• PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

http://www.chicagotr...0821-story.html

#2 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

I dont get the leaving car running, but it seems to happen more than I would expect in articles I read.

..."The 45-year-old left his car running and came out to find a 17-year-old attempting to steal the car, according to a release from the city. He fired his weapon toward the 17-year-old to "stop the offender from running him over with his vehicle."

The 17-year-old was pronounced dead at West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, and the lieutenant was taken to a hospital for observation.

The lieutenant has a valid conceal carry license and firearm owner identification card, authorities said. "...

Edited by InterestedBystander, 21 August 2017 - 05:17 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#3 mkhalil61

• PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

Good news. 

#4 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Hmmm, I thought they always took those guys to the John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#5 ScopeEye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Good shoot

one less hoodlum

Illinois Carry Member

NRA Life Member

ISRA

#6 Neumann

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

Good news, maybe?

He shot the robber to "stop the offender from running him over with the car" sounds like a California orange - color added. I hope he sticks to that story, because shooting someone running off with your property is not self-defense, rather something that includes meals and limited mobility. Leaving your car running, unattended, is close to suborning a felony.

#7 TomC727

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

Hmmm, I thought they always took those guys to the John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.

It depends on the condition of the person.  If they are dead with no signs of life, they go to the closest hospital regardless of trauma center status.  If they are alive, they go to the nearest trauma center as long has they are within 20 minutes (In general, you are 20 minutes from a trauma center anywhere in the city of Chicago).  Surprisingly enough to the vast majority of people, Christ in Oak Lawn is the busiest in the state, not County.  The dividing lines on when someone goes to Christ vs. Mt Sinai vs. County (The 3 main trauma centers serving the city violence) is a complicated algorithm involving time of day, traffic patterns, and number of victims and conditions at the scene.

#8 OldMarineVet

• 1,709 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

I know policeman have their own version of conceal carry permission active and after retirement (or if they leave before retirement?)  Not sure if firefighters have the same type of concealed carry program. 

Just curious of this fire lieutenant has the same type of program.  Or is he one of us under Illinois concealed carry and part of our statistics.  

#9 gregivq

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

But I thought that cars were not weapons. That's what they told CPD and that thing in Virginia is ... well someone is going to call me racist now geeeeez.

#10 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

It depends on the condition of the person.  If they are dead with no signs of life, they go to the closest hospital regardless of trauma center status.  If they are alive, they go to the nearest trauma center as long has they are within 20 minutes (In general, you are 20 minutes from a trauma center anywhere in the city of Chicago).  Surprisingly enough to the vast majority of people, Christ in Oak Lawn is the busiest in the state, not County.  The dividing lines on when someone goes to Christ vs. Mt Sinai vs. County (The 3 main trauma centers serving the city violence) is a complicated algorithm involving time of day, traffic patterns, and number of victims and conditions at the scene.

Pretty interesting.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#11 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 2,195 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

SUBORNING:
To induce (as a person) by secret or underhanded means to do some improper or unlawful thing.

SUBORNATION:
The sin or offense of procuring one to do a criminal or bad action, as by bribes or persuasion.
"Foul subornation is predominant."

So by the above post if I leave my front door open, I'm assisting in a felony?
People leave their cars running for a minute, maybe seconds, and it's us committing a felony?
Who hasn't stopped to top off the tank and left the car running in your life, go head, raise your hands!
My shed is wide open while I mow, I go inside to cool off and grab a drink and I'm committing felony?
I lay my phone on the counter to pay a bill and walk of without it only to be committing a felony?
Toys are laying around the neighborhood and those parents are committing a felony?

One would think that we'd stop laying the blame in any way on the victim in these cases.
A criminal is just that, looking to commit a crime anywhere anytime, all the time.
If we have to start locking ourselves in our homes, cars, own little worlds because these MoRons can't abide by the laws in place....F'em.

We aren't making people criminals, but we have a way of stoping them and sending a signal that it's not a good idea to do such things.

#12 THE KING

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

I know policeman have their own version of conceal carry permission active and after retirement (or if they leave before retirement?)  Not sure if firefighters have the same type of concealed carry program. 

Just curious of this fire lieutenant has the same type of program.  Or is he one of us under Illinois concealed carry and part of our statistics.

We fall under the FCCA like everyone else. No special program for firefighters.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#13 OldMarineVet

• 1,709 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

We fall under the FCCA like everyone else. No special program for firefighters.

Thank you sir

#14 OldMarineVet

• 1,709 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

SUBORNING:
To induce (as a person) by secret or underhanded means to do some improper or unlawful thing.

SUBORNATION:
The sin or offense of procuring one to do a criminal or bad action, as by bribes or persuasion.

People leave their cars running for a minute, maybe seconds, and it's us committing a felony?
Who hasn't stopped to top off the tank and left the car running in your life, go head, raise your hands!
My shed is wide open while I mow, I go inside to cool off and grab a drink and I'm committing felony?
I lay my phone on the counter to pay a bill and walk of without it only to be committing a felony?
Toys are laying around the neighborhood and those parents are committing a felony?

One would think that we'd stop laying the blame in any way on the victim in these cases.
A criminal is just that, looking to commit a crime anywhere anytime, all the time.
If we have to start locking ourselves in our homes, cars, own little worlds because these MoRons can't abide by the laws in place....F'em.

We aren't making people criminals, but we have a way of stoping them and sending a signal that it's not a good idea to do such things.

You said "One would think that we'd stop laying the blame in any way on the victim in these cases."

Couldn't agree more.

#15 THE KING

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Your welcome. The only exception to what I posted is for arson investigators that are qualified to carry under State law.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#16 richp

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

The LEOSA legislation does not cover firefighters.

