Photo

Mitch McConnell Ignores Reciprocity

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 chicagoresident

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

Trump and the rest of the Republicans in our national government have gun owners, in no small part, to thank for their electoral victories. It's time they start doing us homage if they want to win again.

It seems like both the NRA and many Republican politicians are always using fear (both real and perceived) when not in a position to make a change. Then when they are in a position to make a change they turn their backs and ask for more money. Not only are they not working to get things passed they aren't doing anything to strengthen the framework to keep what we have now. And they haven't undone the import ban executive action, which is just a legal stroke of the pen by Trump.

Why isn't the NRA making more noise about Share, National Reciprocity and the import ban EO? What happened to "cold dead hands" and "not one inch"? What happened to the NRA that called the ATF "jack booted thugs" and pushed against George Bush so hard he tore up his membership card.

I bring the NRA into this because they are really the only voice that reminds these Rhino's why they're in office.

Now it's "well we're against machine guns and we'll let the ATF determine what a bump stock is for the umpteenth time". Like the ATF is some benevolent friend of guns.

Edited by chicagoresident, 26 January 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#32 vito

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe that a significant number of votes for Trump came from people like myself that felt he was sort of a buffoon, and somewhat of an embarrassment to the country with his juvenile behavior, BUT he supported an agenda that we believe in, including vigorous support of the 2nd Amendment. While other 2nd Amendment issues could have risen to the top of the pile, it is the National Reciprocity law that has come to symbolize what Trump supporters want from the Republicans during this era when both houses of congress, and the White House are in Republican hands. Many of us are willing to accept some delay in getting this done, and that certain national issues like a new tax law and border security/immigration must be faced before the issue of concealed carry reciprocity (which after all only affects at most 16 million citizens out of about 320 million). But should Trump fail to accomplish national reciprocity during his first term, I predict that a number of his supporters will sit out the next Presidential election, or even support someone else in the primary, rather than re-elect Trump. I cannot ever imagine myself voting for a Leftist, which means I could never vote Democrat, but I could decide to just ignore politics and not vote at all, which in fact might ensure a Democrat wins the White House. But I might at that point (I will be 77 by then) decide I just don't give a damn if the Republicans fail to come through on this key (to me) issue. The Republicans are taking a big risk if they think they can take us for granted forever without delivering. 

Retired U.S. Army and Veteran of the Vietnam conflict

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#33 soundguy

• 5,105 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

...I predict that a number of his supporters will sit out the next Presidential election, or even support someone else in the primary, rather than re-elect Trump.

Perhaps the entire GOP should believe they are all subject to this.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#34 seanc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe that a significant number of votes for Trump came from people like myself that felt he was sort of a buffoon, and somewhat of an embarrassment to the country with his juvenile behavior, BUT he supported an agenda that we believe in, including vigorous support of the 2nd Amendment. While other 2nd Amendment issues could have risen to the top of the pile, it is the National Reciprocity law that has come to symbolize what Trump supporters want from the Republicans during this era when both houses of congress, and the White House are in Republican hands. Many of us are willing to accept some delay in getting this done, and that certain national issues like a new tax law and border security/immigration must be faced before the issue of concealed carry reciprocity (which after all only affects at most 16 million citizens out of about 320 million). But should Trump fail to accomplish national reciprocity during his first term, I predict that a number of his supporters will sit out the next Presidential election, or even support someone else in the primary, rather than re-elect Trump. I cannot ever imagine myself voting for a Leftist, which means I could never vote Democrat, but I could decide to just ignore politics and not vote at all, which in fact might ensure a Democrat wins the White House. But I might at that point (I will be 77 by then) decide I just don't give a damn if the Republicans fail to come through on this key (to me) issue. The Republicans are taking a big risk if they think they can take us for granted forever without delivering. 

Once again, Vito has said exactly what I would have (except I'm not that old :)).

I bring the NRA into this because they are really the only voice that reminds these Rhino's why they're in office. 

I don't mean to put down the NRA, but I support the Gun Owners of America (GOA).  The GOA seem to be a better match for me and they seem to be more aggressive and successful in their lawsuits (when the NRA often shows up late and takes the credit for).  The NRA has the numbers and that gets respect in congress, but I hope more people will join the GOA, where I think there is a clearer vision of our rights.

"Senator if we figure out a way to make criminals obey the law, then you'll be my first call"

#35 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 7,842 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:35 AM

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but a republican sitting out the vote for president in Illinois means nothing.
The electoral vote/winner takes all system saw to that.

Supporting someone else in the primary matters though. That's how we tell the republican party what we want to see more of or less of in this state.

