sense and I thank you all for the clarification. I recall now being hesitant to do both at the same time as the FOID expiration seemed so far away and I didn't want to add unnecessary complication. So my fault for not looking at the dates more carefully and my fault for not being more thoughtful in my application. The state sent me notification for which I am very thankful. This site is such a helpful resource. thank you.

Hi I've got a question related to this and figured I'd ask in here as opposed to making another thread.

My FOID expired 11-01-2020, I applied for the CCL 08-16-2020 and applied for the FOID renewal on 08-19-2020.

Will My CCL get processed first due to the order of applications and having a FOID already, then the renewal will get processed? Based on this thread, it sounds like I'll have the CCL with an expired FOID issued and updated numbers, then the FOID will get processed. Am I mistaken?

Hi I've got a question related to this and figured I'd ask in here as opposed to making another thread.

My FOID expired 11-01-2020, I applied for the CCL 08-16-2020 and applied for the FOID renewal on 08-19-2020.

Will My CCL get processed first due to the order of applications and having a FOID already, then the renewal will get processed? Based on this thread, it sounds like I'll have the CCL with an expired FOID issued and updated numbers, then the FOID will get processed. Am I mistaken?

with both being 3 days apart you will more than likely get both processed together.

shouldn't be any delays other than the already 6 to 9 month wait.

doing both together is the recommended way if at al possible

Archived