Tribune Article In CCL Shootings

Lou

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-concealed-carry-murder-charge-20190909-6w7dzya7dfet5cxoosxr4zctmy-story.html

Front page on todays Chicago Tribune. Kind of one sided except they did interview Valinda Rowe.

See link for entire story.

Whos watching? More people licensed to carry guns in Illinois are using them, but oversight is still lacking

By ANNIE SWEENEY and KATHERINE ROSENBERG-DOUGLAS

CHICAGO TRIBUNE |

SEP 09, 2019

They were friends and family from the old neighborhood gathered to celebrate the passing of one of their own.

An argument broke out. Police say a woman chased down her boyfriend and fired a small pink gun, missing him but hitting another man talking on the corner. The errant bullet killed Andrew Owens, an aspiring model who loved his family, traveling and dancing and could devour plates of food without gaining a pound.

(Snip)

A Tribune investigation into CCL shootings in 2018 showed that the Illinois State Police, the agency responsible for issuing firearm owner identification cards and concealed carry licenses, did not keep track of shootings by people licensed to carry guns.

Little has changed. The state police still dont keep records on when license holders fire their weapons, how often they do it, or if they wound or kill someone.

"We need to hold people accountable if they are unlawfully or unsafely using firearms, Crifasi said. If we dont, they will continue to behave in an unlawful and unsafe manner.

The Tribune claims to have documented 62 shootings over 6 years from the 306,000 licensed CCL holders.

They fail to point out is .02% of license holders and 99.08% did not fire their weapons.

Actually, that's 99.98%.

The Dove Bar is 99.44% pure and Illinois CCL shooters easily beat that number.

“It seems that there is this new social norm that if I have a firearm, I am authorized to pull this gun out and use it — even if I am not in danger,“ said Cassandra Crifasi, deputy director at the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

Oh what a pile of horse dung

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-concealed-carry-murder-charge-20190909-6w7dzya7dfet5cxoosxr4zctmy-story.html

Front page on todays Chicago Tribune. Kind of one sided except they did interview Valinda Rowe.

See link for entire story.

Whos watching? More people licensed to carry guns in Illinois are using them, but oversight is still lacking

By ANNIE SWEENEY and KATHERINE ROSENBERG-DOUGLAS

CHICAGO TRIBUNE |

SEP 09, 2019

They were friends and family from the old neighborhood gathered to celebrate the passing of one of their own.

An argument broke out. Police say a woman chased down her boyfriend and fired a small pink gun, missing him but hitting another man talking on the corner. The errant bullet killed Andrew Owens, an aspiring model who loved his family, traveling and dancing and could devour plates of food without gaining a pound.

(Snip)

A Tribune investigation into CCL shootings in 2018 showed that the Illinois State Police, the agency responsible for issuing firearm owner identification cards and concealed carry licenses, did not keep track of shootings by people licensed to carry guns.

Little has changed. The state police still dont keep records on when license holders fire their weapons, how often they do it, or if they wound or kill someone.

"We need to hold people accountable if they are unlawfully or unsafely using firearms, Crifasi said. If we dont, they will continue to behave in an unlawful and unsafe manner.

From the same article:

Houpe was charged with first-degree murder.

So... what else should be done to hold the woman that the article talks about accountable beyond charging her with one of the most serious crimes in our criminal justice system?

This article is complete garbage.

— Last month, a 75-year-old homeowner in Lake County fired into a group of teens, after one of them allegedly moved toward him with an object in his hand. The homeowner shot a 14-year-old boy in the head, killing him. The man said he was just trying to scare them away. A knife was found at the scene.

The item "allegedly" in the kid's (read: member of a marauding hoard of gangbangers carjacking their way through the rural areas north of the city) was a large Bowie knife recovered at the scene. No one in their right mind is trying to say that shooting was not justified.

— At least two CCL holders have been shot and killed in Chicago over the last year after they pulled their guns to protect themselves.

Wait...now we're blaming the victims for not successfully defending themselves???