I voted Trump this time, but have previously used the national elections to vote 3rd party to help build traction for change and move our debates from black/white to black/white/grey. Given the way the democratic party was taken over by extremeists there's room for libertarians to adopt refugees.

I meantioned that I felt national reciprocity was a nonstarter back when it first came up. Color me not surprised that this got shelved in the Senate. We'll get there through the courts some day.

#36 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

Just an observation that the "nuclear option" is also known as the "Constitutional option".

It's funny how much different that sounds.

The "nuclear option" gives us tyranny of the majority.  It got us TyranniCare, gun restriction after gun restriction, and tons of leftist garbage as policy and law. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#37 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe that a significant number of votes for Trump came from people like myself that felt he was sort of a buffoon, and somewhat of an embarrassment to the country with his juvenile behavior, BUT he supported an agenda that we believe in, including vigorous support of the 2nd Amendment. 

Agree!  He kept "them" (read: her) out, and saved the SCOTUS -- these were sufficient at the time.

But now I too grow tired of inaction.  Drain the swap, make America Great again. 

#38 soundguy

• 5,105 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Just an observation that the "nuclear option" is also known as the "Constitutional option".

It's funny how much different that sounds.

The "nuclear option" gives us tyranny of the majority.  It got us TyranniCare, gun restriction after gun restriction, and tons of leftist garbage as policy and law. 

I have read it has been used only twice...

This procedure effectively allows the Senate to decide any issue by simple majority vote, regardless of existing procedural rules such as Rule XXII which requires the consent of 60 senators (out of 100) to end a filibuster for legislation, and 67 for amending a Senate rule. The term "nuclear option" is an analogy to nuclear weapons being the most extreme option in warfare.

The nuclear option has only been used in practice twice. In November 2013, Senate Democrats used the nuclear option to eliminate the 60-vote rule on executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments other than those to the Supreme Court. In April 2017, Senate Republicans used the nuclear option to eliminate the exception for Supreme Court nominees, after the nomination of Neil Gorsuch failed to meet the requirement of 60 votes for ending the debate.[1][2]

As of January 2018, a three-fifths majority vote is still required to end debates on legislation.

#39 chislinger

• Members
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

...but only because it took advantage of the Senate’s budget reconciliation mechanism, which required only a simple majority if the cost was less than $1.5T.

Which, incidentally, is why they had to make the tax cuts expire, to avoid exceeding the $1.5 trillion threshold. But despite the DNC talking points the tax cutes will be extended indefinitely or permanently when the time comes.
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#40 Hipshot Percussion

• 2,611 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

...but only because it took advantage of the Senate’s budget reconciliation mechanism, which required only a simple majority if the cost was less than $1.5T.

Which, incidentally, is why they had to make the tax cuts expire, to avoid exceeding the $1.5 trillion threshold. But despite the DNC talking points the tax cutes will be extended indefinitely or permanently when the time comes.

I just figured the cuts expiration dates were set up so that they could be used as election talking points.  The first ones expire in 5 years - just after the 2022 elections and the full expiration in 7 years - just after elections in 2024. If you figure the Republicans hold the Presidency in 2020, the first cuts would come in the 2022 mid terms... the Dems would either have to get on board or stand in front of their constituents and say they wanted higher taxes.  Same thing in 2024 Presidential elections.  

Or, maybe not. :)

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#41 Illini_Guns

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

The really bad thing is that both of our Senators are Chicago Democrats and no way in heck would they vote for any thing we would want. It is very plain that Tammy hate Trump and would do any thing in her power to go against him or the GOP.. this is why we need an northern Illinois state and a southern Illinois so the people that live south of I 80 has a say in what the country does. When you look at the vote by county both are elected by Cook county when you get over 900,000 vote more there its hard to over come 

#42 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

The NRA just sent a legislative update and reciprocity was the title.  They said ignore what the media is saying and they are pushing very hard in the senate.

https://www.nraila.o...loser-than-ever

What the Media Doesn’t Want You to Know: Enactment of National Reciprocity is Closer than Ever!

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2018

Anybody who is exposed to the so-called news media these days faces a barrage of bewildering and often outlandish claims. “Breaking news” cycles through the public eye with such frequency and speed that knowing what’s important, much less what’s true, is becoming increasingly difficult. That’s why it’s more critical than ever to stay focused and resolute when it comes to your Second Amendment rights. Because the media wants you – and your elected representatives– to forget why you elected this pro-gun Congress. And for gun owners, there no more important political objective than enacting a national reciprocity law.

Rest assured, your NRA has not forgotten. While the media maelstrom flits from one (usually fabricated or embellished) crisis to the next, we have remained calmly focused on the job our members depend on us to do: protecting and advancing the right to keep and bear arms. Our number one agenda item on Capitol Hill remains passage of national reciprocity.  

