Another thing you could try is using the pick n pluck, and then spraying it with Plasti Dip to firm it up.
If you do go with cutting, I highly recommend the Kaizen foam. I got a 2'x4' section for about $30, enough to experiment with cutting, shaping, etc.
I did the pluck/plasti-dip thing. Used a whole can, didn't firm up enough for me. Still better than nothing.
Did you use multiple sheets of Kaizen foam in your case to adjust the depth?
Did you use a pattern or make a pattern of some sort?
I'd really be interested in some more pics of your foam, outside of the case itself.
Before I started the project, I created a blueprint for the pattern using the custom foam design tool on Case Club's website. I measured the original foam and entered the dimensions under the "choose your case" tab. They have their cases, Pelican, Seahorse, and Plasticase cases programmed in, but mine obviously wasn't any of those which is why I entered my own dimension. I used that to lay out what the form would be using the shape tool. Honestly, laying out the blueprint took longer than the rest of the project because I was redoing how they were arranged, tweaking locations, calculating the space between the slots for the handguns, etc.. I attached a screenshot of it below.
I did use multiple sheets of Kaizen. I ordered the 57 mm (2 1/8 inch) foam in a 2'x4' sheet. I traced around the original foam to get the base pattern for what went into the case, and got the two sheets I used. They were a little too tall for the interior, so on the bottom sheet I shaved a few layers off to drop it a bit.
Once I got that where I wanted it, I measured out and drew the pattern. Using a long bladed box cutter I cut the basic form (the large grip area and the handgun slots) into the top layer. I'd recommend using something with a stronger blade, as the blade had a tendency to bend and make the cuts not as straight. Made me regret selling my Ontario 498 knife because it probably would have been perfect, but it is what it is. I actually had to completely redo this once, cutting a whole knew top layer and redrawing the pattern, etc.
Once I got that where I was happy with it, I put it in the case with the bottom layer and cut the outlines in the bottom layer for where the barrels would go in the barrel slots and eyeballed the grip slots. After I did that, I took the top layer back out and set the box cutter blade at about one inch depth and cut the slots for the barrel and grip in the bottom layer. After you cut the shape, you just dig the foam out with your finger, comes out pretty easily. If you're really careful, you can take the top layer of what you pull out and glue it back down at the bottom of the cutout to make it look nicer, I didn't bother doing that though.
After that, I got all the handguns I was planning to use and put them in, tweaking the length of the grip slots and barrel slots as needed. Once I was satisfied, I glued the top and bottom layers together using foam glue.
Any more specific questions, feel free to ask. I tried to cover the whole process as well as I could. As far as pictures, there really wouldn't be much to see since they're glued together now, but if there was something specific I could do try to get a pic for you.
Edited by BigBL87, 09 September 2017 - 10:50 PM.