http://grizzlyguncare.com/

https://www.shooterlube.com/

https://www.breakthroughclean.com/

#2 Glock23

I am no one.

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

I use Froglube exclusively on all my guns. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#3 3ddiver

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

None of those but I do use Froglube on pretty much everything. 

#4 smallo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

I was going to include Froglube found some complaints about the substance becoming sticky after some time. You don't have that experience?

#5 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

I use FrogLube on all my pistols and have no issues. 

I use Ballistol on my rifles and have had no issues.

I would recommend either one of them. Although Froglube smells better.

#6 InterestedBystander

• 3,305 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

I seem to recall another post discussing cleaners/lubricants that were not foul smelling and didnt stink up the room. It must be archived, but I cant find it at the moment using search.

edit

not all about non toxic, but folks discussing favorite clean and lube products

http://illinoiscarry...ic=46443&page=1

Edited by InterestedBystander, 07 August 2017 - 04:09 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#7 Not me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

Ballistol is great, but smells a little strange.

#8 Windermere

Bacon Junkie

• 1,205 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Ballistol here. Smells like puke though. My wife knows when I'm cleaning my guns.
"Always remember, your ability to shoot and have a firearm makes it so that you are not subjected to the whims of other people without your permission. So, in other words, if you don't want to get raped, robbed, pillaged, or plundered... get a gun."
-Clint Smith

#9 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

CLP is not toxic isn't it ? That's what I use on most of my firearms.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#10 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,022 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

As far as cleaners go, I really like Mpro7.  It doesn't have an odor at all and works fairly well.  

For my pistol barrels, I use both Mpro7 and a foaming bore cleaner.  I start with the foam and finish up with the Mpro7.  

ETA:  the foam doesn't have a smell either.  

Edited by DD123, 07 August 2017 - 04:45 PM.

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#11 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

Ballistol here. Smells like puke though. My wife knows when I'm cleaning my guns.

one more for Ballistol but i kinda like the way it smells  

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#12 quackersmacker

• 1,381 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

I kinda like the smell, too.  It's non-toxic, and you can even use it on wounds.  And it's also good on leather.  Heck, it's good on everything!

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#13 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

I kinda like the smell, too.  It's non-toxic, and you can even use it on wounds.  And it's also good on leather.  Heck, it's good on everything!

Even french fries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#14 mikew

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

for oil, I like FP10.  The smell is recognizable, to me it is not offensive.  I cannot speak to its toxicity.

#15 3ddiver

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

I was going to include Froglube found some complaints about the substance becoming sticky after some time. You don't have that experience?

I have not had that problem. I use the liquid not the paste. It also does not play well with petroleum products so I wonder if that is the sticky problem they are experiencing. The gun has to be clean of oil before using it.

#16 djmarkla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

I have not had that problem. I use the liquid not the paste. It also does not play well with petroleum products so I wonder if that is the sticky problem they are experiencing. The gun has to be clean of oil before using it.
This

#17 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

This

Yes, this.

I use gun scrubber to completely strip down a new gun of any oil based lubes.

Then I use the paste to treat the "oil free" gun after heating all the metal bits with a blow dryer or a few minutes in a hot oven. Let it cool, wipe away any excess then repeat.

After that, it only takes a few drops of the liquid to clean and lube after each range outing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#18 JDW

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

I've got some Rand CLP inbound. It will be my first ever try in the non toxic route. 

For now though, I love Hoppe's 9, Breakfree CLP, and for oil, I love G-96 synthetic. I use WalMart high temp wheel bearing grease on my modern sporting rifles. 

Tried Ballistol, loved the results, but the stench reminds me of passing by a huge pig farm on a hot summer day with the wind heading right at me. Can't take the stench. :)

I've heard good things about the Breakthrough products. I chose the Rand, because I've read a lot of good stuff about it too. 

JDW

NRA LIFE MEMBER 

Member of an awesome sportsman club

Pro2A forever

#Respect Military and LEO thank you for your service

#19 patriot1776

• Members
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:58 AM

725 gun cleaner followed by their Slip 2000 EWL oil used for years on all weapons , best I have found .  If you need it , they also have a copper cleaner . When I get a new gun , first thing I do is get some Slip 2000 EWL into it , just a little , it goes a long way . 

#20 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

I do not understand the comments. Gun oil does not stink. Neither does burnt gun powder(includes black powder).
It all smells like freedom -wonderful.

#21 r29795

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

i love the frog lube works real well 

#22 Draal

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

I use Grizzly on my guns, ar pistols and semi auto shotgun.  I have asthma and I find Grizzly a pleasure to work with.  Super slick and has not caused any issues for me performance wise or health wise.  I love this stuff!

