Photo

What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#31 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Right...

Like a determined rapist or killer isn't going to just use a sharpened butter knife or a sharpened screwdriver or some cheap kitchen knife, no, they'll use the $420.00 "auto" knife instead because those are so much more dangerous.

That's woman's brain doesn't work right...

Machine (D)himmocrat... did it ever?
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#32 Jam77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

What's strange is I was looking at a couple online vendors and can't seem to find any shipping restrictions. Maybe I'm just missing it . Never mind I found the restrictions

Edited by Jam77, 19 May 2017 - 06:51 PM.

#33 HeavyDuty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Color me interested, but to be honest I'm not sure I'll risk carrying a pricey automatic every day - simply because losing it would be financially painful. My little Kershaw Chive assisted opening liner lock does what I need for a everyday blade.

#34 mikew

• Members
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

I might hypothetically have a Tijuana Toothpick from a day trip walk from San Isidro in the 90's.

I think it would have been from Toledo.  (if it existed)

#35 VannDaddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

Wondering how many months it will take to convince vendors to ship to the state because the He** froze over and a law allowing it was passed.

Because they're not "evil guns" most sellers don't care if they're legal to carry because they're probably legal to own. It's up to the purchaser to determine laws in their state of residence.

#36 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'm eyeing up this one. Never owned the brand, so I might move up in $$$ to a Benchmade.

https://www.bladehq....x.php?view=cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 WitchDoctor

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

I'll be getting some flavor of Microtech.  

Maybe also a Benchmade.  

Who knows.  Thankfully after it's signed it takes 60 days before it takes effect because I just spent a whole lot of money on a new gun lol.  

DD123, be sure to check the Benchmade Infidel. It is an out the front opener with enough force to tear clothing. You can get a plain edge or serrated. Carried one throughout the M.E. Never failed me with proper cleaning and sharpening.  Do shop around as prices vary.

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#38 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

Way back when we were 12 and under, I saw more switchblades than I've seen the rest of my life That must have been around the time they were outlawed. Funny thing is, I never remembered switchblades just jumping up on their own to start stabbing everyone, but suddenly they were all gone anyway. What a strange time that was.

Have all boated who fish?

#39 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Way back when we were 12 and under, I saw more switchblades than I've seen the rest of my life
That must have been around the time they were outlawed. Funny thing is, I never remembered switchblades just jumping up on their own to start stabbing everyone, but suddenly they were all gone anyway. What a strange time that was.

Yet auto knives are openly displayed and sold at gun shows now, even with LE standing next to table. A long time ago you had to go ask the right dealer that had the special case under the table not on display.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#40 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 7,780 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Maybe also a Benchmade.  

Who knows.  Thankfully after it's signed it takes 60 days before it takes effect because I just spent a whole lot of money on a new gun lol.  

DD123, be sure to check the Benchmade Infidel. It is an out the front opener with enough force to tear clothing. You can get a plain edge or serrated. Carried one throughout the M.E. Never failed me with proper cleaning and sharpening.  Do shop around as prices vary.

Thanks!  I'll take a look at that one.  I'm torn between BM and Microtech.  Might get one of each lol.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#41 DG53

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Probably the cheap Boker Plus Strike Auto that I might already own
To truly say 'Never Again' requires having the means to back up that statement.

#42 Black Flag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

Way back when we were 12 and under, I saw more switchblades than I've seen the rest of my life That must have been around the time they were outlawed. Funny thing is, I never remembered switchblades just jumping up on their own to start stabbing everyone, but suddenly they were all gone anyway. What a strange time that was.

I've seen some that I wouldn't trust in my pocket regardless of whether it had a safety or not.

Like a lorcin, but a knife.

Posted Image

#43 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

68yPYn.gif

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#44 kemikos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

Maybe also a Benchmade.  

Is that accurate? I thought the wording of the bill was "Effective Immediately"...

Ultratech D/E for me, Had my eye on one for a couple of years, just waiting for a cold spell down below so that I could get it without becoming a felon...

#45 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

Maybe also a Benchmade.  

Is that accurate? I thought the wording of the bill was "Effective Immediately"...

