Archdiocese of Chicago

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 cola490

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Effective September 14,2017, no firearm will be permitted on any church, school, administrative facility, or other facility owned and controlled by the Archdiocese.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 framos242

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Have a link for that?

#3 Bo69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

its a good thing I go to Lutheran church.

#4 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Gee, a LWW cardinal does this.  

So welcoming and inclusive!!

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#5 ilphil

Ornery Skeptic

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Effective September 14,2017, no firearm will be permitted on any church, school, administrative facility, or other facility owned and controlled by the Archdiocese.

I would think most were already GFZs by statute, weren't they?

#6 Indigo

Just another silver-haired devil

• Members
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

Nope

• They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it’s not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance

#7 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

I don't recall Jesus ever telling soldiers to not bring their swords with them when talking to him....

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#8 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 12,500 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

And the result is the Archdiocese of Chicago drives even more Catholics away.

Sad.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#9 junglebob

• 5,932 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Not churches. I carry at mine every Sunday, not a Roman Catholic Church though. When I took my FCCL class we had the classroom part at my church. Yeah there were guns in the classroom too.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#10 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

In the future, when a Catholic church gets shot up because a crazy knows it safe for him to do so, the Archdiocese will then use that incident to call for gun control.

I will also bet my entire 401K that the Archdiocese doesn't know who Mary Shepard is or that she was attacked, brutalized and left for dead while working in her church.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#11 GarandCollector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

Here is the letter.    Our church went through a 8 month long process.  Our congregation rejected posting the sign.  Now we will be forced to post.   

Attached Files

Edited by GarandCollector, 11 September 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#12 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

For purposes of this Policy, firearm means any device, by whatever name known, which is
designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or
escape of gas, or the build-up and release of tension or pressure. By way of example, this
definition includes, but is not limited to, any pistol, revolver, or other handgun, and any shotgun,
rifle, or other long gun.

It's a sad day when the Archbishop is as adept at citing statute as he is at citing scripture.

I'm able to see only a man of this world in his words.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#13 markthesignguy

S39-(D)D.Harmon(F-) R77-(D)K.Willis(F-)

• 2,402 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

This does not surprise me.

My only slight surprise is that it has taken this long.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign......

#14 mikew

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Is there a link to this somewhere on the archdiocese website?

#15 GarandCollector

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm on the Parish Council of my church and I received the letter through our pastor today.

The archdiocese has been working on this for several months now.

#16 GarandCollector

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

It was also mentioned on the WGN news this evening.

#17 Keith44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

And also on the WLS news at 10:00 PM.

Edited by Keith44, 11 September 2017 - 09:09 PM.

NRA Life Member
..., the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. - 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

#18 Googe1227

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

And pfather pflaker is all for it. He was just spouting off on NBC news at 10.
"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison
NRA, ISRA, GOA, SAF

#19 Kaeghl

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

So, is father "Snuffy" Phlager the ArchBishop of Chicago now?

#20 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,861 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#21 BillR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

They're probably worried about Priests getting shot up while abusing little children....
Lifetime Member NRA
Lifetime Member IL. State Rifle Assn.

#22 madcow1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

In the spirit of the 500th anniversary of the reformation, nail a letter to your church door and then PM me and I'll show you around my nondenominational church next weekend. The majority of our congregants came from a Catholic background.

If you are set on sticking with your Catholic church, there is one thing that always has and always will get the attention of the church: $

#23 Rangerdeepv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

Let's see........Catholic church says to keep DACA, wants to keep the immigration policy in pre-Trump status, harbors illegal immigrants and it now not allowing CCW'ers? Wonder which ones they are really wanting to attract? 

#24 solareclipse2

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

In the spirit of the 500th anniversary of the reformation, nail a letter to your church door and then PM me and I'll show you around my nondenominational church next weekend. The majority of our congregants came from a Catholic background.

If you are set on sticking with your Catholic church, there is one thing that always has and always will get the attention of the church: $

The entirety of this forum doesn't have enough money to change the mind of the Catholic church.

I WILL LOSE EVERY ARGUMENT FROM NOW ON, I WILL WALK AWAY FROM EVERY FIGHT OR CONFRONTATION, I WILL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD.

#25 cherryriver

Actual Member

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

As for churches not being statutory no-carry zones: recall that genesis of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act of 2013 was the result of a lawsuit against the State of Illinois brought by crime victims assaulted inside their church.  The old UUW no-carry portion was stricken as unconstitutional as a result of the lawsuit.

It would have been hard for the Legislature to have banned carry in churches given Shepard v. Madigan.

Winter may change to summer, but the silly season goes on and on...

#26 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

As for churches not being statutory no-carry zones: recall that genesis of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act of 2013 was the result of a lawsuit against the State of Illinois brought by crime victims assaulted inside their church.  The old UUW no-carry portion was stricken as unconstitutional as a result of the lawsuit.
It would have been hard for the Legislature to have banned carry in churches given Shepard v. Madigan.

True, but that didn't stop various Democrat legislators from later introducing bills trying to add churches to the list of prohibited locations.

I think even the governor's amendatory veto included churches, and Senate President Cullerton commented in committee that be though churches were already on the list.

Shows how in touch our legislators are with the people, let alone the very bills they've already voted to pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#27 junglebob

• 5,932 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

I don't recall Jesus ever telling soldiers to not bring their swords with them when talking to him....

How about Peter, the first pope according to the Roman Catholic Church. In the Garden, where the Roman soldiers come for Jesus, Peter draws his sword and cuts off the ear of the High Priests servant. John 18:11 records Jesus as saying to Peter "Put your sword in it's sheath"(King James Version) So the "first pope" carried and Jesus didn't tell him to leave his sword at home.

Edited by junglebob, 12 September 2017 - 07:40 AM.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#28 OldMarineVet

• 1,948 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

Response to churches that declare themselves “gun free zones”

Luke 22:36
Jesus said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Luke 22:38
The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.

Nehemiah 4:9
We prayed to our God and posted a guard…”

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

CCC 2263 The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. "The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor. . . . The one is intended, the other is not."

CCC 2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:

If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.

#29 capnbill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

I guess that means cemeteries owned and operated by the Archdiocese of Chicago are also included.

U. S. Air Force Veteran
U. S. Navy Retired
ISRA Supporting Member

NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Patron Member

#30 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,790 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

I guess that means cemeteries owned and operated by the Archdiocese of Chicago are also included.

Only if they're properly posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users