This article uses a typical tactic of the Left, trying to blur the line between two separate groups or issues and treating them as identical. Shootings are discussed, with little or no differential between legally justified self defense shootings and criminal attacks. Its trying to make the argument that all shootings are bad and legal concealed carry just adds to the number of shootings. This is just the same way the Left tries to blur the difference between legal and illegal immigration. By making both to be the same, I.e., immigration, they get to portray opponents of illegal immigration as anti-immigrant. Typical Leftist deception.

In a city that calls a press conference to tout the lower number of shooting over any weekend and it starts out:

6 killed 42 shot

And they boast about it being lower than last year

So its acceptable and makes them happy that ONLY 48 total were shot?

And now its the Wild Wild West with these CCL holders running n gunning with no accountability!

Back in the day (long ago) Id say to dad that I saw a neighbor do this or that.

Dad would say, Ive seen you do it too, so worry about what you do and not what everyone else does.

Kind of different, but it would seem that these reporters (loosely used term) would be able to put out something about the criminals who are doing the killing in Chicago and call it for what it is!

After taking the time to browse over to the full article, Im not surprised about who shot whom and why.........

And exactly how does the Libune track and get THEIR data base info?

Like the one about the guy who had another double up his fists and start swinging at him.

In my condition and age, I may have done the same thing....shoot

But all this is just my opinion

The Tribune claims to have documented 62 shootings over 6 years from the 306,000 licensed CCL holders.

They fail to point out is .02% of license holders and 99.08% did not fire their weapons.

Actually, that's 99.98%.

The Dove Bar is 99.44% pure and Illinois CCL shooters easily beat that number.

I stand corrected.

In my defense I am a product of the Chicago Public School system.

It seems that there is this new social norm that if I have a firearm, I am authorized to pull this gun out and use it even if I am not in danger, said Cassandra Crifasi, deputy director at the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

via Wikipedia...think they have an agenda or at least a bias?

The Center for Gun Policy and Research is a research center at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health dedicated to researching ways to reduce gun violence in the United States.

The Center for Gun Policy and Research receives and/or has received funding from, among other sources...Bloomberg Philanthropies...

Bloomberg Philanthropies encompasses all of the charitable giving for founder Michael R. Bloomberg

Kristen Rand, the legislative director for the Violence Policy Center a Washington D.C.-based group in favor of gun control said she expects these kinds of bad shootings will increase in Illinois as time passes, based on what has happened in other states.

"In Illinois now that youve had (concealed carry) a few years, she said, "it is similar to what you saw in Florida. The really bad things started happening after the law had been in place several years

..and the VPC...founded by Josh Sugarmann.

“It seems that there is this new social norm that if I have a firearm, I am authorized to pull this gun out and use it — even if I am not in danger,“ said Cassandra Crifasi, deputy director at the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

She is lumping gangbangers with CCL holders which statistics show are more law abiding than the police. Propaganda by the Tribune in collaboration with Bloomberg funded Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

an interesting note is that the online edition had statistics from the Tribune database that were (conveniently) omitted from the print edition.

Of the 62 instances were the CCL holder fired only 12 were charged with a crime. So 12 out of 306,000 is really .0039% or 99.9961% law abiding.

Wouldn't this be the State Attorney's job and not the State Police?

"We need to hold people accountable if they are unlawfully or unsafely using firearms," Crifasi said. "If we don't, they will continue to behave in an unlawful and unsafe manner."

It's nobody's job to provide "oversight" of CCL holders, specifically. It's already the job of the police to investigate shootings, no matter who the shooter is.

The thing that she fails to point out is that 62 is a fair-to-middlin' weekend for the gangbangers downtown. According to HeyJackass, Chicago proper's already topped that in 9 days.

And yet, somehow, concealed carriers are the problem.

Bri

Of the 62 shootings in more than 5 years:

- 5 were clearly criminal acts including premeditated murder

- 8 were rage, poor judgement and stupidity related

- 1 was a negligent discharge while cleaning a gun at home

- the other 48 were instances of self defense as intended by law

They're focusing on a big nothing, in an attempt to demonize lawful gun owners. It's part of the Bloomberg Anti-gun, Anti-self defense agenda.

I wonder why they don't run a front page story about every single weekend in Chicago, where more people are shot than in the entire time concealed carry has been legal in the state.

Archived