FOID with a Conditional Residency

I am an experienced shooter from Belgium and moved to the US in October 2018.

It is now a bummer for me to drag either my wife or my brother in law (both US citizen with FOID) to be able to shoot and also not being allowed to purchase a firearm.

My question is : "Do you know if a FOID will be approved with a conditional residency?"

I received my conditional residency on 12.2.2019. I can apply to remove the conditions around 12.2.2021.

Thank you.

you must be a US Citizen or a Green Card holder to get a FOID.

I am a green card holder, but a specific one for 2 years (conditional residency). "Conditions" will be removed later.

There is absolutely no difference between a conditional and permanent. A conditional is valid for 2 years.

From ispfbs

What if I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I apply for a FOID Card?

Yes, you will be required to provide an A#, AR# or USCIS# upon application to determine your eligibility. This will be a 9-digit numerical number. You can find these numbers on either your Permanent Resident Card or Employment Authorization Card. If you do not have either of these, please visit www.CBP.gov to obtain your I-94#. This number is 11 numerical digits.
Edited by ecillinois

Permanent residents (green card holders) can own firearms under federal law. Citizenship is not required.

The question is whether the ISP will issue a FOID to a conditional green card holder or whether he must be an unconditional green card holder.

Since the ATF is fine with it, I'd expect the ISP would be, as well. That's just a guess, though.

I am an experienced shooter from Belgium and moved to the US in October 2018.

It is now a bummer for me to drag either my wife or my brother in law (both US citizen with FOID) to be able to shoot and also not being allowed to purchase a firearm.

My question is : "Do you know if a FOID will be approved with a conditional residency?"

I received my conditional residency on 12.2.2019. I can apply to remove the conditions around 12.2.2021.

Thank you.

I see no reason for you to not apply. As you noted above, legal aliens are eligible for a FOID. In the online application process you must provide your Illinois drivers license number or state ID number. You are asked a number of questions that concern possible criminal background, domestic violence, and illegal drug use, etc. Unless you lose your legal immigration status, your FOID should remain valid at the end of 2 years. You are here legally. Supposedly you have more rights than illegals to whom the state give drivers licenses.

Some here might suggest consulting a lawyer. A lawyer's fee for consultation would be much greater than the $10.00 + service fee for the FOID application.

Edited by Quiet Observer