Fingerprints

MJB

Hello all. My membership just got validated and this is my first post here. I have a PERC card (non-firearm) that I was required to get fingerprinted for. I've also been fingerprinted to get DHS approval to work as a contractor on a GSA project. Will I have to be fingerprinted again for IL CCW? Thanks, Mike

Your not "required" to. It just gives the ISP an extra 30 days to issue the permit. I am in the same boat with you though, I have been printed several times, including twice for my SF-86 investigation. (they lost the first application). So really getting printed again is no big deal, I just have an issue with the fact that my fingerprint technician can't do it since he's not a LEO.

Section 30. Contents of license application

(8)
a full set of
fingerprints submitted
to the Department in
electronic format
provided the Department may accept an application submitted without a set of fingerprints in which case the Department shall be granted

30 days in addition to the 90 days provided under

subsection (e) of Section 10 of this Act to issue or deny a

(8)
a full set of
fingerprints submitted
to the Department in
electronic format
provided the Department may accept an application submitted without a set of fingerprints in which case the Department shall be granted

I think electronic format is a key phrase. If it's like other states.......not following instructions closely will lead to lots of delays. People may want to begin researching locations, because they aren't everywhere. Also, the fee's use to be anywhere from $15 to $30.

Mike,

Welcome to Illinois Carry.

There are a lot of knowledgeable, dedicated people here.

Welcome, Mike!

There are a LOT of knowledgeable, dedicated people here. LOU is pretty close to the top of that list.

I have lost count of the times I have been fingerprinted. There are a few times I have fingerprinted myself because I was more experienced than the LEO taking my prints. It's not a big deal. I would gladly pay a few extra dollars to a contractor to expedite my CCL application in Springfield.

-- Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a list I bookmarked of PDs that have Livescan capabilities.

http://www2.illinois.gov/prb/Documents/lsagencies11.08.10.pdf

Note: I don't know which, if any of these offer the service to the public.

Does anyone know of a place in Madison/Jersey/Macoupin County area that does eletronic fingerprinting?

The St. Claire County Jail does it for free. Metro Shooting Range sends students in their CCW class there as the owner is an ex LEO with ties to the officers and it is free.

Anyone want to comment on the use of the word "may" instead of the word "shall" ?

(8) a full set of fingerprints submitted to the Department in electronic format
provided the Department
may
accept an application submitted without a set of fingerprints
in which case the Department shall be granted

I take it to mean they will accept applications without prints, but they can kick back an application if they cannot confirm the applicant passes background check on name and DOB alone.

So, John Smith should probably just do prints. Someone with a more unique name though can probably pass on prints.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone want to comment on the use of the word "may" instead of the word "shall" ?

(8) a full set of fingerprints submitted to the Department in electronic format
provided the Department
may
accept an application submitted without a set of fingerprints
in which case the Department shall be granted

Are we pole-vaulting again?

(8) a full set of fingerprints submitted to the Department in electronic format, provided the Department may accept an application submitted without a set of fingerprints in which case the Department shall be granted

That language is permissive, not discretionary.

That is, it allows the ISP to accept applications with or without fingerprints. It doesn't give it the discretion to accept or reject applications based on the presence or absence of prints.

Archived