Prescription shooting glasses for an old timer with progressive lenses?

Briantime

I'm starting to struggle getting a clear view of the sights on both my pistols and rifles. I'm basically seeing a fuzzy sight in front of a fuzzy target which is not a combo for success.

Has anyone found a good solution for the same problem?

I am in the western suburbs so if anyone has worked with an optometrist in this issue, I would be glad for a referral.

I'm starting to struggle getting a clear view of the sights on both my pistols and rifles. I'm basically seeing a fuzzy sight in front of a fuzzy target which is not a combo for success.

I am in the western suburbs so if anyone has worked with an optometrist in this issue, I would be glad for a referral.

My eyedoc suggested a "reversed" bifocal progressive i.e. small near distance area at top of lens and larger far distance at the bottom.

There is also a shooting glasses thread I cant find at the moment...it may be in the archives

Give these folks a call. They specialize in glasses for shooting sports.

Xtreme Optical specializes in custom prescription eye wear for shooting.

If you need to see far away for clays or focus on the front sight for handgun we have the solution for all of your shooting eye wear needs.

55 E Main. Roselle. 630-529-9395

I have not used them myself but have heard good things about them

They are shooters themselves. They are ASC members.

Good luck

I have the same problem. My recent pair of glasses seemed to have fixed it. I told the eye doctor about my shooting participation, and how the front sights were fuzzy.

I did need an upgraded prescription at all 3 portions of my progressive lenses, and however he did it the front sights are now crystal clear for me.

I was extremely happy and can now see the front sights on handguns like you're supposed to see them. I'm still no Bullseye shooter, but then again I never was.

My eyedoc suggested a "reversed" bifocal progressive i.e. small near distance area at top of lens and larger far distance at the bottom.

There is also a shooting glasses thread I cant find at the moment...it may be in the archives

I did this and it works. I use the glasses for shooting and for computer work. I got safety polycarbonate glasses so they are safe for shooting. Got these at Costco. Ask your doctor to wrote a prescription for "computer glasses".

I did this and it works. I use the glasses for shooting and for computer work. I got safety polycarbonate glasses so they are safe for shooting. Got these at Costco. Ask your doctor to wrote a prescription for "computer glasses".

I went with a pair of Wiley shooting glasses that had replaceable lenses i.e clear, amber, gray for different light conditions. There was a separate optical insert they made the RX for. Overall not very expensive considering.

I did reversed mono vision contacts. In regular mono vision they prescribe a distance contact for the dominant eye and reading contact for the non-dominant eye. That didn't work as it was too hard to see the front sight well. I had them switch the contact prescriptions and it has worked well.

I did reversed mono vision contacts. In regular mono vision they prescribe a distance contact for the dominant eye and reading contact for the non-dominant eye. That didn't work as it was too hard to see the front sight well. I had them switch the contact prescriptions and it has worked well.

That was also presented as an option but I was told some brains dont process that change well and just dont adjust

I am nearsighted. I had my optometrist make bifocal lenses with the reader at the very bottom bottom of the lens, as low as they could place it... about 11mm. I can see the sights with the bottom part and the target is in focus beyond. A small tilt of my head brings the reader up or down as needed.

Walking with these bifocals on is easier, too. It's closer (for me) to not wearing glasses.

CostCo made my most recent pair. Sam's Club did one, too.

Give these folks a call. They specialize in glasses for shooting sports.

Xtreme Optical specializes in custom prescription eye wear for shooting.

If you need to see far away for clays or focus on the front sight for handgun we have the solution for all of your shooting eye wear needs.

55 E Main. Roselle. 630-529-9395

I have not used them myself but have heard good things about them

They are shooters themselves. They are ASC members.

Good luck

I was going to post this one too. I've not used them either, but I know a few people that have and had nothing but great things to say.

What's weird is I'm going on 40, and up until last year, my vision in both eyes was getting progressively worse every other year. Last year I went in for my checkup, and my vision actually improved. I don't wear glasses when I shoot, and only wear contacts because glasses tend to make my depth perception terrible.

I'm horribly nearsighted/myopic (like 20/80, used to be 20/10) with astigmatism but not bad enough to require special contacts to correct. Headlights have little halos and whatnot, I try wear glasses when driving at night anyway. Sounds like you need bifocals. They make bifocal contacts, saves you the trouble of having to buy special glasses for everything (safety/shooting, sunglasses). But I bet they're extremely expensive since I pay about $350 (which is a steal since 1800contacts wants 650 for the same thing) for a year's supply of daily lenses. I guess if money is no object and you don't mind sticking a finger in your eye (you'll get used to it).

Archived