#23 JDW

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

I do not understand the comments. Gun oil does not stink. Neither does burnt gun powder(includes black powder).

:) I've heard that they actually sell a Hoppe's #9 car deodorizer, that's craziness.   #Freedom can be purchased right here

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B01AYEJK1Q

JDW

NRA LIFE MEMBER 

Member of an awesome sportsman club

Pro2A forever

#Respect Military and LEO thank you for your service

#24 smallo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

I use Grizzly on my guns, ar pistols and semi auto shotgun.  I have asthma and I find Grizzly a pleasure to work with.  Super slick and has not caused any issues for me performance wise or health wise.  I love this stuff!

Next time you clean pistol with Grizzly can you record video and post? I ask because unlike the products in my original post I couldn't find videos of Grizzly being used.

#25 smallo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

I've got some Rand CLP inbound. It will be my first ever try in the non toxic route. 

For now though, I love Hoppe's 9, Breakfree CLP, and for oil, I love G-96 synthetic. I use WalMart high temp wheel bearing grease on my modern sporting rifles. 

Tried Ballistol, loved the results, but the stench reminds me of passing by a huge pig farm on a hot summer day with the wind heading right at me. Can't take the stench. :)

I've heard good things about the Breakthrough products. I chose the Rand, because I've read a lot of good stuff about it too. 

After you receive and use Rand CLP please post feedback especially if your results are similar to video below.

Edited by smallo, 08 August 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#26 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

After you receive and use Rand CLP please post feedback especially if your results are similar to video below.

Rand is essentially Safflower oil, which you can get at most grocery stores. They talk about nano-blahblah which is mostly just describing how vegetable oils behave at a molecular level.

To get to the heart of the matter, most all of these new-tech "non toxic" lubricant products are some type or combination of vegetable oils. There are certain positives and negatives to them. Vegetable oils tend to work well at cleaning up carbon and in high volume shooting that is not lubrication-intensive. What I mean by that is that vegetable oils are not as effective at lubrication. The plus side is that modern firearms, especially handguns, are generally not that critical on the technical performance of lubricants. They also are not usually very good at corrosion protection.

The downside is that vegetable oils do tend to break down, go rancid etc. The high volume shooting guys (like in the video above) never see that because they are shooting and cleaning constantly. However, if you clean and lube your nightstand pistol, and it sits there almost untouched for several months, you might end up with some issues.

For most handgun applications I use synthetic grease-type lubricants. I use non-toxic food grade rated products, I usually use Superlube grease. There is another similar product who's name escapes me right now which is an NGLI Type 0 grease which has lower viscosity than the Type 2 Superlube. TW-25b is also popular. FWIW I have chemical sensitivities and cannot use most firearms lubricants, but those cause me no issues.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#27 b52

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

I use weapon shield oil and grease on the slide of my kahrs. Check out the Internet tests against other lubes.

#28 smallo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Rand is essentially Safflower oil, which you can get at most grocery stores. They talk about nano-blahblah which is mostly just describing how vegetable oils behave at a molecular level.

To get to the heart of the matter, most all of these new-tech "non toxic" lubricant products are some type or combination of vegetable oils. There are certain positives and negatives to them. Vegetable oils tend to work well at cleaning up carbon and in high volume shooting that is not lubrication-intensive. What I mean by that is that vegetable oils are not as effective at lubrication. The plus side is that modern firearms, especially handguns, are generally not that critical on the technical performance of lubricants. They also are not usually very good at corrosion protection.

The downside is that vegetable oils do tend to break down, go rancid etc. The high volume shooting guys (like in the video above) never see that because they are shooting and cleaning constantly. However, if you clean and lube your nightstand pistol, and it sits there almost untouched for several months, you might end up with some issues.

For most handgun applications I use synthetic grease-type lubricants. I use non-toxic food grade rated products, I usually use Superlube grease. There is another similar product who's name escapes me right now which is an NGLI Type 0 grease which has lower viscosity than the Type 2 Superlube. TW-25b is also popular. FWIW I have chemical sensitivities and cannot use most firearms lubricants, but those cause me no issues.

Hmm....what if I shoot and clean only 3-4 times a year and spend rest of the time dry-firing?

#29 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

I use whale oil on my antiques it clearly wins the nastiest smell test.... 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#30 lockman

• 7,563 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

As far as CLP, I am sure most of the products can clean similar to the video. You can probably get many black patches without any cleaning product. I soak it down with Balistol and let it set for 20-30 minutes and a quick few brushes down the barrel and a Nylon brush the rest. Then wipe it down and a few micro drops in a few places and I'm done. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users