States Where Illinois Carry Licensees May Carry

Molly B.

Who did you contact in MN? I'd much like to see MN on the list, too.

This matter is handled by Minnesota's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), headed by Superintendent Wade Setter. In July I wrote to Supt. Setter, asking him about "plans to allow carry in Minnesota under this [illinois concealed carry] license." The response, provided by SSA Joshua Florell of the BCA, stated:

At this time the State of Minnesota does not have reciprocity with the State of Illinois. Reciprocity agreements are reviewed by the MN Dept. of Public Safety annually in June.

Note that I didn't ask about reciprocity, just MN recognition of the FCCL for carry in Minnesota, just one-way recognition. In any case they're done thinking about this until next year.

Who did you contact in MN? I'd much like to see MN on the list, too.

I contacted someone in the firearms section at BCA by email via a referral from their public information office. I did get a reply that they were reviewing their information but then never heard any more, and no reply to follow up email.

I did inquire as to whether they did actual reciprocity agreements, as it appears they don't despite occasional mention of agreements. If they did actually do agreements they'd have Ohio and New Mexico, which right now is one-way only. If they had OH and NM reciprocity I'd just get an MN permit to cover those three states that I need.

Edited by Gamma

So if Utah is on the list then why are all these instructors advertising the Utah carry as being included in the IL carry course?

Jon Moloney

www.saferstatefirearms.com

Are they teaching the UTCCW as a part of the first 8 hours?

As a add on.

Basically the UT class is 4 hours and 2 hours of that is covered in the IL class. The remaining two hours mostly is the law which of course is different in UT. Additionally UT requires each student to receive a 52 page booklet either on a CD, flash drive or paper before leaving the class.

Most instructors charge a nominal fee for the additional two hours. We change $50.00.

• 2 months later...

Would be nice if Congress would pass a Law like our Driver license were if your state had CCW you could carry in any stated

Such a law did pass Congress but got stuck in Senate. Now that we have a Republican senate it may get through there only to die in the White House, I bet it gets added to some funding bill that is more important than this and gets signed into law in the next two years.

At least we can all hope :-)

I was in a meeting with a bunch of Missouri concealed carry license holders.

They were commenting how they all carry in Illinois now as if IL is a fully reciprocal state. No FOIDS. Just their MO. CC License.

They can carry in the car, but not outside of the car. They get the same car exemption that we get, even when in gfz parking lots. In fact, out of state CCW permit holders were the first to be allowed to carry in Illinois (in their car) because they had their permit in hand while we waited to see if we would be lawn darted. Unfortunately, they cannot carry outside of the car at this time.

They were commenting how they all carry in Illinois now as if IL is a fully reciprocal state. No FOIDS. Just their MO. CC License.

e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her car......

What in the world would give them that idea?

I would suggest you advise them of the law, lest they find themselves charged with a class 4 felony.

What in the world would give them that idea?

You think Shaneen Allen is the only one that doesn't know that carry isn't interstate? Lots of people like her.

FOID is irrelevant for any non-IL resident.

As mentioned, non residents can carry in their vehicles.

You think Shaneen Allen is the only one that doesn't know that carry isn't interstate? Lots of people like her.

No, I realize a lot of people don't track the laws as closely as we do and are unaware of the restrictions.

PA doesn't have a training requirement, and I can understand why Shaneen applied "common sense wisdom" and believed she could carry in PRNJ.

Missouri, on the other hand, does require training. I don't know if discussion of reciprocity is a requirement of the course, but personally I believe instructors should make it a habit to emphasize the need to research reciprocity and carry laws in another state before traveling there.

Edited by kwc

No, I realize a lot of people don't track the laws as closely as we do and are unaware of the restrictions.

PA doesn't have a training requirement, and I can understand why Shaneen applied "common sense wisdom" and believed she could carry in PRNJ.

Missouri, on the other hand, does require training. I don't know if discussion of reciprocity is a requirement of the course, but personally I believe instructors should make it a habit to emphasize the need to research reciprocity and carry laws in another state before traveling there.

I took an MO class (just because), and overheard some conversations at the range qual (typical gunshop BS) about all the "facts" that people "had heard" or were told by their friend the cop etc that were being passed around like a hot insider stock tip. That the information directly contradicted what had just been presented in the class the day before somehow became that the class was out of date. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups. Mandated training isn't a panacea either.

The pro-2A crowd is not immune from the "low information" bug that plagues many in our voting population. The passage of initiative 594 in Washington state last week provided a perfect example of this.

If nothing else, this goes to show that "keeping it simple" is the best approach when writing legislation. Most people have no desire to break the law, let alone commit something as serious as a felony. But many are put into that position inadvertently due to poorly written legislation or laws that are designed to deliberately trip them up by making it nearly impossible to comply.

Whether we get there through legal challenges or legislation, we really need to somehow attain widespread reciprocity.

Would be nice if Congress would pass a Law like our Driver license were if your state had CCW you could carry in any stated

Such a law did pass Congress but got stuck in Senate. Now that we have a Republican senate it may get through there only to die in the White House, I bet it gets added to some funding bill that is more important than this and gets signed into law in the next two years.

That one expired when the 112th session of congress expired. New version for the 113rd congress has not yet passed the house... and is stuck in committee.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/2959

Edited by RoadyRunner

That one expired when the 112th session of congress expired. New version for the 113rd congress has not yet passed the house... and is stuck in committee.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/2959

Since the balance of power in the Senate doesn't change until Jan 3, this one will likely go nowhere.

And doesn't 2959 expire this year? I think the 114th will need to start from scratch.

• 3 weeks later...

It's my understanding Illinois CCL holders can carry concealed in Wisconsin. Any words of wisdom regarding carrying in Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Zero problems. I've been carry in the Milwaukee area for several years before under the authority of my PA LTC. Just watch out for the official WI signs. I only saw one while I was there and that was at an indoor mall.

Start at page 31 http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/default/files/dles/ccw/ccw-faq.pdf

Edited by Nic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any hopes for new states this next legislative session?

Ohio will start recognizing Illinois on March 23.

I haven't heard of any other states revising their recognition statutes, but it is possible--especially for those attempting to institute "no license required" concealed carry.

Illinois should meet requirements for both Texas and Minnesota. I'm not sure what the problem is or if they just overlooked Illinois in both of those states, Texas for sure. Virginia also recognizes a few states unilaterally so in theory could add IL also. New Mexico could in theory, but as of a few years ago the person in charge of recognition in their state police really constricted their recognition, and they now really only recognize those states they have formal agreements with. Other than those it will take legislative changes, either in the other states, or in IL. The other states that are left are states that either require formal agreements, or at least reciprocity. A few states might find something very nitpicky in IL requirements to deny reciprocity or recognition.

Edited by Gamma

• 1 month later...

I am surprised TX doesn't recognize the IL licence. I was looking in to what it took to carry in MD. They, like IL, do not recognize any license other than their own. I looked up what states they can carry in and was surprised to see they get TX and we don't. If I am reading this right TX doesn't require reciprocity:

The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state that provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun under which a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state or shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state if the attorney general of the State of Texas determines that a background check of each applicant for a license issued by that state is initiated by state or local authorities or an agent of the state or local authorities before the license is issued. For purposes of this subsection, "background check" means a search of the National Crime Information Center database and the Interstate Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

I would assume that IL does a FBI background check as well as scouring the records of all the PDs in the state.

Anyone know of a particular reason TX recognizes MD but not IL?