Modular holster systems

jlbaugh72

Anyone have thoughts on the AlienGear Shapeshift system? Im kind of tempted by what Ive read online.

I have the Alien Gear Modular and have mixed feelings on the system. I agree that there are lots of small parts and I also tend to primarily carry one way.

I love their modular IWB, I find it very comfortable to wear all day. I have tried switching it out to the OWB, but find it sits too far from my body. I don’t carry OWB often, but I generally use a simple kydex holster.

Also the IWB uses half the shell, and pretty much everything else uses the full shell. Going from full shell carry style to another full shell carry style would be great. However having to keep track of the other half of the shell when I am carrying IWB, is a bit of a PITA. For example going from OWB to a mounted car holster is as easy as unhooking the belt mount from the shell, then just snapping the shell onto the car mount. The gun would never have to come out of the holster.

The IWB holster is half a shell, so you have to pull the gun, remove the half shell from the IWB mount, attach the second half of the shell, put the gun back in and attach the mount. Not horrible, but nowhere near as convenient.

I also really like their ankle holster, but I found it easier to buy a second shell so as not to have to convert it when I want to switch holsters. So I have 2 complete modular set ups, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the modular.

I find these comfortable enough that I don’t mind paying the extra dollars for them. They have a new belly band coming out that looks interesting. I only carry Glocks, so that isn’t an issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived