Photo

Safety Concerns Spur Black Women in Chicago to Carry Concealed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

http://www.chicagotr...0831-story.html

Safety concerns spur more black women in Chicago to receive concealed-carry gun permits

By Yuliana Romanyshyn
Chicago Tribune
September 12, 2017 12:15 PM

At first glance, nothing differentiates Vernetta Robinzine from passers-by in the Beverly neighborhood on Chicago's Far South Side. On a recent evening, like most people on a workday, she donned business casual attire with a loose, bright blouse. But her daily wardrobe includes something unseen that gives her confidence.

Robinzine, 51, is a gun owner with a concealed carry license. Since she received her permit in late spring, she carries her firearm wherever she goes.

"It's like a part of me now," Robinzine said with the smile.

Data show Robinzine is part of a burgeoning group in Cook County: black women obtaining concealed carry permits. Since Illinois began issuing licenses in 2014, the number of African-American women receiving a permit in Cook County has grown every year.

About 800 black women got a license in 2014, according to Illinois State Police. So far in 2017, nearly 1,400 black women have received a concealed carry permit already more than all of 2016. In all, more than 4,000 black women have received a concealed carry license in Cook County.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#2 Hazborgufen

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

The 2nd Amendment is for everyone.

Now if only the license was less expensive so that more people could afford to get one.

#3 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

This is great news.  Especially for those in the less fortunate neighborhoods who really need this the most.  Did you hear about the lady the other day that fought an attacker, obtained the attackers gun and even got a round in on him?  What I find disturbing is that stats like this even exist.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#4 Stevepk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

I don't like that they "Outed" her. Hope they changed the names to protect the innocent.

Edited by Stevepk, 12 September 2017 - 02:03 PM.

MSGT - USAF Retired - Command & Control Tech. (Command Post)

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.
Ronald Reagan

#5 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Good for them

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#6 RoadyRunner

• Members
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

If only she could carry on the CTA.....

IC Supporting member
NRA life member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#7 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

My favorite:

post-3474-0-90321200-1385238088.gif

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#8 Trevis

• Members
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Good, welcome to the realm of people who take their own protection seriously. All are welcome, just do it legally, responsibly, and get some more training whenever you can.

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom...and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged..." - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.”

― Lysander SpoonerNo Treason: The Constitution of No Authority

1AApp.jpg

#9 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

Yes, but didn't the Daleys want to keep firearms out of the hands of "non-whites" and doesn't Rahm want to dissuade everyone but the police and his cronies from carrying or even possessing a firearm in the City of Chicago?

You know, because only him and his elite ilk need protection or should be allowed to have firearms.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#10 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

Yes, gun control advocates have always preached to the community that "more guns are not the answer."

I think it represents a growing fracture in a once monolithic staunchly anti-gun demographic.

When Jesse Jackson shows up at Chucks, he has a few young men with him, but the majority of the contingent is made up of elderly African-American women.

Its really fantastic. The next time La Shawn Ford, Monique Davis, Mary Flowers, Sonya Harper, Camille Lilly and others consider signing on to someone's gun control scheme - they'll have to consider the reaction  of this growing number of constituents.  People like Don Harmon and Greg Harris concoct these gun control schemes and wrap them in nice sounding descriptions but the real intent is to keep guns out of the hands of the citizenry any way possible.  History has shown that many people (including dope-heads like Tom Rooney) support a bill based on the stated "good" intentions of the bill's sponsor.  

Some of these 4,000 new licensees are going to read beyond the deceptive descriptions of the bills and realize that these bills will cost them money or directly outlaw the firearms they've purchased or sometimes do both.

Edited by C0untZer0, 13 September 2017 - 06:48 AM.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#11 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

Back when CC was passed La Shawn Ford and Todd held a neighborhood meeting at the now closed Lil Red Wagon in Oak Park. La Shawn asked if there are any women with guns. One of his assistants, a black woman, was among the women who raised their hands. He was taken aback and looked like he was going to have heart palpitations. He said he was genuinely surprised that one of his own employees would own a gun, let alone a woman. I wonder if she is still employed by him?

Have all boated who fish?

#12 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

This is why I'm convinced that the gun control movement will begin collapsing as a political force in this country. More and more people are realizing that the movement is a joke and that gun control harms them.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#13 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

The 2nd Amendment is for everyone.

Now if only the license was less expensive so that more people could afford to get one.

<cough> Poll tax <cough>
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#14 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

This is why I'm convinced that the gun control movement will begin collapsing as a political force in this country. 

The desire to limit gun to law enforcement and the military exists outside of the gun control movement.  There are  gun owners who are liberal or left leaning on other issues but believe in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and I am grateful to those gun owners who have joined the fight to preserve the Second Amendment, but "gun control" is not an isolated issue that exists only within the gun control "movement"

I want to be welcoming to all gun owners whether they be Democrats, Republicans, independents or others who believe that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to purchase arms and to posses and to carry arms upon their person.

But gun control is a plank in the Democratic Party's platform, and it is a common and recurring theme of leftist thought.

https://www.democrat.../party-platform

I think what we've seen is specific gun control movements like National Council to Control Handguns (NCCH), National Coalition to Ban Handguns (NCBH), LCAV and Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is that they are going to continue to fail as movements and they will continue to re-brand themselves and morph into new organizations, but these organizations are composed of people who are adherents of broader ideology.  

​There is an ideological divide in this country.  Almost everyone at IllinoisCarry.com believes that the Constitution created by the founders of this country should guide all law and all public policy.  There are however, people who pick and choose which ideas in the Constitution are of value and which ideas should be discarded.  Many people think good governance is the way forward to  solving humanity's problems.  They have faith in government and doing things collectively, and a distrust of letting individuals go off on their own.  The Constitution by its very nature limits government's ability to do things.  Because the Constitution carves out individual rights and proscribes areas that government cannot address - it limits what government can accomplish.  People who think good governance is the way forward to  solving humanity's problems don't like things that limit government's power.  They think something like the Second Amendment limits government's power to improve the lives of all Americans - so they'd like to get rid of it.

Gun control schemes will continue to be generated by people who have adopted this ideology.

Edited by C0untZer0, 15 September 2017 - 07:52 AM.

- N. A. Halkides -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users