Photo

What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#271 tab

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

I picked up a Benchmade 3551SBK yesterday at Ray O'Herron in Downers Grove.

http://www.benchmade.com/3551sbk.html

#272 framos242

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

How's their inventory like?

#273 tab

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

How's their inventory like?

It wasn't that big. I was looking for an automatic less than three inches so that's all I really looked at. They carry Benchmade, Gerber, SOG and Kershaw. Some of those were assisted openers and not automatic. I really would have preferred the plain edge but they told me most of the people are looking for serrated. What sold me that day was that they happened to be having a 20% off in stock merchandise when I was there. I decided I liked the discount more. I walked out the door for $165 with tax, retail is $230.

Edited by tab, 09 September 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#274 framos242

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thanks tab for the info!

#275 OldMarineVet

• 1,948 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

Nice knife

#276 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,784 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

I live in a local ban city, so I decided to get an assisted opener from Benchmade. I figured out I'm not a fan after a few minutes playing with it. I still prefer my wrist flip to open, thumb stud controlled and axis locked standard boring Benchmades. 

I haven't decided if I want to sell the Barrage mini yet. It's a nice knife, but I can tell it's not my cup of tea. Glad I learned before investing in a more expensive option.

#277 geomick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

One of the exhibitors at the Bullpup Shoot had a small Microtech for sale. I liked that one very much, but need to either get the local rules changed, get statewide preemption or move myself to the North Side of the Cheddar Curtain.

#278 IceCrMn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

I ordered this one from Adams International Knifeworks on friday.

http://www.adamsknif...roducts_id=3158

I live in Decatur, and I've not been able to locate any local laws that forbid ownership or possession in my specific home town.So I honestly don't know if I can have one or not.Illinois didn't actually make this easy to determine.I sure hope so, I've been wanting one of these for a very long time.

#279 spu69

Firearm and Motorcycle Enthusiast

• 1,025 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

Kershaw Launch 1 from Adams arrived last week. One awesome blade. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#280 OldMarineVet

• 1,948 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

I ordered this one from Adams International Knifeworks on friday.

http://www.adamsknif...roducts_id=3158

I live in Decatur, and I've not been able to locate any local laws that forbid ownership or possession in my specific home town.So I honestly don't know if I can have one or not.Illinois didn't actually make this easy to determine.I sure hope so, I've been wanting one of these for a very long time.

I'm going through the code on the internet.  Link below is under "Firearms" in Decatur City Code. I'm surprised "switchblade" is not in here:

SALE TO MINOR UNDER 16 YEARS FORBIDDEN. No person, firm or corporation shall sell, give, loan, hire, barter, furnish, or offer for sale, or give, loan, hire, barter or furnish to any minor under the age of sixteen (16) years within the City, without the written consent of the parent or legal guardian of said minor, any gun, pistol, revolver, fowling piece or other firearm or any toy gun, toy pistol, toy fowling piece or other toy firearm in which any explosive substance can be used; or any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot or metallic knuckles, or other deadly weapon of like character.

https://www.decaturi...stration/legal/

So, I'm not finding anything either. Maybe Decatur is heavily reliant on IL State Law for weapons? Quick question to a lawyer over there regarding switchblades might make sense...

Edited by OldMarineVet, 24 September 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#281 InterestedBystander

• 3,304 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

I'm also considering looking at dual "double action" hidden release models. They apparently appear and work like a traditional folder until actuating the hidden release. Not sure who makes them and their quality. Havent seen too many references for them so far.

...and I'll repeat my thumbs up for AIK
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#282 JakubWrobel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

I spoke with Justin over at Blade HQ because I am interested in the Gerber Auto Covert (https://www.bladehq....Automatic--3965). The reason for the call was that there are 4 restrictions during the online checkout process that will prevent citizens that are not Military/LEO from ordering online. I explained to him the situation in IL and he said the company is aware of the law and will gladly take an order over the phone once they have received a copy of the FOID card via email. I'm sure I'll order in the next 2-3 days so I'll update on how that process goes.

NRA Life Member

#283 JakubWrobel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Following up on my post above. I ended up buying a different Gerber Covert (https://www.bladehq....ic-Knife--67393) because by the time I decided to order from Blade HQ, the one I wanted was out of stock...will get it next time.

If anyone is planning on using Blade HQ, keep this in mind: in addition to sending a copy of your FOID to Blade HQ, you also have to have a history of at least one purchase from Blade HQ before they will sell you an automatic knife. It's a strange policy, but there is no way around it. Once you have one order placed (I was also told you can call Blade HQ after the order is placed and cancel that order and that will count as having a purchase history with them), you can call them and place an order for an automatic knife you want to buy. A bit of work, but I was happy with the service provided. The person I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. I'm pretty certain I will buy 1 or 2 more Gerber Autos from them.

NRA Life Member

#284 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

I live in a local ban city, so I decided to get an assisted opener from Benchmade. I figured out I'm not a fan after a few minutes playing with it. I still prefer my wrist flip to open, thumb stud controlled and axis locked standard boring Benchmades. 

I haven't decided if I want to sell the Barrage mini yet. It's a nice knife, but I can tell it's not my cup of tea. Glad I learned before investing in a more expensive option.

here I am quoting myself for a follow up post.

I've figured out how to flip open the assisted opener. Now I like it a little more because it's versatile.  I still prefer my Mini Grip and Axis folders though.

#285 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Blade HQ will not steer you wrong. Maybe a bit expensive, but quality and variety. My wife bought me a Benchmade Infidel which is now in police possession, or it might not even have seen inventory (pocketed). It was sweet though.

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#286 InterestedBystander

• 3,304 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

My wife bought me a Benchmade Infidel which is now in police possession, or it might not even have seen inventory (pocketed).

Backstory?
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#287 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

I know I started this thread but I've given up on an auto-opener.  They're banned where I live.  I didn't know that until OldMarineVet  started his thread listing out municipal bans.  I go through a background check every time I do consulting for a company.  On the form they ask if you've ever been charged  with a crime that could result in more than a $75.00 fine or 30 days in jail.  And they can see if I've ever been charged.  I'll basically be unemployable if I get charged for carrying a switchblade - I don't even know the exact wording of the charge but its not going to sound good when it pops up in a background check.

I wanted a dual-action side opener, but I'm going to make do with a spring assisted.  I'm not good a flipper or thumb stud using my left hand so I have a Schrade Viper 3 OTF in my left jacket pocket. I just push up on the lever with my thumb and it deploys.  I have a Kershaw Scrambler in my right jacket pocket.  

I think that's going to be it for me until we get preemption.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#288 OldMarineVet

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Following up on my post above. I ended up buying a different Gerber Covert (https://www.bladehq....ic-Knife--67393) because by the time I decided to order from Blade HQ, the one I wanted was out of stock...will get it next time.

If anyone is planning on using Blade HQ, keep this in mind: in addition to sending a copy of your FOID to Blade HQ, you also have to have a history of at least one purchase from Blade HQ before they will sell you an automatic knife. It's a strange policy, but there is no way around it. Once you have one order placed (I was also told you can call Blade HQ after the order is placed and cancel that order and that will count as having a purchase history with them), you can call them and place an order for an automatic knife you want to buy. A bit of work, but I was happy with the service provided. The person I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. I'm pretty certain I will buy 1 or 2 more Gerber Autos from them.

Wow. That's lots of work but hopefully you are getting better prices. Otherwise, the dealers in Illinois are easier to work with. I used Adams International Knifeworks and did have to go through that.

#289 JakubWrobel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Wow. That's lots of work but hopefully you are getting better prices. Otherwise, the dealers in Illinois are easier to work with. I used Adams International Knifeworks and did have to go through that.

Adams did not have the Gerber knife I bought, so I went with Blade HQ. Turns out, Optics Planet had it for $10 less...it's OK though, I'll be buying more in the future for my bug out bag so I'll know to double check other vendors!

NRA Life Member

#290 kster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

i would like to buy this micro...err Macrotech

#291 splash

• PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

Adams did not have the Gerber knife I bought, so I went with Blade HQ. Turns out, Optics Planet had it for $10 less...it's OK though, I'll be buying more in the future for my bug out bag so I'll know to double check other vendors!

Just an FYI, Optics Planet doesn’t sell auto knife to the general public. Only to LEO’s/Military.

NRA | ISRA Member

#292 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,861 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

i would like to buy this micro...err Macrotech

Way ahead of you, my friend.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#293 JakubWrobel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Just an FYI, Optics Planet doesn’t sell auto knife to the general public. Only to LEO’s/Military.

There you go then. Choices are narrowed down. I also looked at Blade Ops, but having read the reviews for them, I was not keen on doing business with them. Has anyone from IC had any experience with Blade Ops?

Edited by JakubWrobel, 17 October 2017 - 06:20 PM.

NRA Life Member

#294 billzfx4

• Members
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

There you go then. Choices are narrowed down. I also looked at Blade Ops, but having read the reviews for them, I was not keen on doing business with them. Has anyone from IC had any experience with Blade Ops?

I have ordered from Blade Ops twice.  I had no problems at all on either order.  The only thing that may be an issue is that they ship "signature required", so someone will need to be home to accept the delivery or you will have to run to the post office to pick it up.

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.

#295 JakubWrobel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

I have ordered from Blade Ops twice.  I had no problems at all on either order.  The only thing that may be an issue is that they ship "signature required", so someone will need to be home to accept the delivery or you will have to run to the post office to pick it up.

I see. Not really an issue for me since someone is usually always home, but my Gerber knife was delivered via USPS today and no signature required. As long as the prices remain competitive, I'll most likely continue with Blade HQ.

NRA Life Member

#296 OldMarineVet

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

FYI, Adams International Knifeworks in IL also ships "signature required."

#297 papa

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

GPknives sent mine USPS. No signature needed.

#298 OldMarineVet

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

And GPknives also has "Free Ground Shipping on all domestic orders over $99" My postage at AIK was USPS, $10 (probably because signature needed.)

For future reference, how were your dealings with GPkinives? For warranty work, can you send an automatic knife to them so they can send it to the manufacturer for the warranty work? Then will GPknives accept delivery of the repaired automatic knife from the manufacturer and send it to you? Thanks

#299 papa

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

And GPknives also has "Free Ground Shipping on all domestic orders over $99" My postage at AIK was USPS, $10 (probably because signature needed.)

For future reference, how were your dealings with GPkinives? For warranty work, can you send an automatic knife to them so they can send it to the manufacturer for the warranty work? Then will GPknives accept delivery of the repaired automatic knife from the manufacturer and send it to you? Thanks

I didn't have any trouble at all with them. Made the order and they shipped it out PDQ.  As far as the warranty work , I can't tell you. I wasn't worried about it because I figured if a $100.00 knife messed up I would just buy another.

#300 Rieger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

I picked up a Benchmade Casbah (auto) and love it.  I put a sharper edge on it and really have enjoyed it.  Well built and decent price point.  Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users