Photo

Firearm Defense Attorneys in IL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
112 replies to this topic

#61 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I think everyone needs to be careful when signing up for an insurance, or pre-paid legal service agreement. I was looking into various companies and when I thought I found the right one I called them and asked for the names of the attorneys that they would contact to represent me if I were involved in a self defense shooting situation. They were able to provide me with only a single name. When I googled that attorney, I found he was a bankruptcy attorney cleaning extensive experience in wills and trusts. Not a single mention of any criminal defense background or training. Needless to say I did not sign up with that national firm. But based on the above comments I will be looking into Armed Citizens Defense Network, Inc.

With the ACLDN, you are not obligated to use their affiliated attorneys. If you have a preferred attorney, they will work with him/her.

Looks like they only pay up to $10k? I was reading their FAQ. Also says you may qualify for a grant from the fund, but doesn't say limitations or if you are guaranteed.   I am going to work up some questions and give them a lengthy email next week.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#62 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

I want to add the name of one of my students,

Beau Winston

312-206-0055

beauwinston@gmail.com

Have an address?

I don't, but I just I invited Beau to join the forum. Hopefully he'll come add his address himself.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#63 semper1911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Anyone know of a firearm defense friendly lawyer in central illinois?  Been Talking with a few, they are firearm friendly but lack indepth knowledge to answer all my questions.

#64 Rieger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

I just got hooked up with Mike Mcmahon (posted on first page of this discussion by Molly B).  He is out of the Hinsdale area.  Seems like a good guy.  He gave me his personal cell number and instructed me to call if needed 24hrs/day.  Sounds like he is very pro 2A and is in the process of getting his CCL permit as well. 

#65 Navy80to04

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

What about USCCA?  or ccw Safe or NRA ??? don't know.

Life NRA,  IL CCL, PA CCW NONres.

#66 Sparks701

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Ive really been reading up on this lately and am leaning towards ccw safe. I like the five year plan, you save $99 also. Doug

Edited by Sparks701, 03 April 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#67 almosthuman75

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Any in the  618 area code or near there at all?

#68 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,605 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Added

Federman and Associates

7101 N. Cicero Ave

Ste 200

Lincolnwood Il 60712

847 679 8300

Email squire25@aol.com

Both Cook and Lake County

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#69 Marie

Lizzie's Bennet's alter ego

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

Molly, glad to see that new addition as I live in Cook County.

Great Lakes: Unsalted and Shark Free!

#70 Elmer Fudd

CPA

• 5,899 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Added

Federman and Associates

7101 N. Cicero Ave

Ste 200

Lincolnwood Il 60712

847 679 8300

Email squire25@aol.com

Both Cook and Lake County

I have spoken to Irv Federman myself and am going to see him probably end of next week. My conversation with him a couple of days ago was positive. He is a very experienced criminal attorney that is in practice with his daughter. He has some FOID and CCL denial work on his plate and is starting to work through the mechanics. I am meeting with him for the purpose of getting to know him a bit better and share experiences. At present, have other counsel engages, though the process I am dealing with is likely to be more drawn out and tortured. He certainly does seem to be a person I could work with. Given my professional involvement in tax practice over the last 30+ years I work with counsel on client matters daily so I have pretty deep experience in the process. 

#71 flw

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Molly- anyone in or near Ogle Co ? i.e Winnebago or Boone or Lee or DeKalb Co.?

#72 GUNS&LAWYERS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Anyone know of a firearm defense friendly lawyer in central illinois?  Been Talking with a few, they are firearm friendly but lack indepth knowledge to answer all my questions.

Jim Kelly Law

4801 N. Prospect Road

Peoria Heights, IL 61616

309-679-0900

"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!% has hit the fan."
Warren Zevon

#73 xxxlaw

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

My firm filed suit in federal court today alleging the the Concealed Carry system violates the civil rights of Illinois handgun owners. Secret objections. Secret objectors. Secret evidence. Secret deliberations exempt from the Open Meetings Act. A vague and ambiguous standard. A sealed record immune to FOIA. A judicial review that is limited to the "record below", that is, to proceedings in which the applicant had no input, and in which the judge's only power is to review what he can order disclosed for abuse of discretion, and in which the judge has no power to permit the disappointed applicant to give his or her side of the story. The Board itself, by the Act describing its composition, is tilted to prosecutors and law enforcement agents. We are taking this one on, bow to stern, both on Due Process and Prior Restraint grounds.

I posted more about today's lawsuit at post #67 in the thread, "Appealing CCL Denial by Board of Review", http://illinoiscarry...ic=47833&page=3

J. D. Obenberger, Attorney at Law

115 South LaSalle Street, Suite 2600

Chicago, IL 60603

Edited by xxxlaw, 21 April 2014 - 06:57 PM.

