Photo

CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Data as of 1 Aug 2017

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

As of the end of the day on Jul 31, 2017, there were 255,272 active FCCLs and 2,189,502 active FOID cards. The Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB) had a backlog of 2,017 applications in the queue for review.

The first attachment below was obtained via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Illinois State Police. In addition to the totals just mentioned, this document includes a table that captures the current cumulative totals for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses (CCLs) issued to nonresidents and residents since the program began. Note that these totals represent the total number ever ISSUED, and are not adjusted for those that have since been revoked or cancelled. This table also includes totals for CCLs that have been denied, revoked, or are currently awaiting action from the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB).

The second attachment contains a trend analysis based on prior FOIA requests. Raw/calculated data are in the table, followed by some rudimentary graphs that paint a visual picture of where we've been and where we stand today.

For those tracking the CCLRB backlog, note that it rose in June and dropped again in July.

Unfortunately, the average number of new CCL applications per day is at a 2-year low, and perhaps the lowest ever. (My records go back to June 2015.)

Questions, please ask.

Attached File  FOIA - CCL FOID CCLRB - 1 Aug 2017.pdf   324.46KB   430 downloads
Attached File  CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Trend Analysis - 1 Aug 2017.pdf   75KB   224 downloads
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#2 OrlandInstructor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

Thank you for the update

#3 mkhalil61

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the update! 

#4 stockboyy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

It appears the Back-Log is showing a good down trend

thanks

#5 oohrah

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Interesting.  I'm in rare company.  :cool:

USMC, Retired
Waco, Texas
Texas LTC
Illinois CCL
SASS 105352

#6 OldMarineVet

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

Thanks

#7 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,606 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

Is July usually a slow month, summer vacations/activities and all?

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#8 22cal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

If Illinois CCL wasnt so expensive to get and requiring two days of training that people cant take off for there would be a much higher number!

#9 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Is July usually a slow month, summer vacations/activities and all?

Yes, it is, and the charts confirm this in 2015 and 2016. But it hasn't dipped this far before.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#10 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

If Illinois CCL wasnt so expensive to get and requiring two days of training that people cant take off for there would be a much higher number!

And for residents of the four substantially similar states, the cost and training really make things difficult.

If neighboring states qualified, the nonresident numbers would skyrocket.

#11 OldMarineVet

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Deleted

Edited by OldMarineVet, 11 August 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#12 lockman

• 7,557 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

When I download the 2nd PDF it is ok.

When I download the First one, the counter ticks on the # of downloads, but the download fails.

Edited by lockman, 11 August 2017 - 10:57 AM.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#13 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

When I download the 2nd PDF it is ok.
 When I download the First one, the counter ticks on the # of downloads, but the download fails.

PDFs and other files are often flakey on IC. I'm not sure anyone has found the answer. Did you try using a different browser?

Edited by kwc, 11 August 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#14 oohrah

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

And for residents of the four substantially similar states, the cost and training really make things difficult.

Yes, indeedy!  But it was worth it.

USMC, Retired
Waco, Texas
Texas LTC
Illinois CCL
SASS 105352

#15 Soutsidr

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

This is where I am at. I could afford it, but the training time has been an impediment. Plus I could rarely carry anyway with a park out my back door and work having policies against it. I do field work, often in bad areas, using a company vehicle. I'd get fired immediately if I carried.

#16 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

This is great to hear! All of the researchers that I have talked to on this subject were predicting that it would take quite 5–7 years to reach 250,000, and that the number would level off around that amount. We reached that number 3.5 years into having CCLs and it appears as if the number of applicants and approved CCLs is keeping steady or even increasing monthly.

This is a prediction that I'm happy has proven the analysis and models completely wrong! 

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#17 tseeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

I have the same downloading issue as lockman. Tried to download to my phone and laptop (even used different browsers). Is their anywhere else that I can download the first pdf? Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

#18 Scipio24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

I was able to download the first file, however, it downloads as 0 KB in size and thus I am unable to open it etc.  Can potentially look into Google Documents, or filesharing program like wetransfer.com.  I use wetransfer for work often, however, without a paid account, links of documents will only be available for 7 days.

#19 Hipshot Percussion

• 2,288 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

I think the two biggest reasons for the low totals after 3.5 years are the expense and the fact you can't carry on public transportation.  All those people in the city who must take PT every day to and from work and pay the exorbitant costs of a CCL and you have a whole crew of people who say... ahh the heck with it.  Carry on Public transportation is the first thing I would like to see changed.

Edited by Hipshot Percussion, 05 September 2017 - 07:56 AM.

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#20 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

I was able to download the first file, however, it downloads as 0 KB in size and thus I am unable to open it etc.  Can potentially look into Google Documents, or filesharing program like wetransfer.com.  I use wetransfer for work often, however, without a paid account, links of documents will only be available for 7 days.

Very frustrating... I wish we could resolve the issue on this forum that prevents some files from being uploaded and/or downloaded.

I put a copy on my server here:

http://morsel.info/p... 1 Aug 2017.pdf

Please let me know if this works for you.

Edited by kwc, 05 September 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#21 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

The forum software update is still in the works.  We're hopeful it will resolve this problem.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#22 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

The forum software update is still in the works.  We're hopeful it will resolve this problem.

Awesome. :)

#23 mkhalil61

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

Awesome. :)

How long before the next batch of CCLRB backlog? 

#24 Scipio24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

Very frustrating... I wish we could resolve the issue on this forum that prevents some files from being uploaded and/or downloaded.

I put a copy on my server here:

http://morsel.info/p... 1 Aug 2017.pdf

Please let me know if this works for you.

Was able to download it (and view the content) successfully.  Thanks very much, kwc.

#25 BrowningHP

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

that's a quarter million FCCLs in the wild now, do we know roughly what percentage of those are in Cook?

#26 vito

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

With 12.8 million people in Illinois, a quarter million licensed to carry is still a minuscule amount. Having less than 2% of the population licensed, and certainly a lesser number actually carrying at any given time is clearly not enough to create a deterrent effect on criminals. On the other hand, it allows those of us that carry daily to be even more invisible and give us a greater element of surprise if we actually ever need to draw and/or use our concealed firearm. I've often wondered what the percentage needs to be before the average dumb but devious criminal starts to change their behavior out of concern that they will be shot or stopped by an armed civilian. Still, five years ago I would have said that legal concealed carry would not come to Illinois in my lifetime and here I am carrying for the last three and a half years. And living outside Chicago I find it rare that I have to leave my firearm home or locked in my car. 

Retired U.S. Army

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

Proud member of the Deplorables

Refined Hydrocarbon Recycler 

#27 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

I submit these FOIA requests monthly and should have data for end of Aug in a week or two.

#28 mkhalil61

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

I submit these FOIA requests monthly and should have data for end of Aug in a week or two.

Awesome. Thanks! 

#29 kwc

• 3,186 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

Awesome. Thanks!

The 1 Sep report is posted here:

http://illinoiscarry...&st=0&p=1105761

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users