Rich Phillips

#17 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

SUBORNING:

SUBORNATION:

No different than blaming a rape victim due to the length of her skirt.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#18 BigJim

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

cartoons_school_elements_vector_set_5359

Me!  I always turn off my ignition when pumping gas.

Back when I was a teen I worked at a local gas station pumping gas.  We always asked drivers to turn off their vehicle even in subzero weather.  That is a habit that persists to this day.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#19 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

How many people top off their tanks even though there is a sign right there on the pumps that says "Do Not Top Off"

I ruined a charcoal canister over 10 years ago, and I stopped after that.

- N. A. Halkides -

#20 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 2,195 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

Maybe I didn't mean Top Off
Maybe it is called Filling Up
I gots 3/4 of a tank and decide to Fill Up.......is that the same as Top Off?
Sorry had to come back and add:
How does Filling Up to "Full" ruin a charcoal canister.
Not saying it didn't happen, just a curious mind soaking it in!

And who in double hockey sticks stands and reads the labels on these things?
Yeah, read and watch the TV's attached and get robbed not paying attention while pumping............

Edited by Bubbacs, 22 August 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#21 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

I think the canisters on newer cars are more protected.

Topping off is when you try to put more gas in your car after the initial shutoff - assuming that the auto shutoff operated properly and really did shut off after your tank was "full"

Topping off means continuing to trickle gas into the tank until it is so full that no more gas can be put in the tank.  In order to do that you have to back the nozzle out and trickle gas in right at the opening.  A lot of people end up overflowing their tank when they try this.

Some of the old ******** at Costco  seem to think that SOP for filling up your tank is to fill it till gas spills on the ground - which means you're done.

I don't look it it from an environmental viewpoint, I hate having to step around gas puddles when filling my car, and there have been times when I've been pre-occupied while getting out of my car, and I've stepped in a gas puddle before I noticed it - which really pisses me off.

- N. A. Halkides -

#22 lockman

• 7,500 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

SUBORNING:

SUBORNATION:

Yes, and the clothes she was wearing was just asking for it!

Answer was posted before reading all of the thread to date.

Edited by lockman, 22 August 2017 - 10:55 AM.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#23 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

When I fill up I, I make sure its safe to even put the nozzle in the tank, then I set it to automatic and step back so I have a clear field of vision of everything thats surrounding me, and I have both hands free.

When the auto-shutoff clicks, I look around again, make sure its safe to put the nozzle back in the cradle and off I go - my head's on a swivel all the time.

- N. A. Halkides -

#24 InterestedBystander

• 3,101 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

Me!  I always turn off my ignition when pumping gas.

Me two
cartoons_school_elements_vector_set_5359student-raising-his-hand-male-university

edit to change pic so the clown quits calling me names :-)

Edited by InterestedBystander, 22 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#25 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 2,195 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

@C0untZer0

Ok, I get it, so i was talking about Filling Up and not Toping Off........
Once again an Old Dog learns a new trick.....Thanks!

@InterestedBystander

What a copy cat.......lol

Edited by Bubbacs, 22 August 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#26 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

It is kind of weird that the headline calls out that it was an off-duty fireman.  What difference does his profession make?  He doesn't have arrest powers and he doesn't carry a gun as part of his job.

That's like saying "Off-duty Chicago Board-of-Trade, IT Manager fatally shoots man who stole car."

What difference does it make?

- N. A. Halkides -

#27 RoadyRunner

• Members
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

When I fill up I, I make sure its safe to even put the nozzle in the tank, then I set it to automatic and step back so I have a clear field of vision of everything thats surrounding me, and I have both hands free.

When the auto-shutoff clicks, I look around again, make sure its safe to put the nozzle back in the cradle and off I go - my head's on a swivel all the time.

This is what I do, but with one addition.

Before reaching for the nozzle after it clicks off, I touch the body of the car well away from the nozzle and gas tank. This discharges any possible static electricity that was generated as I tapped my feet impatiently waiting for the tank to fill...

IC Supporting member
NRA life member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#28 Neumann

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

SUBORNING:

SUBORNATION:

The key word is "unattended." While not a crime in itself, it is a powerful temptation for some people who happen by, even in so-called good neighborhoods. There's no valid reason to do it, so don't do it.

Topping off your tank, you are an arms length from the door. (Leaving the car running when pumping gas is crime of some degree, foolish in the first degree.) The "felony" is stealing property worth more than $600, not making it easy to steal. Walking into an open shed is trespassing, not a felony, even if they refuse to leave when so ordered. Walking into an open residence is tricky. Technically it is not "breaking and entering," thus triggering the Castle Doctrine, which also requires that the residence is occupied at the time. Misplacing an item (e.g., a cell phone) is not a crime. Picking up a misplaced phone is a crime if you make no attempt to return it to the rightful owner.

At least one home owner is now in prison for leaving his garage door open, lying in wait, then gunning down three teenagers who walked in. another was justified in killing a burglar who broke in a locked door while the owner waited inside, anticipating the burglar's return.

"Suborning" is a verb, "subordination" is a noun. Does "insubordination" mean the opposite of "subordination?" Half a definition is better than none, I suppose. Otherwise, thanks for the insight.

I hope you feel better now.

Edited by Neumann, 22 August 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#29 OldMarineVet

• 1,709 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

Great idea instead of twisting my neck. I'm going to start doing that.

Edited by OldMarineVet, 23 August 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#30 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

OMG, how does an article on a guy shooting a car thief turn into a argument about topping off gas tanks. Jeez, don't you old ladies need to fold some laundry or something?  Good lord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users