City, state prime targets in gun rights lawsuits

Indigo

I opened my Chicago Tribune this morning to hunt for any possible coverage of IGOLD, and this article was staring me in the face from the front page, complete with a photo of Michael Moore at the range. Finding the article online was a challenge, however. I finally found it by searching for the author's name. The website has the story and a video interview with Michael Moore.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-gun-lawsuits-20120308,0,7831041.story

I was truly astonished by the placement and the tone of the article. Who would have thought that a Chicago Tribune article on this topic would be on the front page, and would have a reasoned, neutral tone supported by factual reporting? Dahleen Glanton has written an article that is reminiscent of the newspapers of 40 years ago, when newspapers were worth reading for something other than the sale ads and the movie listings.

This Tribune article was about stun guns but it had this line in it:

The vote took place as more than 1,000 gun rights activists marched on the Capitol to push for legislation to allow Illinois residents to carry concealed weapons and to protest Mayor Rahm Emanuel's proposal to register handguns.

More than 1000? I'd say so.

Trib link

" The gun lobby and gun criminals have filed over 400 challenges to gun laws " , said Daniel Vice.....

I don't like Mr. Vice referring to us as the "gun criminals"!

In a thread a few weeks ago, it was mentioned that the media really uses words and semantics to help shape the debate. This is one of those instances.

Now where is the lawsuit challenging the Chicago PERMIT, REGISTRATION, and FEE!?

I believe you are referring to the Ezell vs Chicago lawsuit which Ms. Ezell won in the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and which has been handed back to the federal court in Chicago, giving them another chance to get it right before they really put the hurt on the city!

Molly,

It was my understanding that Ezell vs. was just about opening a range, not having anything to do with permits, registration, and fees for mere ownership. In essence, to be able to better comply with Chicago's regulations, rather than to challenge them on the whole. Even Benson vs. only picks and chooses and does not cover it in total. I know some of the Maryland language is promising and could potentially be used in a future suit.

That's because these cases are filed as building blocks and used to set precedent. An all out challenge to the

"permits, registration, and fees" would be much more difficult to win. But challenged in bits and pieces and

stacked together, they change the whole landscape. In the amended complaint I can see challenges to

different aspects of the Chicago ordinances.

25. Chi. Mun. Code § 8-20-110 prohibits the possession of a firearm without a CFP, including the possession

of firearms by shooting range patrons other than a one-time, one-hour exemption for taking a class. These

provisions bar individuals from (1) practicing with or sampling different firearms, (2) practicing the use of

firearms without purchasing and registering a firearm, (3) purchasing ammunition for self-defense, and (4)

replacing older ammunition, by firing it at the range and then departing with fresh replacements.

43. But for the criminal enactments and burdensome requirements and restrictions contained in the Ordinances

challenged in this complaint, Plaintiffs Ezell, Brown and Hespen would frequent a Chicago gun range for

recreational shooting, and to maintain and improve their proficiency with firearms.

Actually, I picked up that issue last night (at 1:00 a.m. after a very frustrating transport of a supposedly "combative" patient, so maybe I was a little loopy) and I saw it as very positive coverage. They quoted Brady Campaign and the Corporation Counsel, sure, but what did those guys manage to say? The conflation of gun rights activists and "gun criminals" feels like a low blow to us, but it's factual. We know it's one of our weaknesses that we have to deal with the fact that any punk who wants to fight a gun charge can and will bring a stupid challenge to the same laws we're trying to challenge with sympathetic, eloquent people like Rhonda Ezell and Michael Moore and Mary Shepard. It's the nature of the beast, nothing we can do about it, but it would be unrealistic to expect them not to point it out (what else have they got to say?)

The reporter could have left the quote out, I guess, but it's a strong quote and there couldn't have been many from that side of the aisle--and the reporter probably didn't make it up or prompt the Brady guy to say it, so why blame her?

I was very impressed with Mr. Moore's eloquence and with the quote from Valinda that they used to conclude the article:

Gov. Pat Quinn, who says allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons would put law enforcement officials in harm's way, has vowed to veto any such measure.

But Valinda Rowe, spokeswoman for IllinoisCarry.com, which has held forums across the state to drum up support for concealed carry legislation, said gun advocates will continue their focus on Illinois.

"This is something that needs to be fought on three different fronts — the judicial front, the legislative front and the electoral front," said Rowe. "If we can't work with legislators to get them to change their stance, maybe their constituents can elect someone else."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived