Photo

Court mandated firearms safety class?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

I have a (potential) student who was required to take one of these classes, but I cannot find any source info for the required topics or length.

Anyone heard of this? 

You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#2 Euler

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

Google says:
a Florida class
another Florida class
a New Hampshire class
a Colorado class

They look like 3 or 4 hour classes.
"This is a gun. Be very careful."

If it's a condition of probation or court supervision, you could ask his parole officer what qualifies for the class.

Looking around on other forums, people there were ordered into the class for getting arrested for DUI or marijuana possession while also in possession of a firearm. Apparently the court just wants to know that the defendant knows which end of a gun the bullets come out, because the judge didn't get the impression the defendant knew when questioned in court.

Edited by Euler, 29 June 2019 - 06:05 PM.

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#3 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,071 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

I have a (potential) student who was required to take one of these classes, but I cannot find any source info for the required topics or length.

Anyone heard of this?

Required here in Illinois?
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#4 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Considering who this state elected for governor...

A mandated class to tell which end the bullet leaves may very well be a good idea....

JellyBelly Voter

LoO.jpg

(Purple not necessary)

#5 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:49 AM

Anyone heard of this?

Required here in Illinois?

IM Inbound. :)
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#6 Craigcelia

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

I had a student who needed this from some trouble they got into in Wisconsin. Needed a firearm safety class, no other stipulations. I ran him through my own curriculum, issued a certificate, worked fine for his needs. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Craig

NRA / ISRA Life Member

GOA Member
ICCL Classes Available

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users