The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act has already passed the House with a bipartisan majority. Your NRA is now laying the groundwork for success in the Senate. We’re ensuring every Senate office knows where we stand on this landmark legislation for gun owners. We’re dispelling misinformation and providing the facts that support the necessity of the bill. We’re telling the stories of decent, upstanding Americans’ whose lives were turned upside by the status quo, which empowers anti-gun states to trample on the rights of good people so anti-gun politicians and bureaucrats can advance their own ambitions.

But the fact is, we cannot do it alone. The strength of the NRA has always resided in its members and their unwavering commitment to American liberty. Despite what the media wants you to believe, we are on track to make historic gains for your right to defend yourself, wherever your travels in the U.S. may take you.

We cannot do it alone, however.

Please contact your U.S. Senators and urge them to cosponsor and support passage of national reciprocity legislation. You can call your U.S. Senators via the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, or click here to take action.

#43 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,216 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

I don't want to wait either but MAY at the NRA convention this will be resolved! 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#44 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,835 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

The really bad thing is that both of our Senators are Chicago Democrats and no way in heck would they vote for any thing we would want. It is very plain that Tammy hate Trump and would do any thing in her power to go against him or the GOP.. this is why we need an northern Illinois state and a southern Illinois so the people that live south of I 80 has a say in what the country does. When you look at the vote by county both are elected by Cook county when you get over 900,000 vote more there its hard to over come 

Hey, don't leave us out that live West or North of Chicago.  Basically there should be "Chicago" and the "rest of Illinois".  That is the only way to have fair representation.  But it would never happen.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#45 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

I don't see this going anywhere soon.  The R's don't have the stones for a fight.  You can bet if the R's brought this up for a vote it would be the center point of almost every D's campaign the next 2 election cycles.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#46 soundguy

• 5,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'd think the GOP could frame universal reciprocity as a "common sense gun law".

What makes more sense than not having to worry about where you are as you travel the nation?

#47 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,216 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

I don't see this going anywhere soon.  The R's don't have the stones for a fight.  You can bet if the R's brought this up for a vote it would be the center point of almost every D's campaign the next 2 election cycles.

I doubt he will miss the NRA show and my money's on Donald, actually.... 

Attached Thumbnails

• dollar.png

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#48 Quiet Observer

• 1,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

The NRA just sent a legislative update and reciprocity was the title.  They said ignore what the media is saying and they are pushing very hard in the senate.​  

Nice idea.  Since we have Durbin and Duckworth as Senators, standing naked on a grave at midnight and swinging dead cat over your head would be more effective.  

Edited by Quiet Observer, 07 February 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#49 soundguy

• 5,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Hmmm... Perhaps they'll tie it to DACA or the budget deal?

#50 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hmmm... Perhaps they'll tie it to DACA or the budget deal?

It's more likely to be the other way around.  The Dems will let it pass if we add DACA and AWB, mag caps and any other pet issue they want to the bill.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#51 Hipshot Percussion

• 2,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

CBS 60 Minutes - Sunday 2/11

Recognizing Concealed Carry Permits Across State Lines

The House has passed a bill that would allow Americans licensed to carry concealed firearms in their own states to bring those weapons legally into other states. The president also supports the bill, called the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Steve Kroft takes a look at the pros and cons of the controversial bill that the U.S. Senate could make law. His report will be broadcast on the next edition of 60 Minutes, Sunday, Feb. 11 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT.   

More at the link above

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#52 gangrel

• 3,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

The House has passed a bill that would allow Americans licensed to carry concealed firearms in their own states to bring those weapons legally into other states. The president also supports the bill, called the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Steve Kroft takes a look at the pros and cons of the controversial bill that the U.S. Senate could make law. His report will be broadcast on the next edition of 60 Minutes, Sunday, Feb. 11 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT.   

More at the link above

I'm sure they will be totally fair and balanced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#53 soundguy

• 5,105 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

More at the link above

I'm sure they will be totally fair and balanced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Shame on you... That's FOX!

Times have changed. This edition of 60 Minutes will probably be worth watching.

#54 chislinger

• Members
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

Shame on you... That's FOX!
Times have changed. This edition of 60 Minutes will probably be worth watching.

I'll be shocked if they don't breathlessly speculate about CCL holders coming into NYC and shooting minorities left and right because that's what gun owning hicks do in their fevered imaginations. Odds approach 100% they mention Trayvon Martin and even interview his parents complete with the picture of 12 year old Trayvon.

Edited by chislinger, 09 February 2018 - 04:44 PM.

"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users