Ultratech D/E for me, Had my eye on one for a couple of years, just waiting for a cold spell down below so that I could get it without becoming a felon...
Effective immediately...as soon as it becomes law. That happens on governor signing or after 60 days once received with no guv action

Edited by InterestedBystander, 19 May 2017 - 10:53 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#46 rebel49

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

Raven Crest Tactical OTF.   look it up and watch the videos. Impressive 

#47 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

In House floor debate it was mentioned 2 manufacturers in IL, one in Chicago and one in the Representatives district. Do we know what their names are?

Edited by InterestedBystander, 20 May 2017 - 08:40 AM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#48 oohrah

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

I carry a Boker Kalshnikov. Unfortunately, I have to leave it at home when I visit my daughter in Skokie (as well as my Lasermax).

Does IL prohibit AO knives (assisted opening) even if they're under the length limit?
USMC, Retired
Waco, Texas
Texas LTC
Illinois CCL
SASS 105352

#49 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

I'm eyeing up this one. Never owned the brand, so I might move up in $$$ to a Benchmade.

https://www.bladehq....x.php?view=cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's the switch on that thing? And who's Ken Onion? :ermm:

#50 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 7,780 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

Maybe also a Benchmade.  

Effective immediately...as soon as it becomes law. That happens on governor signing or after 60 days once received with no guv action

Oh wow, for whatever reason I thought it took effect 60 days after he signs it.  I'd better start deciding what I want now lol

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#51 blck10th

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

Subscribing so I can spend more $ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#52 NakPPI

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Leaning towards a Kershaw launch. Although the HK mini can be found cheap right now because it's discontinued. It'll be a game day decision. Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#53 kemikos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

I carry a Boker Kalshnikov. Unfortunately, I have to leave it at home when I visit my daughter in Skokie (as well as my Lasermax).
Does IL prohibit AO knives (assisted opening) even if they're under the length limit?

No, AO's are fine (and have been all along) as long as the knife is otherwise legal.

D2 is tool steel. It's heavy and a royal b to sharpen.

That's because it's harder and tougher than any stainless alloy. It does take more time and work to sharpen; however, it will take a finer edge than stainless, and that edge will last a lot longer before it needs sharpening again.

Whether it's a noticeable difference for an average person is debatable, but it does have benefits.

Edited by kemikos, 20 May 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#54 kemikos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Raven Crest Tactical OTF.   look it up and watch the videos. Impressive

I'd never heard of them before; I just spent 20 minutes poking around their site, and I must say I'm impressed. I especially like that (unlike other OTF manufacturers), they recommend, and instruct owners in, disassembly and maintenance.

The one thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger (as it were) is that they don't offer any blades in decent steels. I can't imagine ever paying over $50 for any knife in 440 stainless; it's about the cheapest steel you can make a knife from, and though it'll take a usable edge, it won't hold that edge at all.

As a comparison, the Ultratech I've been looking at costs about the same as their OTF, has a solid reputation for quality, and comes with a blade made from Elmax, which is one of the top two knife steels on the market currently.

I may send them an email and ask if they'd offer a blade option in a better steel...

#55 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

If you click the military/police or whatever checkbox on checkout most everyone will just ship them. 

If you just looking for something to open a box with when you only have one hand free the S&W for $29.95 is just fine. 

They don't make "true" stilettos anymore (that I've seen), true meaning you can put it tight against something and it'll go in or push you hand away. The old style used to do that and typically the back end had a removable s cap you put on the blade and you had to push it against a wall/concrete to store the blade back away.   Not this click click in out stuff. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Life Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#56 tommyd78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

I may have to get two. A short one for restricted areas and the a longer one for the freer parts of the state

So how short are you talking for restricted areas? 3 inches? The ones I am look at OTF are around 3.3 3.5 inches. The restrictions I see are no more than 3 inches.

Edited by tommyd78, 20 May 2017 - 01:40 PM.

#57 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Chicago is 2.5".

#58 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have a pair of CutCo Kitchen shears that are super useful.   I found myself doing more and more stuff with the shears.

I've heard people on knife forums say that there aren't any auto-OTF knives under $100.00 worth having, that they just won't hold up...  but I can't plunk down $400 for an OTF auto-knife when I still don't have a 9mm carbine yet..

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#59 billzfx4

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

I "have a friend" who has a Kershaw Launch that he plans to use for EDC.  

He is also seriously considering this http://www.bladehq.c...ic-Knife--37919 for special occasions, and just because.

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.

#60 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ive read some mixed thoughts on these otf knives that are pretty inexpensive.

http://www.lightning...OTF_KNIVES.html
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users