Attorney JD Obenberger - 115 South LaSalle Street, Suite 2600 - Chicago, IL 60603 - 312.558.6420 - xxxlaw at gmail.com

#74 Molly B.

• 14,605 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

Needing a good attorney for a FOID appeal in the Rockford area.  Any recommendations?

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#75 flw

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Needing a good attorney for a FOID appeal in the Rockford area.  Any recommendations?

+1

#76 Molly B.

• 14,605 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

Anyone know a good attorney in the whiteside Co/Fulton, IL. area?

#77 Frankie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

We just hired these guys; edwilliamslaw.com (in crook county)

An online buddy recommended them andthey have 12 CCL cases. Sounds like they only do adminstrative law. Do FOID, etc.

So far so good!

(edit - when I say we 'just' hired them, I mean in 2014. Had used someone else in years passed.)

Edited by Frankie, 06 September 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#78 KZ1000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Just an fyi on Jennifer Stallings, I emailed her out of curiousity and she handles denials of foid / CCP licenses. She does not handle firearm defense cases.

Jennifer L. Stallings, Esq.
2000 McDonald Road, Suite 200
South Elgin, IL 60177
Phone: (847) 695-2400
Fax: (847) 695-2401
E-Mail: jstallings@attorneys-illinois.com

#79 junglebob

• 5,932 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

David Lawler is willing to take self defense cases supports concealed carry.  He works in the Adam B. Lawler firm in Marion Illinois, his uncle's firm I believe.  He did give me cards to  hand out to anyone who wants someone to contact in case of emergency.   He said he checks for messages even on weekends.  The firms phone number is 618-993-2222 and his email is dlawler@adamblawler.com 

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#80 flw

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Is there still no one in Winnebago/Boone/Stephenson/Ogle Counties yet? 

#81 Cougar8000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

Anthony N DiJohn

401 E Prospect Ave #212

Mount Prospect

847-255-2250

Alex
Firearm dealer - 01 license
RangeMaster instructor

Massad Ayoob staff instructor teaching Mas-20 range
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, PPITH and PPOTH, Chief Range Officer
Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

NRA Life member

Misha Tactical Arms on Facebook please like it :)

Special rate to Join NRA

www.mishatacticalarms.com

#82 JTHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

http://www.isra.org/..._referral.shtml

Molly - this link from your initial post isn't working anymore.  It gives a "404 - not found" error.  It appears they have moved/deleted the page.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#83 InterestedBystander

• 3,304 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

http://www.isra.org/..._referral.shtml

Molly - this link from your initial post isn't working anymore.  It gives a "404 - not found" error.  It appears they have moved/deleted the page.

They revamped the website not long ago.  I suspect the info is still there, just need to find the new page URL.  To see some things now, you need to be a member and logged in.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 09 November 2014 - 09:46 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#84 FarmHand357

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

David Lawler is willing to take self defense cases supports concealed carry.  He works in the Adam B. Lawler firm in Marion Illinois, his uncle's firm I believe.  He did give me cards to  hand out to anyone who wants someone to contact in case of emergency.   He said he checks for messages even on weekends.  The firms phone number is 618-993-2222 and his email is dlawler@adamblawler.com 

Junglebob, much appreciation for posting David Lawler's contact info.  Based upon your recommendation, I just had a pleasant chat with him.  He's very knowledgeable on 2nd Amendment issues in Illinois and, for us in the southern part of the state, is an excellent option as an emergency contact in the event that any of us are, God forbid, involved in a self-defense shooting.

After our discussion, I think he plans to join IllinoisCarry and is willing to provide other info, such as responses to hypothetical situations, for the forum.

Thanks again - FarmHand357

Punish the crime, not the freedom

#85 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

I thought I had posted this.   Here's a site for nationwide pro 2A lawyers.

http://www.theshootersbar.org/

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#86 junglebob

• 5,932 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

FarmHand357, Thanks for talking with David Lawler about joining the forum.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#87 Molly B.

• 14,605 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

Anyone know a reliable attorney in Vermillion Co.?

#88 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,861 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

I shall bookmark this thread for reference. Several of the ones I'm considering as an "on call" attorney are on this list. Good to have my research conclusions confirmed.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#89 flw

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

I would like to request that the names and info from this post be made into a PDF or a plain text file and put in with a sticky post. IN the pdf, please include the date created.

Thank you.

Edited by flw, 03 January 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#90 Molly B.

• 14,605 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Adding an attorney who has been successful in several CCL court appeals:

Ryan L. Powers
Froehling, Weber & Schell, LLP
167 West Elm Street
Canton, Illinois 61520
(309) 647-6317
(309) 647-6350 (fax)